• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So is Frank Beamer on the hotseat?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be a LOT of openings at big time programs this year......

Texas
USC
Nebraska
VT

What say you, VT fans? Has he lost his touch? Are the coordinators a problem? What exactly has happened to the VT program?

I don't really think Frank has forgotten how to coach. But watching what's happened to Texas, I know coaches can get too set in their ways and the game pass them by.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be a LOT of openings at big time programs this year......

Texas
USC
Nebraska
VT

What say you, VT fans? Has he lost his touch? Are the coordinators a problem? What exactly has happened to the VT program?

I don't really think Frank has forgotten how to coach. But watching what's happened to Texas, I know coaches can get too set in their ways and the game pass them by.

On the hot seat? i don't think so. (yes i know, i'm not a VT fan) Maybe a couple more disappointing seasons and he will be gone. I wouldn't say Beamer is in the hot seat till maybe after next season if they have some disappointing loses and season.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VTech has never really been a power program to begin with. They sorta benefited from the fall of programs like Miami and FSU. Now that those teams are coming back ... it's going to be rough for them to compete consistently in conference.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wont be forced out. Therefore; his seat is not hot, but you are right......I think VT has topped out with Beamer. But, hes done so much for that program that they wont get rid of him. He will leave on his own terms and VT is patiently wait for that day.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
School needs to put together a great package he can't say no too and move forward. Go after a Chad Morris type guy.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Queue the Saban heading to Texas posts.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance. He's retiring in the not too distance future anyway

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terri Saban has been spotted house shopping in Blacksburg.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

I agree with some here, I think he's reached his upper limit as a coach at VT. I'm just curious if there are any grumblings in Blacksberg, I don't see him getting fired, but lets face it......this team is getting worse, not better. QBs have been a problem for a couple of seasons now. I also don't know where they go from here.

I guess this will be a very interesting off season.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there are or will be any grumblings in Blacksburg...Unless VT starts having losing season, I think Beamer has afforded himself whatever time he wants.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seats are going quick, get'em while they're hot

But no I wouldn't think so

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there are or will be any grumblings in Blacksburg...Unless VT starts having losing season, I think Beamer has afforded himself whatever time he wants.

yeah.......but losing to Duke has to be as close to a fireable offense as there is. I'd have that in the contract if I was the AD - you lose to Duke, we are lighting a bonfire under your seat........

He's had some real ugly losses the last few years. They always pull out the season, but they never achieve much of anything. It's like they're mired in mediocrity. That can only continue so long.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah.......but losing to Duke has to be as close to a fireable offense as there is. I'd have that in the contract if I was the AD - you lose to Duke, we are lighting a bonfire under your seat........

He's had some real ugly losses the last few years. They always pull out the season, but they never achieve much of anything. It's like they're mired in mediocrity. That can only continue so long.

they lost to JMU..

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VTech has never really been a power program to begin with. They sorta benefited from the fall of programs like Miami and FSU. Now that those teams are coming back ... it's going to be rough for them to compete consistently in conference.
In the BCS era, VaTech is the 4th most winning program (excluding BSU for obvious reasons). That would be right behind you guys. You guys seem to have benefited from the fall of programs like Michigan and Penn State. The one thing you have going for you is that the ACC teams seem to be getting better, while the B1G teams appear to be going in the opposite direction. You got that going for you.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely going to be a 9 or 10 win season.

What's so bad about that?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely going to be a 9 or 10 win season.

What's so bad about that?

I guess the question is whether or not you think Beamer has hit his upper potential.

He also has a string of pretty bad losses to some low quality teams. That's a bad combination. I personally don't see it getting better anytime soon without some staff shakeup or something.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the question is whether or not you think Beamer has hit his upper potential.

He also has a string of pretty bad losses to some low quality teams. That's a bad combination. I personally don't see it getting better anytime soon without some staff shakeup or something.

I think Beamer is VT and VT would be absolutely dumb to get rid of him. Who are they going to get to come in there and improve on 9 and 10 win seasons?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ star being ruhtarded again.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some grumbling from a small group of fans, typically younger who are spoiled with the success of the program and want the excitement that offenses like Oregon or Texas A&M have. Then there are older fans who remember what the program was like before Beamer and know he had earned the right to leave on his terms. I do think he's smart enough to know when to go. We've had a lot of success playing 'old school' football, but with the high offensive output you see around the country makes many fans wonder why we can't have similar success here. Having an elite defense with a mediocre at best offense year in and year out its extremely frustrating. Beamer shook up the offensive staff this past off-season but he had stuck with his friends in positions they weren't good at for far too long and that had taken its toll. It will be a couple more years to see what these offensive changes can do once they can recruit their guys.

But let's face it, we're never going to have the top recruiting class and have to find diamonds in the rough which I think we do a good job at. But to compete nationally, you need depth that is filed with talent as well. We have to rely on all the pieces falling in the right spots just to give us a shot.

Beamer had earned the right to finish out his current contract and hopefully put an exclamation point on a great career. Those calling for him to be fired better be prepared for the possibility of VT completely falling off the radar. Not all new hires mean greater or even the same success as the predecessor. I'd love to compete for a NC every year but realistically that isn't in the cards. I hope that changes but I'm not willing to say it's not happening because of the man who is the face of the program, university and is probably the most recognizable person in the entire state of Virginia.