• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Detroit re-sign Goff this offseason or wait till after next season?

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff is honestly under-appreciated IMO, he unfairly got written off as a mediocre QB when he was traded to Detroit, but he’s proven he’s a good franchise QB and can lead a team on a playoff run.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,256.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High Five GIF by Film Riot
Wild.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff is honestly under-appreciated IMO, he unfairly got written off as a mediocre QB when he was traded to Detroit, but he’s proven he’s a good franchise QB and can lead a team on a playoff run.
I think he’s proved he’s a mediocre franchise QB.

That’s not a bad thing. The guy he was traded for is a mediocre franchise QB, with an elite arm.

You can do better than Goff. But you can also do much worse.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he’s proved he’s a mediocre franchise QB.

That’s not a bad thing. The guy he was traded for is a mediocre franchise QB, with an elite arm.

You can do better than Goff. But you can also do much worse.
I think he’s more than a mediocre QB, he‘s put up very good numbers.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he’s more than a mediocre QB, he‘s put up very good numbers.
So have a lot of other QBs.

Goff doesn’t have the physical tools to be “elite”. He’s a middle third starter, with some elite talent around him.

I’m fine with the contract. Even if I never thought I’d live to see the day the Lions have the highest paid lineman and receiver and the second highest paid QB. And none of them were FA signings.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goff doesn’t have the physical tools to be “elite”. He’s a middle third starter, with some elite talent around him.

I’m fine with the contract. Even if I never thought I’d live to see the day the Lions have the highest paid lineman and receiver and the second highest paid QB. And none of them were FA signings.

….and very well might have the highest paid defensive player in the league at least for a short when Aiden reups and beats Micah’s contract 3 years down the road.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
….and very well might have the highest paid defensive player in the league at least for a short when Aiden reups and beats Micah’s contract 3 years down the road.
That’s possible.

I don’t worry too much about him. He grew up wealthy like fifteen minutes from where he works. He’ll get what he deserves but won’t be an issue to keep around.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodness who knew Goff was worth a fifth of a billion dollars.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the new contract is an extension then the full contract is 5 years at $239M. Presumably the 4th year won't guarantee before the 3rd year is half way through, unless the Lions want to risk making the Broncos/Wilson mistake. I'd also expect the last 2 seasons to be the highest paying seasons. The Devil is in the detail. We'll have to see what the 3rd and 4th year get-out positions are...but it sounds about right.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero intention to come off as a cap expert, but the details are 170M guaranteed.
The issue is a guarantee isn't necessarily guaranteed. If the 4th year doesn't guarantee until after the 3rd year then it's not a guarantee for 3 years. However, the guarantee will be included in the 'total guarantee' headline. Kyler Murray has a 2026 guarantee, (which is dumber than the Broncos/Wilson guarantee), but it doesn't become guaranteed until 2025.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you got to feel good for Goff.
The fans were chanting his name in a game & now he gets paid.
He can actually feel wanted. Thats a feel good story.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry. No way am I fine with this. If we just won a SB sure. We have had 1 good season. And Goff was nothing before Ben Johnson got here. What happens if Johnson leaves next year? I would have waited.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. No way am I fine with this. If we just won a SB sure. We have had 1 good season. And Goff was nothing before Ben Johnson got here. What happens if Johnson leaves next year? I would have waited.
I am curious what the alternatives are? Goff at his best is top 10, Lions have everything it takes to make him his best. Based on the teams current talent level I don't think we are not likely to see a pick at the top of the first round, and we just saw 6 QBs go in the top 12.

I am fine to lock in a known quantity that is just below elite over rolling the dice on something better falling through the cracks in a future draft.

Even if they got lucky, how often is a qb elite day 1? We would be wasting 3 years of our cores prime hoping the future qb pans out. This was the correct call, and I think Goff is good enough to lead a team to a championship.....pending oline.

Lions should be putting extra money/draft into the lines future every year now, no matter how stacked it appears to be.