• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Soooo Bevell gets cute again in 1st and goal

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you understand the concept, Cloud, and it's a basic business principle and is the #1
concept Bevell should execute during the week. I can't believe this clown works on a game plan for 50-65 hours a week and comes up with the trash we see on Sunday. SWOT has to be performed by every organization. Apple vs Samsung or Boeing vs Airbus and the list is endless. Simplified Offensive version.

INTERNAL:

S trengths -

A dynamic, playmaking franchise QB in RWill that is effective outside the pocket, running the read option. Can execute play action. A beast at RB that only gets tougher as the game goes on. Has incredible vision for a power back and is still elusive in the open field for his toughness.

W eakness -

Currently, the Offensive line with 2 Offensive tackles that are either out of position or are too inexperienced to contain edge rushers. A bit light on a tall receiver.

EXTERNAL

O pportunities -

From a football perspective, Bevell should keep this blank until he fills in the threat portion and he can re-visit.

T hreats -

From jumpstreet, against the powerhouse front 7's like Carolina, Texans, 9ers, Zona, Rams. Those teams have a pass rush that our young OT's can NOT contain. I listed specific game plans for those type of teams prior to game #1.

O pportunites are re-visited.

From a simplified version, Bevell should now construct the game plan opportunities. The opportunities CHANGE week to week as the opponent changes. (threats)

For example, in the Rams game with Quinn and Long, who love to go edge, you run plays to send them edge and you 1. Run through that vacated c-d gap with a Sweezy moving out to take out the LB. You run screens to either side of the formation.

The Screen to Turbin worked extremely well so why was it only executed once? Rb's should be catching 5-6 screens every week with these Tackles. Typically, the DL can sniff out a screen because the OL will allow the DL to get past them and they yell, screen. With power DE's, they won't even think they're being let into the backfield because they're doing it so easily. lol

If you want RWill to roll out, allow the edge to come up the field and RWill moves into that spot to look down the seams or go 9 route. Is there a QB that can move left or right on the move and throw a better ball? Aaron Rodgers in the only guy that compares.

Do not call for long developing plays in the pocket, especially, deep in our territory where only bad things can happen. Fumbles and easy opponent TD's.

Bevell should probably know that his empty backfield sets make RWill a sitting duck. The play does not work! Burn the lamination and start over.

Pound Lynch, Pound Lynch and Pound Lynch, especially inside the red zone. There should be a certain variety of plays that you call at differing locations on the field. Enough to not make it obvious from the same formations.

Now without Rice, I think we need to get Willson split out to take advantage of his height and speed. I don't care about his inexperience. We will need Luke to be a contributing factor down the road and needs reps in games that aren't blow outs.

This is a simplified version and it's obvious Bevell doesn't execute this process, obvious. Does he track plays and their success? No way he does during the week.

None of us are O-Co's and we don't act like we are but the #1 objective to implement a game plan is to start from a simple SWOT analysis and then break down the details. We all see it when we watch the game, so how does an experienced O-Co that has all week to do 1 thing and that's to prepare an Offensive game plan look so clueless?

:gaah:

Great post and I 100% agree on all front. The SWOT concept was very new to me when I first took Business of Technology course last spring. I didn't think of it much, but throughout the quarter, SWOT was the point of emphasis on how to become successful and it really took off with me. Needless to say, it was one of the best class I took.

Back on topic though, your analysis of this is very spot on. On offense, it's very clear to see that our main strength is the running game and it will always continue to be so as long as PC and Lynch are here. Very clear to me that Bevelll is not playing to our strength.

Also, our weakness right now is the OLine and it's quite clear. Obviously, until we get the keys players back, I would contend that we play TE's to help with the blocking to help mitigate that weakness and it sure as hell will prevent Wilson from getting hurt.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably the thing about being a second year QB is that sometimes you don't want to question the play-calling by the OC. Wilson is no doubt a leader on the field and sometimes he takes matter into his own hands, but I feel like majority of those times is when the play broke down. That play yesterday looked like it was designed as Lynch was actually looking to block. Eventually, what I would love to see is that even in a designed play by the OC Wilson can just take charge and hand the ball off to Lynch in that situation. With a power running game, I just hate hate hate that we have to throw inside the 5.

Between this and what Stu said, I agree.

