• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Detroit re-sign Goff this offseason or wait till after next season?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying similar money for a QB that is just leaps and bounds better than Goff is just crazy talk and is just aiming a shotgun at yourself 1-2 years from now. Most all of that money to Goff is guaranteed.

Most likely, the last year of Goff's contract is the non-guaranteed part.

Cap goes up every year, so does the ceiling for QB contracts. Rinse, repeat.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady and Mahomes were smart enough to see that they can make more in endorsements than they can in base salaries, if they continued winning rings. And they did, and the endorsements piled up. I doubt Brady has any regrets about that at all, the regrets would have been if he got hurt and didn't win or something.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a net worth of $300M? I'm guessing he feels just fine and sleeps like a baby.
Yeah, he just got paid 25 for his ex to get roasted. Write a book, it will be a best seller. He has lot of money making opportunities in retirement.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a net worth of $300M? I'm guessing he feels just fine and sleeps like a baby.
Could of had a lot more. He wouldnt have had to take a job as an announcer.:dhd:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount is too high. 40 mil I could live with. He is now the second highest paid QB or something. Not likely at the level of Mahomes and company. He would have taken 40 a year too most likely. This contract he probably signed before the ink was dry.
It's way too high for a player of Goff's talent within the structure of the NFL salary cap. The contract structure is just out of whack. The next QB up (maybe Dak if he signs) will also pretty likely be overpaid if he is not elite just like Hurts, Murray, Watson, etc are all overpaid. Until teams stop giving in and just handing the "next man up" the highest or close to highest contract because it's "their turn", even if they aren't one of the best at the position, it isn't going to stop and this isn't just for QB. The problem is that as soon as an owner tries to take a stand someone else will just give the player what they want.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a good deal all around, IMO. If the Lions didn’t show him the money some other team would have … I think

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you dont want to wait why 53 mil? No way. Could have gotten him for 10 mil less.

And Kirk has not won Jack shit yet so how bad was it really? They have Daniels now and will be better for it than with Kirk. Not to mention ATL already drafted Kirks replacement.
I don’t think you could. 50+ million is the going rate now for QBs with a market. Goff is a QB that multiple teams would be interested in. This was the price. It is what it is. It’s silly to say the Lions could have gotten him for $40 million. He’s not signing that when if he couldn’t get $50+ from the Lions he would get it from someone else.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's way too high for a player of Goff's talent within the structure of the NFL salary cap. The contract structure is just out of whack. The next QB up (maybe Dak if he signs) will also pretty likely be overpaid if he is not elite just like Hurts, Murray, Watson, etc are all overpaid. Until teams stop giving in and just handing the "next man up" the highest or close to highest contract because it's "their turn", even if they aren't one of the best at the position, it isn't going to stop and this isn't just for QB. The problem is that as soon as an owner tries to take a stand someone else will just give the player what they want.
You don’t understand value at the QB position in the National Football League. Hurts Murray Watson are not overpaid. That’s the going rate for a team that wants to commit to a QB whether you like it or not. It’s put up the money or quit on him like Trey Lance Justin Fields or Kenny Pickett.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t understand value at the QB position in the National Football League. Hurts Murray Watson are not overpaid. That’s the going rate for a team that wants to commit to a QB whether you like it or not. It’s put up the money or quit on him like Trey Lance Justin Fields or Kenny Pickett.
That's a silly comment. I don't think you understand what I am saying. Obviously it is the going rate and that's the problem. The "next man up" doesn't necessarily deserves to make more just because it's his turn and in no way is it just based on each individual players value to his team or as a player. The problem is when you pay the same thing for "Hurts, Murray and Watson" that Mahomes is getting it isn't the same thing. If Mahomes is the market setter, those guys should all be well below him. Mahomes is the #9 highest paid QB based on AAV and tied with Kirk Cousins. So, just like It's one thing to say Miles Garrett is worth $25M within the structure of the cap. It's another to say Christian Wilkins is worth $27.5M. In no world is that not a problem.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a silly comment. I don't think you understand what I am saying. Obviously it is the going rate and that's the problem. The "next man up" doesn't necessarily deserves to make more just because it's his turn and in no way is it just based on each individual players value to his team or as a player. The problem is when you pay the same thing for "Hurts, Murray and Watson" that Mahomes is getting it isn't the same thing. If Mahomes is the market setter, those guys should all be well below him. Mahomes is the #9 highest paid QB based on AAV and tied with Kirk Cousins. So, just like It's one thing to say Miles Garrett is worth $25M within the structure of the cap. It's another to say Christian Wilkins is worth $27.5M. In no world is that not a problem.
If you know how to manage a cap it isn’t a problem. The market is the market.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Goff played over his head and will return to being Jared Goff, an extension seems pretty dangerous to me. I was really rooting for the Lions and fear they missed their chance, don't see them going back to the NFCC Game again.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. You didn't understand
I totally understand. I used to think like your post when I was 12. I wanted to be 6’4’’ or 6’5’’. My dad is short and my mom is short. I came to learn about genes and heredity. I realized I had no chance in hell of growing to that height.

Why lament a condition that exists and isn’t changing? I don’t know what you’re trying to say but what I’m trying to say is that you’re wasting your time entertaining “this is the way I think it should be” nonsense instead of assessing the situation as it is.

1. The going rate for starting QBs now is $50+ million per year. If you’re a QB and a team is committing to you, you aren’t signing for anything less than that.
2. So you commit to a QB or you trade him and you start looking for the QB you deem worthy of the commitment.

It’s just that simple. This is the market. What’s the sense in saying “this is the way I think it should be.” Who cares? It’s not. It’s not gonna be.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally understand. I used to think like your post when I was 12. I wanted to be 6’4’’ or 6’5’’. My dad is short and my mom is short. I came to learn about genes and heredity. I realized I had no chance in hell of growing to that height.

Why lament a condition that exists and isn’t changing? I don’t know what you’re trying to say but what I’m trying to say is that you’re wasting your time entertaining “this is the way I think it should be” nonsense instead of assessing the situation as it is.

1. The going rate for starting QBs now is $50+ million per year. If you’re a QB and a team is committing to you, you aren’t signing for anything less than that.
2. So you commit to a QB or you trade him and you start looking for the QB you deem worthy of the commitment.

It’s just that simple. This is the market. What’s the sense in saying “this is the way I think it should be.” Who cares? It’s not. It’s not gonna be.
this is getting weird donald trump GIF by Jeff Dunham

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want to revisit your comments about him not getting $50M per? There was never a question.
Sure, he is now guaranteed about $45 million a year. :noidea:

Last edited:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want to bet that a year from now or even less that he won't even be in the top 5 paid QB's? Heck, he isn't even in the top 5 guaranteed contracts now.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 10.02.25 AM.png

It's a 4 year, $179 million guarantee. That is $45 million a year. Now, it could become something larger, but I imagine that will only be because he is producing good results.

It's more than I thought he would get, but I don't think he is going to be a top 5 paid QB's this time next year. He may be closer to #10 than top 5.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, he is now guaranteed about $45 million a year. :noidea:
Just can't admit you were wrong. It's not a big deal, but it's a bad look to try and move the goal posts to guaranteed money in an attempt to keep fighting it instead of just admitting it...