• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So who gets sent down when Cueto returns

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake definately has minor league options, but he also has a MLB contract, meaning his salary doesn't drop when he goes to AAA, as opposed to a guy like Cingrani, who gets a MLB minimum salary pro- rated when he's up, and gets a decrease to AAA wages when he goes down...not that it should be a deciding factor or anything.

I have a more cynical reason for believing Leake wont be sent to AAA- I think Dusty would take it as an indictment that he made a miscalculation on his rotation to begin with this spring, and he never admits or corrects a mistake.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake definately has minor league options, but he also has a MLB contract, meaning his salary doesn't drop when he goes to AAA, as opposed to a guy like Cingrani, who gets a MLB minimum salary pro- rated when he's up, and gets a decrease to AAA wages when he goes down...not that it should be a deciding factor or anything.

I have a more cynical reason for believing Leake wont be sent to AAA- I think Dusty would take it as an indictment that he made a miscalculation on his rotation to begin with this spring, and he never admits or corrects a mistake.

We shall see then, as I was taking what I thought to be a logical approach to this, but, as you allude to, there is nothing saying that Dusty will make his decision based on logic, so........?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 5 of the last 50 World Series winners didn't have a lefty starting pitcher, and one of them beat a team that didn't have one either. Shame on Dusty if he doesn't recognize that. He's had 2 chances to add a quality LHSP and if he refuses both, I'd like to hear him defend how 90% of the Champs in the last 50 years were doing it wrong.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing for sure, someone is going to the minors, traded or released. Cingrani has pitched will and doesn't deserve to be sent down. Leake hasn't that bad. Maybe they will send someone in the bullpen down. Which brings another question to mind. What are they going to do with Parra? In my opinion they should have never signed the guy.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say Leake hasn't pitched that bad

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other considerations apply.

First off, does the team need another long man (righty) out of the pen? Simon gets very little work now and when he pitches, he's ready. Leake would make Simon redundant.

Next, we have Manny Parra on the DL ... can't keep him there forever. I'd rather ship him off to somebody who has an extra RH bat to deal. Not likely gonna make that happen right now.

Parra doesn't expect to be a starter, but we don't really need him either though he also has a big-league salary.

Honestly, I don't see Leake being sent out.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake hasn't pitched that bad, but he's not lefthanded, he's not making $11m, and he's not Cueto, Bailey or Latos. To me, that means he's the 7th best SP option on the roster(including Chapman). Chapman's already in the pen, so he's stil going to send 1 better SP option out if the rotation if he's still in it. Who is a better long term keeper, Leake or Simon ? There are other choices... Hoover has options left, for instance. Parra can't be traded to anyone willing to pay his $1.5 mil. It may be moot- Cingrani has options and Dusty already sent him down once. He'll do it again.repeatedly.redundantly. It's his M-O.

BuckBearcat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is SOOOO not going to happen, and it's really thinking outside the box, but it just popped into my mind. Suppose someone approaches the Reds about a starting pitcher. What if the Reds offered Arroyo to someone and offered to pay a fair part of the salary? That would leave a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani and Leake. That's a first look at next year's rotation. What if it started half a season earlier?

I seriously would not expect this to happen, and I think Arroyo is an important part of this team. I'm just throwing out something that, regardless of how unlikely, popped into my brain.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo would be a nice pickup for somebody who is a nickel short of a dollar. I can think of a number of teams who fit that description, LAA being the main one. Even so, I don't think adding another component to their machine is exactly their problem.

A lot of teams would love to have Bronson in their rotation. He needed a little more run support this year and last to have numbers that would put him in the Reds Hall of Fame.

Bronson tends to mess up the opposition hitters. I like him best when he is in the middle of a three-game series.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Arroyo stay, but the money is a big thing. The MLBPA puts a lot of pressure on players to get top bucks... they tell them it protects future players, and all that feel good horse dung just to get higher fees from players.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaving out prospects like Bob Stevenson, Daniel Corcino and maybe one other, let's do this list.

Cueto
Bailey
Cingrani
Latos
Arroyo
Leake
Chapman (just for kicks. Wait, no ... Cueto is for kicks. Chapman is for Ks. **sorry**)

maybe not in that order, but the list is what it is.

Is it worth it to bring Arroyo back to pitch ahead of Leake?
As of today, I would say it is. That being, if you could sign the guy for a year with an option.

Come 2015, should I be kicking, unlike Cueto, then we will maybe see some movement from the kids in the system who would maybe shove somebody else out of the way. Not likely, given the ages of Bailey, Cueto, Cingrani and Latos. I assume none of them will get hurt. Assumptions being pretty absurd with MLB pitching.