RW is a leader, but will he challenge his OC and change the play, Peyton would.
Makes me wonder if RW thinks internally, OK, I try it. I hope not, I want RW to think, that is not the right call, I'm changing it to this. Peyton would.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you understand the concept, Cloud, and it's a basic business principle and is the #1
concept Bevell should execute during the week. I can't believe this clown works on a game plan for 50-65 hours a week and comes up with the trash we see on Sunday. SWOT has to be performed by every organization. Apple vs Samsung or Boeing vs Airbus and the list is endless. Simplified Offensive version.

INTERNAL:

S trengths -

A dynamic, playmaking franchise QB in RWill that is effective outside the pocket, running the read option. Can execute play action. A beast at RB that only gets tougher as the game goes on. Has incredible vision for a power back and is still elusive in the open field for his toughness.

W eakness -

Currently, the Offensive line with 2 Offensive tackles that are either out of position or are too inexperienced to contain edge rushers. A bit light on a tall receiver.

EXTERNAL

O pportunities -

From a football perspective, Bevell should keep this blank until he fills in the threat portion and he can re-visit.

T hreats -

From jumpstreet, against the powerhouse front 7's like Carolina, Texans, 9ers, Zona, Rams. Those teams have a pass rush that our young OT's can NOT contain. I listed specific game plans for those type of teams prior to game #1.

From a simplified version, Bevell should now construct the game plan opportunities. The opportunities CHANGE week to week as the opponent changes. (threats)

For example, in the Rams game with Quinn and Long, who love to go edge, you run plays to send them edge and you 1. Run through that vacated c-d gap with a Sweezy moving out to take out the LB. You run screens to either side of the formation.

The Screen to Turbin worked extremely well so why was it only executed once? Rb's should be catching 5-6 screens every week with these Tackles. Typically, the DL can sniff out a screen because the OL will allow the DL to get past them and they yell, screen. With power DE's, they won't even think they're being let into the backfield because they're doing it so easily. lol

If you want RWill to roll out, allow the edge to come up the field and RWill moves into that spot to look down the seams or go 9 route. Is there a QB that can move left or right on the move and throw a better ball? Aaron Rodgers in the only guy that compares.

Do not call for long developing plays in the pocket, especially, deep in our territory where only bad things can happen. Fumbles and easy opponent TD's.

Bevell should probably know that his empty backfield sets make RWill a sitting duck. The play does not work! Burn the lamination and start over.

Pound Lynch, Pound Lynch and Pound Lynch, especially inside the red zone. There should be a certain variety of plays that you call at differing locations on the field. Enough to not make it obvious from the same formations.

Now without Rice, I think we need to get Willson split out to take advantage of his height and speed. I don't care about his inexperience. We will need Luke to be a contributing factor down the road and needs reps in games that aren't blow outs.

This is a simplified version and it's obvious Bevell doesn't execute this process, obvious. Does he track plays and their success? No way he does during the week.

None of us are O-Co's and we don't act like we are but the #1 objective to implement a game plan is to start from a simple SWOT analysis and then break down the details. We all see it when we watch the game, so how does an experienced O-Co that has all week to do 1 thing and that's to prepare an Offensive game plan look so clueless?

Did you just do a 'swot' analysis on NFL football? If I were a hot chick I'd **** you.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post and I 100% agree on all front. The SWOT concept was very new to me when I first took Business of Technology course last spring. I didn't think of it much, but throughout the quarter, SWOT was the point of emphasis on how to become successful and it really took off with me. Needless to say, it was one of the best class I took.

Back on topic though, your analysis of this is very spot on. On offense, it's very clear to see that our main strength is the running game and it will always continue to be so as long as PC and Lynch are here. Very clear to me that Bevelll is not playing to our strength.

Also, our weakness right now is the OLine and it's quite clear. Obviously, until we get the keys players back, I would contend that we play TE's to help with the blocking to help mitigate that weakness and it sure as hell will prevent Wilson from getting hurt.

I'm glad you liked that course. Use that concept and talk up how you used a SWOT analysis in any interview and any future business planning strategy. It's amazing the vision and analytical focus you get from it. Use it in any game like Chess or even Backgammon. Football is a simple usage.

