• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need a new (to me) car

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, go with honda if you want to hear every groove, bump, and deformity in the road regardless of what you spend on tires. I've tried the quietest of Michellin tires to get rid of road noise, and Honda just loves to keep you in tune with the road I guess. :)
I found that to be the case with most open ended( hatchbacks and wagons) cars/SUVs.
Turn up the sports talk radio

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait for the VW truck next year. Mercedes has one coming too. This one needs a winch.

BN-RO642_CHICKE_H_20170110143246.jpg

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found that to be the case with most open ended( hatchbacks and wagons) cars/SUVs.
Turn up the sports talk radio

haha, turn up the radio is how I drown out the road noise too, The Ticket in fact. When I finally ditched my 4Runner I decided to give Honda another try. Never again. The 4Runner was an SR5, so not their top of the line. The PIlot is a 4WD touring (don't get me started on their joke of a 4WD system) and it's annoyingly loud. My main beef with them was when I went back and had their mechanic ride around with me going 45 MPH and letting him listen to the squealing/whining noise. "oh that? That's normal. We have a kit we can install to fix that". Then he told me what it would cost to buy and install, and that even though Honda knows about the defect on all Pilots of that body style they think it is just cosmetic and won't offer a free or discounted fix.

So Honda is dead to me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait for the VW truck next year. Mercedes has one coming too. This one needs a winch.

BN-RO642_CHICKE_H_20170110143246.jpg

New Ranger and Bronco "should" be out this year. That Bronco is what I'm waiting for!!!!

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The corvette SUV? I'm talking about a cayenne, not a 911.
In that case, unless your hauling your children to soccer practice and hanging with your girlfriends at Starbucks, don’t buy a Porsche suv :thumb:

Honda’s are ok. Reliable so long as you keep up with the maintenance but a real bear to work on. I did some work on my son’s and I’ll never touch a Honda engine again

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^THIS^^ Have 125K on my '09, no real issues (Tires, Wipers, Brakes)

2009_Dodge_Ram_SLT_Big_Horn_Quad_Cab.jpg

Except, I have the Ram Box...

31d1387835895-ram-box-yea-ney-0908_03_z-2009_dodge_ram_1500-rambox.jpg

Has lights and a drain plug...

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab - Kelley Blue Book

Fits your price range too if you can find one with 25K miles...

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab ST Pickup 4D 6 1/4 ft Trade In Values - Kelley Blue Book

It's that Blatz and Stroh's? :wtf:

I didn't know either were still available. And THEN, I see Vernon's Ginger Ale. :yes:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, go with honda if you want to hear every groove, bump, and deformity in the road regardless of what you spend on tires. I've tried the quietest of Michellin tires to get rid of road noise, and Honda just loves to keep you in tune with the road I guess. :)

"Well, uh...that's FEEDBACK! You need that in order to make informed driving decisions, and ONLY HONDA gives you that amount of feedback"

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Well, uh...that's FEEDBACK! You need that in order to make informed driving decisions, and ONLY HONDA gives you that amount of feedback"

You guys make fun of it, but I do like that. When my grandfather passed he left me his prized Cadillac. My dad raved about how those big Cadillac were like riding in a cloud (it was a 98 coupe deville) my grandpa had loved it too. Me? I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Felt so disconnected from the road.

I doubt a Pilot or MDX, or any other 2 ton SUV is going to give anywhere near as much "feedback" as my compact hatchback econobox.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys make fun of it, but I do like that. When my grandfather passed he left me his prized Cadillac. My dad raved about how those big Cadillac were like riding in a cloud (it was a 98 coupe deville) my grandpa had loved it too. Me? I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Felt so disconnected from the road.

I doubt a Pilot or MDX, or any other 2 ton SUV is going to give anywhere near as much "feedback" as my compact hatchback econobox.

BAHAHAHAH!

Wait, you're serious??? I was just making a joke. You know, how the salesman always tries to spin something negative into a selling point?

giphy.gif

I like feedback in my golf clubs, but not necessarily in my car

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5000 miles as opposed to 3000 for non synthetic. It's not 3 times longer.
mobil-1-extended-performance-oil.png

15,000 Guaranteed Harry, and if you do oil analysis and flushing, the drain intervals may extend well beyond this for larger sump capacities.

