• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So who gets sent down when Cueto returns

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone heard when Cueto will be back ? I would think they might even give him a rehab appearance in the minors before bringing him up.

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also didn't sign a HEALTHY closer to a 3 year deal last year. Although they DID sign an unhealthy one in Madson... OBVIOUSLY with the intent to put Chapman in the rotation.I just meant this is the 2nd year where Dusty didn't follow Walt's desire to start Chapman.

So Walt gave Leake an extension in early February because he wanted Chapman to start?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone heard when Cueto will be back ? I would think they might even give him a rehab appearance in the minors before bringing him up.

With the Reds medical staff, I normally take what was initially thought, then add at least a month.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Beggs...they signed Jon Broxton to a closer money contract. Mike Leake can't go anywhere, and has minor league options left, and as everyone else is healthy, and as long as Arroyo is here, making $11 mil and pitching at least as well as Leake, Leake IS the odd man out if another starter enters the rotation. Not many WS winners without at least one lefty starters, and IMO Mike Leake isn't going to make up for that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake isn't horrible, and probably doesn't deserve to be sent down. Hes just not one of the best 5 starters given all options... he can be a good long reliever... and if you believe a lefty starter is handy, he should be the long man, not a SP. Maybe they're waiting on Arroyo to leave. I just can't figure out why they keep signing closers and starting Chapman in spring training if the IDEA isn't for him to start, you know ?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think signing Leake to a one year deal and avoiding arbitration had anything to do with the Reds' plans for Chapman. If they'd signed Leake to multiple years, it may have, but they took the same route with Leake as most teams do in arbitration cases.

IMO, Leake was in the team's future plans whether Chapman was a starter or closer. Chapman starting would have changed Leake's role for 2013, but he would of had a role.

In 2012 the decision to put Chapman in the pen made sense based on injuries and the needs of the team. The 2013 decision makes less sense based on the signings in the off-season, but with the struggles and undiagnosed injuries in the pen this season, it now makes the move look more like a necessity.

The Reds aren't very forth coming with news and updates, or keeping us in the loop. So when they outrighted Arredondo, Ondrusek didn't make the team, and Marshall had a mysterious injury, it shows we don't always know the facts that govern their decision making.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds aren't very forth coming with news and updates, or keeping us in the loop. So when they outrighted Arredondo, Ondrusek didn't make the team, and Marshall had a mysterious injury, it shows we don't always know the facts that govern their decision making.

They have been doing this ever since the odd Votto health issues in 2009. What inspired them to send Arredondo to the minors is strange. I'd think he'd be worth more in a trade for somebody who is starved for experienced relief pitching. The Ondrusek move made more sense after I heard they were trying to get him to improve something in his delivery or pitch development. That made sense for him to go to Pensacola for that, less stressful.

I thought the Marshall injury was a bizarre turn of events. Gotta wonder if he came to camp in that condition and, if so, why.

Basically, I think the logic to calling Chapman a closer made more sense than trying to pretend Leake is a middle reliever. Reds didn't NEED middle relievers and the question was: Is Chapman better as a closer than Leake is as the 5th rotation guy?

As much as I wanted to see AC in the rotation, I'm OK with this decision for THIS year ... and may regret it in years ahead. The problem with a closer is that his appearances are conditional to the first 8 innings of the ball game.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half the intended closers aren't closers by the end every year, and lots of those teams play farther in post season than our Reds have. Only 5 if the last 50 World Champs had no lefty starter. THOSE are the reasons I wanted to see Chapman as a starter... I can only assume Walt is aware of these facts, and they may be why he has tried to accomplish same.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the reason they sent Ondrusek to AA was to reunite him with pitching coach Tom Brown who they feel was responsible for getting him on a path to the Majors. So that made sense at a later date to me.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Hopefully a good decision for Ondrusek. Funny, I'm always saying you can't teach a 95 mph fastball, but that wasn't the case with Ondrusek... He was only a low 90 thrower until this guy worked with him earlier in his career.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that the Reds will need a closer much this year. With all the injuries and the way their playing right now. Might as well make Chapman a starter now and see what he can do. Then he can go into the rotation next year without an hitch.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty doesn't know how to make him a starter in the spring and still have him in the rotation in post season, without everyone calling him a serial arm killer. Besides, if he does the exact same things he did winning 97 games and getting a contract extension, they can't blame him if the same thing doesnt happen. If he changes something and they lose, it's his arse. Better to set others up for less than all they can be and keep your own job. Just my opinion.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether the Reds *need* a closer could depend in part on whether the team itself believes a closer is important. The ongoing strategy of using a closer is pretty much ingrained in MLB now and going through the season without one could be tricky. I personally don't think a closer is all that valuable half the time. Nobody asked me.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madson and Broxton are closers. If Walt wanted Chapman to close, think he would have spent $34 million on these guys ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect Cingrani to go undefeated and once around the league will tell some tales. For now, I think the starting pitching is not one of the Reds' problems. I am still a bit concerned about the outfield defense, more than anything, as well as the general offensive philosophy.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta score to win. That's for sure.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to share the concern over the OF defense John. Calling up a AA 1B to fill Heisey's spot doesn't ease the concern.

The Reds obviously didn't want to go outside the current 40 man roster to fill the spot and defense doesn't seem to have entered into the equation. If they were thinking outside of the box, they might have called up 1B/ 3B Neftali Soto whom is hitting .313 in AAA Louisville. Frazier could get some reps in LF and Soto at 3B versus LHP. Soto's defense has improved some, but that's not saying much based his on first couple years. This team could use a little added punch from the right-handed side of the batter box.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Lutz was an unusual call too...2/3 of pitching is right handed, so if they plan on splitting PT in LF, the only righty possible is Robinson (SH) now. Frazier CAN play LF but would mean lefty hitting Hannahan plays 3b...and I think they want Frazier playing full time at 3b to lend some consistency to his efforts at improving his D. So far it appears to be working. Robinson is a terrific defensive player, but it's offense that is lagging right now.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto is supposed to pitch a game in triple A on Friday if everything goes as plan, I'd say he will get another start in triple A and then be ready to come back.