• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

See Ya Vic

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch, Lock, and Osweiler all had the same types of issues coming out, too. They all flashed potential in college but didnt come close to being finished products. I think they were all 2nd-3rd round type of prospects so I dont have a huge issue with them being drafted but how they went about it was all wrong. Generally if you're drafting a QB after rd1 you should just generally assume that they aren't the 'guy'.

The bigger issue was them taking Bradley Chubb and PS2. They were taking the safe pick to win some games when better QB prospects were right in front of them. I remember everyone praising the Chubb pick and I was just ecstatic that they didnt pick a QB
Who should they have picked at QB in 2018? Hardly anyone was praising Allen and Jackson was selected 32nd. Four years later, there really isn’t anyone in that class, besides maybe Jackson, that has done much. I think Josh Allen would be a good fit with this current Denver Roster.

In 2021, nobody was going to have a shot at Lawrence other than J’ville and Mack Jones has been a surprise. Not sure who you thought would be great at QB from that class either.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Jones has been a surprise. Not sure who you thought would be great at QB from that class either.
I've agreed with you up to this statement. I and from what I recall, many thought Jones had real possibilities in the NFL. I thought his head/decisions with the football were solid and him being a "Student of the Game" and all was worth a 1st round selection for a team NEEDING a QB. I was shocked with the selection of corner with Jones on the board. I guess I'm glad things worked out as they did for my team, but Jones was the pick IMO

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've agreed with you up to this statement. I and from what I recall, many thought Jones had real possibilities in the NFL. I thought his head/decisions with the football were solid and him being a "Student of the Game" and all was worth a 1st round selection for a team NEEDING a QB. I was shocked with the selection of corner with Jones on the board. I guess I'm glad things worked out as they did for my team, but Jones was the pick IMO
You could be right, but I mostly remember the usual talk about how the Bama machine makes QBs look good. 5* Online, 5* receivers and 5* RBs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never loved Mac Jones as a prospect but he was about as safe a prospect as Ive ever seen and he seemed like a slam dunk for any team needing a QB in 2021. Outside of potential character issues. I think I compared him to Trent Green. Good QB. Not a liability but also not a superstar. It wasn't surprising at all to see the Patriots pick him and he might be better than I thought.

I do remember even posting on the Broncos board that the one player I didnt want them to get was Justin Fields, though. Fields was not the super safe QB prospect but he was a rockstar in college well above Haskins coming out of Ohio State. Granted Fields went to Chicago where QBs go to die but he is a mobile athlete that could walk in as good as Lock as a thrower while being 10x the runner.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you keep trying to make this about Dak and all I said was he's the best QB in the division. I don't know how that could be disputed.

Two words I don't throw around carelessly when discussing sports.
1. Elite
2. Great

Of course he is.

But all the other QBs in the division are awful.

Not saying a whole lot.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch, Lock, and Osweiler all had the same types of issues coming out, too. They all flashed potential in college but didnt come close to being finished products. I think they were all 2nd-3rd round type of prospects so I dont have a huge issue with them being drafted but how they went about it was all wrong. Generally if you're drafting a QB after rd1 you should just generally assume that they aren't the 'guy'.

The bigger issue was them taking Bradley Chubb and PS2. They were taking the safe pick to win some games when better QB prospects were right in front of them. I remember everyone praising the Chubb pick and I was just ecstatic that they didnt pick a QB
Eh there were a lot of variables that led to drafting those QB's. Osweiler was a second round pick who was drafted to develop and take over after Manning retired. They didn't need him to be a finished product because he wasn't going to see the field for a few years.

Elway gets a lot of shit for the Lynch pick, too, and while it's definitely fair to criticize him it's important to view the situation as it was and not with hindsight. The Broncos had just won the Super Bowl and were picking dead last, their qb had retired and their back up plan and taken a big contract with the Texans. Lynch was the consensus third best qb in the draft, and the Broncos had no shot to get the best or second best. The ironic thing about it is Elway actually out maneuvered Jerry Jones to trade up and get Lynch, so the Cowboys had to settle for Dak. Now the rumors were Dak was also the Broncos back up plan if they couldn't get Lynch, so there's an alternate universe out there where the Cowboys trade up to draft Lynch and the Broncos end up with Dak. Regardless, the Broncos knew Lynch was a project but they absolutely had to get a qb, so they took the shot. Unfortunately Lynch had the work ethic of a 12 year old boy so he never put in the work to get better.