We have 2 strengths in RWill and Lynch. 2 weakness in the OT's and big receiver.
So get creative, use those strengths in pounding Lynch and get him into screens and wheel routes. Incorporate a speedy and tall TE in Willson. It's another TD from Wilson to Willson. Avoid anything (until Okung and Breno) return that gets RWill plastered. Empty backfield and deep developing pocket plays. Deep plays come off of roll outs.

If RWill goes down, Bevell is a dead man.. :suds:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This week instead of just getting two unnecessary hits on Wilson, Wilson throws a pick that very well could of cost them the game.

I honestly dont understand why you don't give the ball to your battering ram running back.

So let's try and figure it out.

A: Bevell was going against Lynch in Fantasy football yesterday
B: He "doesn't like Lynch" ahem (Varsity Blues Coach Kilmer style)
C: He wants to pad Wilsons stats to help his own resume for next years coaching carousel
D: Has a secret feud with Coach Cable
E: Jim Harbaugh has kidnapped his wife and the playcalling is the ransom....

Option E sounds about right.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

INTERNAL:

S trengths -

W eakness -

EXTERNAL

O pportunities -

T hreats -

My guess is they do make the analysis, but are being intentional about attempting to impose their will and gameplan on the other team. It has been my understanding of PC's philosophy that they want to first and foremost do what they want to do. This is very evident in the first half of games. They first run some of their scripted plays, then they make some adjustments to see if they can execute them better. By halftime, if the adjustments aren't working, then they make larger adjustments that are specific to the opponent. It is very frustrating to not see adjustments or attacking the opponents weakness earlier in the game.

Maybe I am wrong and it just appears this way, but it is certainly baffling, especially in the Rams game when every other back runs for 150+ against them and we don't feed Marshawn.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok people i understand your feelings on the call but lets not forget something. That pick right there was one of the best defensive plays i have seen in a long time. That was great reflexes right there and even better athletic ability. That is a TD 99% of the time but WOW what a great play.

Don't go and turn a absolutely outstanding play into "oh it was a bad call" because it wasn't. The player was open the pass was on target and this guy reacted so fast and got a hand on it then was able to get his own deflection for a int. hind sight is 20/20 but don't let the Seahawk blue glasses blind you to what was a GREAT play by Tandy.

Sure it looked ugly but Baldwin had a step, Tandy was darn near on the LOS as TB had 9 people in the box (Including Tandy) to stop any type of run. Well anyway i could go back and explain every second of that play but i believe we all saw it and understand that Tandy made a HUGE play that only great player make once or twice a year. Don't taint it with your Hate for Bevell

:suds:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok people i understand your feelings on the call but lets not forget something. That pick right there was one of the best defensive plays i have seen in a long time. That was great reflexes right there and even better athletic ability. That is a TD 99% of the time but WOW what a great play.

Don't go and turn a absolutely outstanding play into "oh it was a bad call" because it wasn't. The player was open the pass was on target and this guy reacted so fast and got a hand on it then was able to get his own deflection for a int. hind sight is 20/20 but don't let the Seahawk blue glasses blind you to what was a GREAT play by Tandy.

Sure it looked ugly but Baldwin had a step, Tandy was darn near on the LOS as TB had 9 people in the box (Including Tandy) to stop any type of run. Well anyway i could go back and explain every second of that play but i believe we all saw it and understand that Tandy made a HUGE play that only great player make once or twice a year. Don't taint it with your Hate for Bevell

Who cares how the play looked if it would have worked.

1. It didn't
2. It's not hindsight to say that play never should have been called. Lynch is a power back. He gets 3+ yards all the freaking time. When 60,000+ people are yelling "BEAST" and the guy who gets paid to not screw this up doesn't do the one thing that the team excels at, there's a problem.

This isn't the first time this has happened, obviously. Last week we tried 3 times to get in without using Lynch and it didn't work very well. The definition of insanity comes to mind here.

Run the damn ball! It's really not that hard to figure it out.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.3 yards to be exact. But whatever right? And I agree, even if the play had worked out I would contend that you run the ball 10/10 times in that situation.

