• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shaun Phillips

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos get Phillips from the Chargers. Solid pass rusher the last 10 years or so. Got a bit of wear, but probably just coming in as a stop gap for Quanterus Smith who's coming of an ACL tear.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Denver Broncos are suddenly set with complementary pass-rushers for star Von Miller.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Broncos have signed San Diego linebacker Shaun Phillips. He signed a one-year contract.

The Chargers had lukewarm interest in bring back Phillips.

Phillips had 9.5 sacks for San Diego last year. He will be a situational pass-rusher. Yes, Denver needed a defensive end after Elvis Dumervil left. But what they really wanted was another pass-rusher. Phillips fills that role. This is a passing-down addition.

I think Phillips can help because he still has something left in the tank and he seems to raise his level of play when he is surrounded by talent. Denver had the No. 2 defense in the league. I think Phillips will be a nice candidate for Miller.

It will be somewhat strange seeing Phillips in a Denver uniform. He was often in middle of skirmishes between the two teams and Denver players often said Phillips was one of the mouthiest players in the league. Now, Phillips will be talking and harassing the passer in a Denver uniform.

Denver had shown interest in Dwight Freeney and John Abraham. While anything is possible I’d be surprised if either was brought in at this point.

From Bill Williamson on ESPN's AFC West blog. Good pickup. Go Broncos!

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Freeney was way overplaying his hand trying to get more money out of the Broncos. I like the signing as he or Freeney would have only been a situational pass rusher.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Freeney was way overplaying his hand trying to get more money out of the Broncos. I like the signing as he or Freeney would have only been a situational pass rusher.

Right. From what I heard, Freeney was asking for more than what we were willing to pay Doom. That's just ridiculous. No reason to pay a guy that's nearing the end of his career anywhere near that.

C U Buff Fan1

Total Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty happy with this signing. Way more than I would have been about a Freeney signing.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this about Freeney (from rotoworld):

According to the Denver Post, free agent Dwight Freeney is now seeking Osi Umenyiora money.

Freeney opened free agency asking for $8 million a year, then lowered his annual asking price to $6 million. His price tag has dropped yet again, as Umenyiora accepted a two-year, $8.5 million deal from Atlanta. Once the heavy favorites to land Freeney, the Broncos appear to be out of the mix after signing Shaun Phillips. They're going to start Derek Wolfe and Robert Ayers on the ends.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this front 4 on pass rushing downs?

Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Sylvester Williams and Shaun Phillips...looks pretty good on paper!

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to see our pass-rush packages in action! That's a serious four-man pass rush, miked. What about when we send 5 or 6 guys on blitzes, with Von able to use his speed to stunt from the outside to find a gap right up the middle? JDR must be salivating at all of the havoc we can now create with not just the increase in talent, but the increase in pass-rush options.

We may have the most dynamic team in football on both sides of the ball.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, the Denver Broncos are going to have some size and strength on our D-line. Can't forget our new bulk lineman, Knighton either. Our front should make Champ and Co's job a little easier as well. It's gonna be a great year for the Broncos. 2012 was just a warm-up...

Go Broncos!

MH64

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty happy with this signing. Way more than I would have been about a Freeney signing.

Completely agree. I've never much like Phillips, but at this point I think he's a better player than Freeney.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was past his prime when he arrived but I do miss his bowling sack celebration.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillips ended up having a dang good season for us. Double digit sacks and added a pick. Couldn't have asked for much more than that.

Go Broncos!