A year ago, I would not have wanted Arroyo back, but he shows no signs of wearing out and gets better, actually. I don't know what the predictable dropoff should be from good-to-OK-to-about like Roy Oswalt. Bronson has had no history of being hurt. His mechanics are good.

Cueto, on the other hand .....

Leake to the bullpen next year if they re-sign Bronson?
Or do they let Bronson walk and hope Leake is going to actually mature?
Or does somebody else we haven't mentioned step in and take that 5th spot?

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reported Cueto will make his return on Monday against the Mets.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally find arroyo the funnest to watch pitch at the yard. love a behind the plate seat to gawk at his breaking stuff. also, i find his absolute honesty about himself, and the game in general, refreshing. plus, anybody that beans alex rodriquez is ok by me. bronson revealed him for what he is. a whiny pretentious, emotionally stunted grown man-child.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW its almost certain that it will be Cingrani sent down. After Dustys comments after tonight's game.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doing better than whom, Dusty????

Mike Leake to keep rotation spot?
by Ed Gauna | CBSSports.com
Reds manager Dusty Baker hinted after Wednesday's game against the Marlins that Mike Leake will remain in the rotation even with Johnny Cueto set to come off the disabled list next week, the Cincinnati Enqurier reports. He said the right-hander has earned his spot.

"Who’s talking about keeping his spot?" Baker said. "He’s doing better than some of the guys on our staff. I don’t understand why it comes down to Leake and somebody else. Leakie’s pitched well. He’s taken us deep into games."

Baker did not give any insight on who could be bumped from the rotation upon Cueto's return.

"We’ll let you know when that happens," Baker said. "I don’t think it was a matter of Leakie pitching to keep his spot. It was his spot before anyone else came. You just don’t give up on somebody that quick."

Tony Cingrani could be odd man out
by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com
Reds starting pitcher Tony Cingrani is hoping not to lose his spot in the rotation upon Johnny Cueto's return, but Wednesday was not an encouraging day.

Cingrani told reporters Tuesday that he would not be surprised if he ends up being sent back down to Triple-A,

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally find arroyo the funnest to watch pitch at the yard

I totally agree with you chico. I love watching Bronson pitch too. I forget who we were playing but it was the featured game on FOX a couple of Saturdays ago and the announcers did an a live dugout interview with Bronson during the game. He told him that throughout his career he never had the mid 90's fastball so he adjusted and learned off speed pitches, breaking balls, different arm angles, etc to fool batters. His approach was more of a chess game than anything else. Yeah, he has one or two REALLY bad outings a year but he consistently gives you quality starts and NEVER is injured.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty NEVER gives up on a guy "that quick"...even guys doing FAR worse than Leake. He gave Patterson 300 leadoff at bats hittong less rhan .200, with Jay Bruce hitting .350 in AAA.... daja vue Stubbs, Gomes, etc. As I said earlier, I'll be shocked if Cingrani doesn't go back. Not because it makes us best, but because Dusty doesn't have to reverse decisions made in Spring Training.

Norhing against Leake , but I don't think it's a fluke coincidence that only 5 of the last 50 World Series winners had at least one LHSP. Either Dustaroo isn't aware of that fact, or doesn't give a schidt.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is live to have Arroyo back. And Choo. And is live to believe Broxton is going to be fine with being promised a closers job?, making closer money, yet pitching setup... and I'd also like to win the lottery and Dusty to win a World Series with the Reds... and have world peace and see the price of gasoline at $1.

I doubt many of those things can happen however.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S/b I'd love... Now my technology thinks that means is live. I don't need technology to make look more ignorant. I've perfected it on my own.

jdombar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cingrani is likely to be the guy sent down, and I think for now it is the right move. While I like Cingrani and do believe he is better than Leake, Cingrani still needs to work on his other pitches besides his fast ball, it will be the difference between him being good which he is now and him being great which I think he will be soon. Leake is who he is, and he is a legitimate back of the rotating MLB pitcher and will be for a long time. However, Leake has less to gain by pitching at AAA than Cingrani does. Cingrani will be back up this year, but I think he can still get better while pitching in Louisville.

All that being said you never know what Dusty will actually do. Cueto is scheduled to pitch on Leake's day. He may have made those comments to put some pressure on Cingrani and see how he racts to it. We will learn alot about Cingrani's makeup in his next start with that pressure pitching in a loud and hostile environment in Philadelphia. If Cingrani pitches well, it may force Dusty's hand to keep him, but if he falters a little if gives Dusty the excuse to say, that Tony needs a little more grooming before he is ready.