And I don't think anyone is taking away a great play by Tandy, you run the ball in that situation and Tandy wouldn't even come into play. It's not hindsight.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every fan is a hall of fame coach calling games in hind sight lol

If the Hawks had ran it 3 times and gotten stuffed and had to settle for a fg...there would be a thread started by someone asking the offense to be "less predictable"

I think it's safe to say that the general consensus is that we as seahawk fans would prefer to feed the beast. I am on that side as well

But everyone is unfairly criticizing the play. It wasn't a bad play call. It was bad execution. There's a few reasons why that pick was thrown

1. Russell blindly anticipated the throw instead of actually looking at the defense
2. Russell tried to quick pass it instead of lofting it to the back of the end zone where it would have either been td or incomplete
3. Russell's height actually played a part in this and he wasn't able to see the defender
4. The defender made a damn good play reacting on the pass after a very good play action

If you watch the play again, tampa was absolutely stacking the box playing their picket fence defense. I mean we can be stubborn and try to run it but chances are it would have resulted in a no gain or loss of yardage. The percentages were more in favor of a play action and pass to the back of the end zone to Baldwin who was open.

Point is...everyone is all over Bevell but why aren't we criticizing Russell for making such a bad mistake? He made TWO bad mistakes in the red zone that cost us potentially 10-14 pts.

I'm not a fan of Bevell by any stretch but I do feel like he becomes the scapegoat of every offensive problem that we have.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every fan is a hall of fame coach calling games in hind sight lol

If the Hawks had ran it 3 times and gotten stuffed and had to settle for a fg...there would be a thread started by someone asking the offense to be "less predictable"

I think it's safe to say that the general consensus is that we as seahawk fans would prefer to feed the beast. I am on that side as well

But everyone is unfairly criticizing the play. It wasn't a bad play call. It was bad execution. There's a few reasons why that pick was thrown

1. Russell blindly anticipated the throw instead of actually looking at the defense
2. Russell tried to quick pass it instead of lofting it to the back of the end zone where it would have either been td or incomplete
3. Russell's height actually played a part in this and he wasn't able to see the defender
4. The defender made a damn good play reacting on the pass after a very good play action

If you watch the play again, tampa was absolutely stacking the box playing their picket fence defense. I mean we can be stubborn and try to run it but chances are it would have resulted in a no gain or loss of yardage. The percentages were more in favor of a play action and pass to the back of the end zone to Baldwin who was open.

Point is...everyone is all over Bevell but why aren't we criticizing Russell for making such a bad mistake? He made TWO bad mistakes in the red zone that cost us potentially 10-14 pts.

I'm not a fan of Bevell by any stretch but I do feel like he becomes the scapegoat of every offensive problem that we have.

:agree:

this was what i was trying to say. Had Tandy not made an absolutely outstanding play no one is talking about this call. No One because it would have been a TD to a wide open Baldwin.

Also agree with the statement on Wilson, he is not playing well right now. His throws to start the season were high more than not and now they are late or "behind" his target. He is not as sharp as he was last season. He needs to fix this because it's become common to see him missing targets this season that he wasn't missing last season.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tandy was outside the RT and at the goalline, 3 yards off the line. He shifted to the middle on the snap. He jumped and tipped the ball up and then grabbed it. He was watching Wilson's eyes the whole time and never bit on the play fake to Marshawn. Basically they were showing weakness up the middle and then he slid to the middle to cover the run up the middle or the pass over the middle. I really don't think it was an incredible play as you think it was.

I agree with Logicallylethal. The execution was the problem. RW read that Tandy was outside and Baldwins route would take him inside. Tandy slid middle on the snap and RW made a jump pass after faking the handoff. Defenses are daring RW to throw over the middle where passing lanes and vision is tougher for him as well as the O-line is a broken levy during a hurricane. If we come out with a 12, 22, or 21, then they are forced to bring a bigger defensive package in.

The main reason we are good at stopping TDs is because the playing field is small, so why are we also trying to squeeze it in when we don't have a tall WR or an O-line that can protect for more than 3 seconds.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they do make the analysis, but are being intentional about attempting to impose their will and gameplan on the other team. It has been my understanding of PC's philosophy that they want to first and foremost do what they want to do. This is very evident in the first half of games. They first run some of their scripted plays, then they make some adjustments to see if they can execute them better. By halftime, if the adjustments aren't working, then they make larger adjustments that are specific to the opponent. It is very frustrating to not see adjustments or attacking the opponents weakness earlier in the game.

