• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Yzerman acquire a Defenseman?

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Yzerman will acquire a defenseman by March 2nd trade deadline, but do you think should? The reason I ask is because i'm unsure. I know we are thin back there but the young guys don't look out of place, like Witkowski and surprisingly to me is a good skater and moves the puck well, same with Nesterov who I does an excellent job at stepping up and not giving the opposition time with the puck. Nesterov has played 11 and Witkowski has played 7 and played very well. I also think Sustr and Barbs have played well too.

Given the fact Carle should be back soon too I hope Yzerman doesn't give up any high picks or prospects for a rental like Franson or Petry. If Yzerman does get a D man I would like Michalek, despite him being a rental he would come cheap and he's a vet in comparison to the other defenseman on the market. I have a feeling Yzerman is working hard for Franson given his past interest in him and it wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to land Winnik as well from the Leafs as we need gritty winger to play in our bottom 6.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling steve yzerman is going to add a defenseman for sure before the deadline and he should. Ya carle will come back but will he be 100 percent healthy ? i doubt it! I think cody franson is his A option and jeff petry is his B option and Michalek is his C option. You can't go into the stanley cup playoffs with all those rookie defenseman yet maybe next year ? but not now! We are set up in goal better then vs montreal last year with Bishop and vasy. Forwards we are pretty set there maybe could use a grinder like you said! but we have to do better in the playoffs this year I think anything short of getting to round two is showing no progress. adding a cody franson i see no reason why the lightning can't compete for the stanley cup this year.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling steve yzerman is going to add a defenseman for sure before the deadline and he should. Ya carle will come back but will he be 100 percent healthy ? i doubt it! I think cody franson is his A option and jeff petry is his B option and Michalek is his C option. You can't go into the stanley cup playoffs with all those rookie defenseman yet maybe next year ? but not now! We are set up in goal better then vs montreal last year with Bishop and vasy. Forwards we are pretty set there maybe could use a grinder like you said! but we have to do better in the playoffs this year I think anything short of getting to round two is showing no progress. adding a cody franson i see no reason why the lightning can't compete for the stanley cup this year.

I agree with the fact he would b difficult to ride these young D men in the playoffs but again with Carle coming back I think it gives you a solid top 4 with Hedman, Stralman, Carle and Garrison. There is also the possibility Gudas might be back in time for the playoffs. I just hope Yzerman doesn't get fleeced for a rental, as much as I would like to win this year, this is not a do or die season for the bolts, they are going to be competitive for years to come.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Danny I wouldn't give up too much just hoping for a cup. We have a team that will be contenders with many chances for the Cup, we can wait.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, don't kid yourselves like this. We all know ole Y is looking for another forward. That's what this Lightning team really needs! :pound: :lol: :whistle:
You should know by now he doesn't want defense!

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Following this on, i'm still content with the defense with have. I would still like Yzerman to pick someone up (i'm leaning towards Michalek now), but if push comes to shove and the prices are too high for these rental defenseman I would be content with Yzerman standing pat. I thought it was hurt us taking our inexperienced D core out West but so far so good, they have played well. Sustr and Barbs are playing well, I like Witkowski's simple game and a like Nesterov's gap control, doesn't give the puck carrier space.

As mentioned above I would like Yzerman to make a pickup and I now prefer Michalek over Petry. I just think Michalek would be a better fit. First off he would not be as expensive Petry to acquire. He's more experienced and has played in the playoffs before with the Yotes and Pens. I also think he's the type of D man we need, stay-at-home guy, plays a simple but effective game and can log 20 plus mins a night. I just think back to Feaster in 04 when he acquired Darryl Sydor, a stay-at-home, rugid, experienced, reliable defenseman, exactly what Michalek is.