• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So is Frank Beamer on the hotseat?

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to guess, in 2015 and 2016, Virginia Tech will be in shape to make a run. Our new OL coach got five guys at the top of his list this class and is alread hitting 2015 hard. Loeffler has two quarterbacks. Moorehead has 4 wideouts this class and a good shot at turning some very good one from Louisville. We have two (possibly three) RBs coming in who are four stars. The defensive recruiting is same as usual. The refocusing and restocking the cupboards (tons of attrition this past offseason and a inch expected this coming one) should pay off. We will see but I see the team trending in the right direction.

Mind waiting till 2016?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mediocre?

Lol. I was thinkin the same.

I honestly had vt not even getting bowl eligible this season. Shoulda known better with beamer. Wonder what he could have done coaching in recruiting hotbed. The guy could take a group of 2 stars and develop them into a 10 win team. Crazy.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too generous?

We are striving to be mediocre at this point. If we can get to mediocre by season's end, I would consider it as big a win as when the Egyptian Manluks (who are we kidding, they were just Kipchak Turks under a different name) beat back Kitbuqua and the Mongols in the battle of An Jalut. Am I right!

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I was thinkin the same.

I honestly had vt not even getting bowl eligible this season. Shoulda known better with beamer. Wonder what he could have done coaching in recruiting hotbed. The guy could take a group of 2 stars and develop them into a 10 win team. Crazy.

With their schedule there is no possible reason they ever should've had a problem getting to a bowl. They only faced 1 team OOC that is good, and they won handily. In conference, they avoid both Florida State and Clemson. They have Miami on the schedule and nothing but dogshit after that. Realistically, VT should've eased their way to a 10-2 record this year. They still could but I don't know if they'll beat Miami (who, admittedly, doesn't look that great right now either). If they lose to Miami, they will end the year with East Carolina being their best win.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they lost to JMU..

THIS ^^^^^ Losing to FCS James Madison at home is a fireable offense and VA Tech didn't let Beamer go. Losing to Duke should be a fireable offense, but I doubt anything happens to Beamer. Without Beamer, VT would be sharing the basement with Duke every year. He's earned the right to retire whenever he wants.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS ^^^^^ Losing to FCS James Madison at home is a fireable offense and VA Tech didn't let Beamer go. Losing to Duke should be a fireable offense, but I doubt anything happens to Beamer. Without Beamer, VT would be sharing the basement with Duke every year. He's earned the right to retire whenever he wants.

they finished that year with 10 wins IIRC.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I've made fun of Tech because of the Duke loss, but I have a lot of respect for Coach Beamer and I think his job is safe.

People went all ballistic on Spurrier a couple of years back when Vanderbilt beat Carolina..."Vanderbilt! You guys suck! bwa hah!" etc. When Carolina fans tried to prop up Vandy as "improving" and the like, they were shouted down with cries of "fraudulent, they haven't beaten anyone, blah blah." Very similar situation.

Yeah, it's still Duke. But even great coaches get beat now and then by teams that aren't as good as their own. Tech still has a chance at the ACCCG and ten wins. Why would you fire that coach?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they finished that year with 10 wins IIRC.

True, but the ACC was god awful that year. Once VT got into conference play, they ran the table. Outside of the conference, they lost 3 times, one in embarrassing fashion to Stanford in the Orange Bowl. Regardless, Beamer has earned the right to leave on his own terms.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...after a loss to a team who is now 6-2?

Um, no.

We have also has arguably the best two recruiting classes in Virginia Tech history in last year and this coming year.

^^^ Don't know if he's working in that capacity for y'all, but I would gladly take Shane Beamer back as USC recruiting director, lol. Guy busted his ass, and was better than the coaches son we have now. So-so ST coach while here, though.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wont be fired, he will leave on his own terms. VT is overrated as a program(not saying they are bad, but not what a lot of people think) and may go into a an epic funk once he is gone if they botch the new hire and people there know it, that's why you don't hear more grumblings than you do.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are acting like this loss to Duke is crazy bad. But this isn't your older brother's Duke team, they are better than half the FBS teams.

Beamer isn't on the hot seat IMO. He is a decent QB away from leading the division for sure. Plus, outside of last year, who else except GT and VT had won the Coastal?

VT is the one top runner school that I CANNOT bring myself to hate, no matter the recent rivalry GT has with them. Beamer has my complete respect, and that's probably along with 95% of the rest of the CFB fans in the country. It says something that there exists a term "Beamer Ball".

Now have they fallen off? Sure. Have they been able to take advantage of a down ACC? Yes, I think that argument can be made, and I agree with it. But VT was kicking ass in the BE before coming to the ACC to do the same. But can they come back? Absolutely, because they are 1 QB away from owning the Coastal (seriously guys,you couldn't fine anybody better than Logan Thomas?). I feel your pain (Reggie Ball).

I guarantee you this, if Beamer ever left, I would lead the charge in recruiting him to GT, and that's just one team out of 100 that would be all over his ass trying to get him to come to their school.

And then every school has to ask themselves this question - "Who is out there that you can get that is BETTER than who you had?"

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee you this, if Beamer ever left, I would lead the charge in recruiting him to GT, and that's just one team out of 100 that would be all over his ass trying to get him to come to their school.

I would say its a safe bet that whenever Beamer does leave, he isn't going anywhere else. He's not going to have a Urban Meyer/Brett Favre style retirement.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer's not going anywhere. Lousy idea for a thread. Richt will get fired before Beamer does.