Maybe I am wrong and it just appears this way, but it is certainly baffling, especially in the Rams game when every other back runs for 150+ against them and we don't feed Marshawn.

I wish your guess was evident but unfortunately, Bevell is clueless. It's not just that 1 play, it' s been a collective clusterfuck of calls all year and goes back to the playoff games vs the Skins and Falcons.

I was pounding Jack Daniel shooters that I snuck in the Hawks/Skins game because of the crap Bevell was calling during those first few series. The guy sucks ballz considering he has all week to strategically game plan for opponents.

You do NOT impose some crap game plan or WILL on another opponent if you have a GLARING weakness and are going up against an opponents STRENGTH. That is how you get your ass kicked!

If Bevell doesn't execute a SWOT analysis, he can at least read the Art of War and utilize those principles. My fear is that he's going to fuck up our playoff run. Yes, BOTH of those at the 10 yd line
play calls for zero points at Atlanta screwed us.

The read option carry by either RWill or Beast would've walked into the end zone. It should've been 20-10 instead of 20-0. Sure, we came back and lost because of zone D the last 30 seconds, but it should NEVER have come down to that, never.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And let's not look at a 1 play sample size that you want to refute. Look at each and every game. I still say this was a bonehead play call. It's risky and no difference than Warner trying a pass in the 1st half of the SB that was pick 6 an 10-14 pt swing. No different than Buffalo vs the Chiefs on Sunday for a 100 yd pick 6 and loss. It's a dick move play, regardless of how you want to spin it = DICK MOVE.

The empty backfields that are getting our QB pounded. The long developing pass plays deep in our territory vs Zona that turned into 10 points. The lack of pounding the ball, the lack of screen passes when Lynch should have 60 for the season, not 19 after 9 games.

This list could go on and on and on and on.... It's beyond hate for Bevell.... It's this clown is going to get our franchise QB sent to the ER and if not, will Fuck us in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong but my insight is usually pretty solid. That's the real problem. Not the hate but the love of this squad and the pending disaster that awaits us and nothing as fans can do but watch.

Time to send in letters to HQ. I will cut and paste what I send to PC, Bevell, JS. Mass mailings.

:yahoo: :nod:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything Osprey is saying is spot on. Bevell has a LOOOONG history of making God awful play calls at pivotal times. And I dont see an "impose our will" tendency in him, if that were the case we would run Lynch 4 times with goal to go at the 1.

Instead he tries to outsmart the defense but in the end only outsmarts himself.

I will never understand why Jeremy Bates was fired after he called that playoff game against the Saints, yet Bevell has been terrible his entire career here and they give him an extension.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything Osprey is saying is spot on. Bevell has a LOOOONG history of making God awful play calls at pivotal times. And I dont see an "impose our will" tendency in him, if that were the case we would run Lynch 4 times with goal to go at the 1.

Instead he tries to outsmart the defense but in the end only outsmarts himself.

I will never understand why Jeremy Bates was fired after he called that playoff game against the Saints, yet Bevell has been terrible his entire career here and they give him an extension.

What I meant by impose our will is that in the first half of games, we run our plays. The plays we feel we are good at, regardless of the strength or weakness of the other team. I guess it is sort of like taking the temperature of the other team. If they effectively stop us, then we make minor adjustments to execution and see if that helps. If they still stop us, then they go to plays they feel attack the weakness of the other team. I sort of agree with Osprey, although I do not think Bevell is clueless. If I had it my way, we would run, run, run on 1st and goal with Lynch.

It was interesting gathering that data, because my current impression is Bevell does get too cute on Goal to go situations, but as you can see from the data, we have run more often then not. As I said, starting with the Indy or Tenessee game it has been more of a 50/50. I would prefer more like 60/40 in those situations, but this is a small sample size, so it may lean back in that direction again, especially if/when we get Okung and Giac back. Before the Indy game we ran on 10 plays and passed on 3, for 77% runs. We had 4 rushing TDs, 2 passing TDs and a FG. 16 of the 36 total plays that were not penalties, kicks or turnovers, were to Lynch. 44% runs. I would like to see that number much higher since we are a power football team and our O-line's supposed strength is run blocking.

I am not a Bevell defender, just bringing the facts, since I felt the same way about getting too cute at the goal line. Basically, he has, for the last few games, but not for the season.