The Broncos have also taken a lot of heat for drafting Chubb in the 2018 draft instead of a qb. The options were Rosen, who obviously would have been a terrible choice, and Allen and Jackson, both of whom were considered projects. With their coaching staffs I have no doubt the Broncos would not have been able to develop Allen or Jackson, and neither would be nearly as good as they are now.

That brings us to Lock. The Broncos took him in the second, again knowing he was a project but they had a veteran for him to learn under. This actually should be the biggest QB criticism Elway faces, because he hitched his wagon to Joe Flacco. What a nightmare. Anyway, Lock gets hurt in preseason, plays the final 5 games of the season and flashes, but also clearly needs work. So naturally Fangio fires his offensive coordinator to bring in Pat Shurmur (this is Fangio's biggest mistake IMO), COVID wrecks the offseason and preseason giving Lock no a chance to learn the offense or get reps, the season is a disaster and Lock plays terribly, oh also Shurmur sucks. The Broncos bring in a cheap veteran to push Lock, Lock actually shows some improvement in the preseason but Fangio knows he's coaching for his job so he goes with the safe pick and Lock is stuck on the bench when he should have been playing. Oh and Shurmur still sucks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh there were a lot of variables that led to drafting those QB's. Osweiler was a second round pick who was drafted to develop and take over after Manning retired. They didn't need him to be a finished product because he wasn't going to see the field for a few years.

Elway gets a lot of shit for the Lynch pick, too, and while it's definitely fair to criticize him it's important to view the situation as it was and not with hindsight. The Broncos had just won the Super Bowl and were picking dead last, their qb had retired and their back up plan and taken a big contract with the Texans. Lynch was the consensus third best qb in the draft, and the Broncos had no shot to get the best or second best. The ironic thing about it is Elway actually out maneuvered Jerry Jones to trade up and get Lynch, so the Cowboys had to settle for Dak. Now the rumors were Dak was also the Broncos back up plan if they couldn't get Lynch, so there's an alternate universe out there where the Cowboys trade up to draft Lynch and the Broncos end up with Dak. Regardless, the Broncos knew Lynch was a project but they absolutely had to get a qb, so they took the shot. Unfortunately Lynch had the work ethic of a 12 year old boy so he never put in the work to get better.

The Broncos have also taken a lot of heat for drafting Chubb in the 2018 draft instead of a qb. The options were Rosen, who obviously would have been a terrible choice, and Allen and Jackson, both of whom were considered projects. With their coaching staffs I have no doubt the Broncos would not have been able to develop Allen or Jackson, and neither would be nearly as good as they are now.

That brings us to Lock. The Broncos took him in the second, again knowing he was a project but they had a veteran for him to learn under. This actually should be the biggest QB criticism Elway faces, because he hitched his wagon to Joe Flacco. What a nightmare. Anyway, Lock gets hurt in preseason, plays the final 5 games of the season and flashes, but also clearly needs work. So naturally Fangio fires his offensive coordinator to bring in Pat Shurmur (this is Fangio's biggest mistake IMO), COVID wrecks the offseason and preseason giving Lock no a chance to learn the offense or get reps, the season is a disaster and Lock plays terribly, oh also Shurmur sucks. The Broncos bring in a cheap veteran to push Lock, Lock actually shows some improvement in the preseason but Fangio knows he's coaching for his job so he goes with the safe pick and Lock is stuck on the bench when he should have been playing. Oh and Shurmur still sucks.
I think you hit it on the head with Shurmur. When he was on the Rams he supposedly 'turned the team around' and then got promoted to a head coach elsewhere and Rams fans rejoiced. I believe Browns fans were happy to see him go, too.