• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Boras trying to engage Mets on Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never know, market doesn't seem big for Drew. Redsox have Boegarts and Cecchini in the prospect pool which makes them only want to go two years max on Drew. If we could give him 3/30, we may sway him away from the Sox.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Drew rumors: Drew wants a three-year deal, Mets only want one or two

Free agent SS Stephen Drew is currently seeking a three-year deal this winter, according to multiple reports this winter.
The Mets remain interested in Drew, and while the Mets and Scott Boras have discussed parameters of a contract for him, they’re only interested in signing Drew to a one or a two-year deal (Kernan, Dec. 23, Cafardo, Dec. 22),
Boras is attempting to engage the Mets to sign both Drew and Kendrys Morales(Crasnick, Dec. 22), but the Mets are not focused on upgrading at first base (Baron, Dec. 22).
Boras now wants to get Drew signed (Abraham, Dec. 21), but they’re waiting for clarity in the Yankees situation (Gammons, Dec. 21).

We eventually caved in with the fourth-year for Granderson, hopefully with do with Drew as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I gotta disagree with ya on this one. Signing Drew for 4 years would be insane, IMO. Boras is playing his decent half-season for all it's worth. One year deal? Ok. Two years? Maybe, if the price is right. And with a lot of games-played clauses.

:agree:

We have a BINGO!

Just because Drew is now at the top of the SS class at the moment, it does not mean one should overpay for his services, especially in the years dept.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, just picking up on the Morales portion of this thread, I again agree with Chef. Morales is a fine hitter. But, that is about it. As such, his future lies with an A.L team, and as a D.H. He shouold use his glove as much as Big Papi does, maybe 5-10 times a year, MAYBE.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't particularly care for either of them. They'll be more competitive this year for sure but 2015 is really the target year, both these players will be a year further out of their prime and I doubt either of them come cheap. I'd prefer to roll the dice with what we have and spend that money either next year or look for a trade. Teams get desperate around the trade deadline and we could probably oversell some of our assets. Just look at the Wheeler for Beltran and his expiring contract deal, or giving up Byrd and Buck (2 older players with expiring contracts) last year for Vic Black and Dilson Herrera.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I gotta disagree with ya on this one. Signing Drew for 4 years would be insane, IMO. Boras is playing his decent half-season for all it's worth. One year deal? Ok. Two years? Maybe, if the price is right. And with a lot of games-played clauses.

:agree:

We have a BINGO!

Just because Drew is now at the top of the SS class at the moment, it does not mean one should overpay for his services, especially in the years dept.

Much better option than what we have now, Tejada is god awful.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tejada will have a nice turnaround year.....that's what I'm hoping for anyway....unless of course someone better becomes available for the right price and not for too many yrs, so Sandy isn't handcuffed from making other moves.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Drew Rumors: Is there a chance for the Mets to squeak in?

The market for free-agent SS Stephen Drew is shrinking, the Red Sox feel they have all the leverage in negotiations and may soon make a one-year, take-it-or-leave-it offer (Abraham, Dec. 27).
The Mets have reportedly shown interest in Drew, as well. However, they’re only interested in signing him to a one or a two-year deal (Kernan, Dec. 23, Cafardo, Dec. 22).
Boras is attempting to engage the Mets to sign Drew and Kendrys Morales(Crasnick, Dec. 22), but the Mets are not focused on upgrading at first base (Baron, Dec. 22).
In early December, Sandy Alderson said, at that point in time, if he was going to upgrade shortstop with a high-profile player, it was more to likely happen with a trade than the free-agent market.

As for Tejada, he just doesn't have the work effort. He didn't want to train with Reyes the year before he left us and just doesn't seem committed. Big lack of effort from him.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go 2 years, max. One year and losing a pick wont be worth it, give him 2 so losing the pick doesn't hurt as mch.

Yeah but you could think of it as lose a 3rd round pick this year and potentially get a first if somebody signs him next offseason.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you could think of it as lose a 3rd round pick this year and potentially get a first if somebody signs him next offseason.

Of course, same thing could happen with Chris Young as well, if he bounces back.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew would provide a lot more stability at SS than what we currently have.....but I also understand Sandy if he doesn't want to give him more than 1 yr...unless the 2nd yr is loaded w/ incentive clauses.

* on a side note: there has to come a time when a front office isn't so reliant upon draft picks, as the majority of the picks never quite pan out as envisioned. It's basically a craps shoot in baseball more than in the other major sports, as far as finding /grooming an impact player who pays immediate dividends.
Stockpiling those picks can also be an erroneous strategy imho.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the hold up is the Mets don't want him for 2 years, it doesn't make sense. The SS free agent class next year is much stronger than this year, so signing him to 2 years you miss out on that and then in 2016 when we should be contending you still have a hole to fill. At the same time, Drew doesn't want to become a free agent next year because the market will be watered down and his value will decrease. So really it's 1 year deal or 3 year deal (not ideal with his age and injury history).

Let some other team swoop in and offer him 3, I'll take my chances with Tejada and see what happens with next years crop of free agents.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew would provide a lot more stability at SS than what we currently have.....but I also understand Sandy if he doesn't want to give him more than 1 yr...unless the 2nd yr is loaded w/ incentive clauses.

* on a side note: there has to come a time when a front office isn't so reliant upon draft picks, as the majority of the picks never quite pan out as envisioned. It's basically a craps shoot in baseball more than in the other major sports, as far as finding /grooming an impact player who pays immediate dividends.
Stockpiling those picks can also be an erroneous strategy imho.

Well they did say that they would surrender the picks to help the ball club. They said you really can't build through the draft since many players are hit or miss, rather than building through free agency. Which makes sense.