Last edited:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only use OEM recommended oil. Many newer OHC engines use the engine oil as a lubricant and for hydraulics. Using other brands is not a good idea.
It's not the 'brand' that's not a good idea, rather using non spec'd oil is not a good idea.

If the lubricant meets the OEM specs than it is fine. As a matter of fact it can very well be better in some cases with more robust additive packages....

The OEM specs just means it meets the minimum requirements for suitable use.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the 'brand' that's not a good idea, rather using non spec'd oil is not a good idea.

If the lubricant meets the OEM specs than it is fine. As a matter of fact it can very well be better in some cases with more robust additive packages....

The OEM specs just means it meets the minimum requirements for suitable use.
There are certain additives and detergents found in OEM that aftermarket doesn’t have. Most cars wouldn’t matter. I’ve noticed a significant difference in late model ford engines, 4.6 and 5.0 coyote in particular, that run a different oil that might meet spec but still have small issues. Nothing major. The phasers get kind of noisy. Figured it was just the mustangs running the royal purple but know some f150 owners that have the same issues. Mostly noise but some were blaming clogged oil ports and worn lifters in it too. switching back to motorcraft fixes it.

Harry Seaword

Hoopla Cash
$ 266.84
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mobil-1-extended-performance-oil.png

15,000 Guaranteed Harry, and if you do oil analysis and flushing, the drain intervals may extend well beyond this for larger sump capacities.

Oh I'm aware of the stuff I just don't trust going that long without an oil change and I would never recommend it to a customer driving a Porsche.

They have nothing to gain from lying about the quality so it probably works. But I wouldn't take the chance.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeep Wrangler is supposedly getting a pickup this year.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just missed the opportune time of the year to buy a new vehicle, but I'm also not in a huge hurry either. My car just rolled over 100k, and lots of little stuff is starting to go wrong. Just recently had to replace all 4 tires, my windshield wipers, and both front low beams within a month or so of each other. Belts of some sort are squeaking on startup but then are fine after 2-3 minutes. The clutch is starting to squeel, too cold to check, but brake pads have got to be due. Etc. Just a bunch of stuff I don't want to deal with on an old car. The big thing is it burns through about a quart of oil every week (500 miles ish).

And the biggest problem of all is that while I love driving my little subaru impreza, my 3 kids have officially outgrown it. And at 14, 12, and 10 they're not done growing yet either.

Looking for something big enough for everyone. But I still need AWD. And I'm not officially set on prices, but I put ~25,000 miles on a car every year so need low miles to start with if I want to avoid being the guy left holding the hot potato when the music stops.

So far I'm looking at
* 14-15 Acura MDX's. I really like this generation of MDX, but it's kind of more than I wanted to spend at around $25k
* 16-17 Honda Pilot not quite as luxurious, but almost as nice. If that makes sense. Probably cheaper to fix as well.
* Ford Escapes under 50k miles. Not sure what years I'm looking at yet, I don't know how long the model years were, but an acquaintance had a 17 that seemed really nice and a much better deal financially than the Honda. Would only get with the v6 ecoboost. The others are apparently dogs.
* Really looking at just stepping up to the Subaru Legacy with the 3.6 h6. But not sure it will be big enough for the kids, and will still feel too big to me.
* Chevy Traverse I keep hearing great things about these but I've never even looked at one really in person.
* and out of left field there seems to gevgreat deals to be had on older low mileage Porsche Cayennes. Would obviously be the most fun to drive, but I'm not sure I want to pay Porsche repair bills. And I don't know about their longevity. Porsche has the highest build quality of anything I'm looking at, but aren't exactly known for their owners putting 100k+ on them.

Anybody have strong feelings about any of those to look closer at? Or which to avoid? Anything else in the same crossover suv segment to look at, or just mid to full size cars that I'm ignoring?

This has a touch of class...

wienermobile_billboard.ashx

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking to offload it before replacing the clutch at least. Unless I keep it for my daughter. Not sure I want to teach her to drive a stick on a brand new clutch though either...

She's 14, start teaching her on this vehicle. I applaud you for teaching your children on a stick. I did. My 20 year old daughter learned to drive manual. Her current car is a manual. She tells me how none of her friends (boys or girls) know how. My 15 year old has been driving a manual transmission for 2 years now. I take her onto back roads and let her drive.