• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shootouts to have a diminished role in deciding games?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like shootouts. I mean the 7 period playoff game is one for the ages, but I dont think we need it in the regular season. I also dont think 5 minutes is really enough. Maybe playing 4 on 4 for 10 minutes would decide more games.

the only difference is records. I dont get why an overtime win counts as a win, but an overtime loss only counts as a tie. The general thought process seems to be get that point, especially on the road. I mean maybe the second dash for overtime losses does count more, it just seems like teams are content with getting a point and losing overtime should sting a little more. Maybe that would force teams to go harder.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with shootouts. Ties are a waste of time & continuous OT can be a problem for weeknights. I don't think they should use them for the playoffs but they 're fine for the reg season. Maybe they could change it so it's. 4 on 4 for the 1st OT then 3 on 3 for the 2nd OT, & then have the shootout after that. Wouldn't change things too much tho.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the idea of extending OT, but I'd be ok with OT as 3 on 3 instead of 4 on 4 in order to lessen the number of shootouts, or at least testing it out.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
college football route, 3 on 2 from the blue line in. Puck is cleared, switch sides.

Just sayin, could be alot worse than shootouts lol.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of the article was to reduce the number of shootouts, not necessarily eliminate them.

Personally, I don't want to see tie games return. But I also don't like the idea of a team getting extra bonus points for what turns out to be a skills competition.

What I liked about the article and felt was intriguing was that they would consider keeping the 4 on 4 OT, followed by a 3 on 3 OT, then a shootout.

And my thinking, as some of the comments below the article stated, was maybe giving 3 points for a natural win/zero for a natural loss, 2 points for an OT or shootout win/1point for an OT or shootout loss.

I would take it one step further. Three points for a natural or OT win/zero points to the loser. Two points to a shootout winner and one point to the loser. Would make the games more competitive when you have an all or nothing approach to the game. Right now teams seem to be content to getting at least a point. Winning in OT or a shootout just seems like a bonus.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of the article was to reduce the number of shootouts, not necessarily eliminate them.

Personally, I don't want to see tie games return. But I also don't like the idea of a team getting extra bonus points for what turns out to be a skills competition.

What I liked about the article and felt was intriguing was that they would consider keeping the 4 on 4 OT, followed by a 3 on 3 OT, then a shootout.

And my thinking, as some of the comments below the article stated, was maybe giving 3 points for a natural win/zero for a natural loss, 2 points for an OT or shootout win/1point for an OT or shootout loss.

I would take it one step further. Three points for a natural or OT win/zero points to the loser. Two points to a shootout winner and one point to the loser. Would make the games more competitive when you have an all or nothing approach to the game. Right now teams seem to be content to getting at least a point. Winning in OT or a shootout just seems like a bonus.

I agree with the article. Can't bring ties back ties, can't have continuous OT's like the playoffs, and can't have so many shootouts. Seems like a good solution.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I do think this is a cool idea, I just wonder how this will effect the health of some players? Top guys are playing 20-30 minutes a game in regulation. Add a more open style where players are sprinting up and down the ice, and I just wonder if guys will be cramping up, pulling hamstrings, or crashing into the pipes/boards ala Steve Stamkos.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do think this is a cool idea, I just wonder how this will effect the health of some players? Top guys are playing 20-30 minutes a game in regulation. Add a more open style where players are sprinting up and down the ice, and I just wonder if guys will be cramping up, pulling hamstrings, or crashing into the pipes/boards ala Steve Stamkos.

Maybe it would force the coaches that are riding the thoroughbreds hard and putting them away wet to actually consider it and use his bench more. In all honesty, you leave them on the ice half the game and didnt win, maybe using your other players would decide the game differently and sometimes it would be in your favor.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shootout doesn't bother me.

It's just a simple solution to having multiple OT periods. Maybe just extend the OT to 10 minutes then. 3 on 3 seems kind of dumb to me.