• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Say It Ain't So

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't taste terrible out of a can but if you truly believe there's no difference than we'll have to agree to disagree. The only reason cans exist is because it's chesper. No I'm not brainwashed or falling for a cliched stigma, this is truth as far as I'm concerned. If there really was no difference breweries would switch entirely to cans.

No, they wouldn't. Not at least as long as people keep falling for the marketing gimmick.

I couldn't care less if you prefer a bottle. Just don't look down on me for preferring a can. For me, it's cheaper, easier to keep cold, tastes fabulous and is easily recyclable.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't taste terrible out of a can but if you truly believe there's no difference than we'll have to agree to disagree. The only reason cans exist is because it's chesper. No I'm not brainwashed or falling for a cliched stigma, this is truth as far as I'm concerned. If there really was no difference breweries would switch entirely to cans.

Not accurate. I'm a professional brewer with competition-judging under my belt. Beer in cans is vastly superior. I'm not going to type out why a second time. There's another thread where I illustrate all the reasons why bottles need to go the way of the Dodo.

As far as breweries switching entirely to cans, to whom are you referring? There is an economic consequence to switching out equipment (bottling lines are bottling lines; you can't just fill cans with a bottling line). Many breweries can't afford this cost.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All beer of flavor should be poured into a glass. If you drink from a bottle or can, you're doing it wrong. You aren't getting the flavor of the beer.

Sam Adams is simply getting with the times. Some of the best beers in the world are canned.

For that matter, all beer WITHOUT EXCEPTION should be poured into a glass.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they wouldn't. Not at least as long as people keep falling for the marketing gimmick.

I couldn't care less if you prefer a bottle. Just don't look down on me for preferring a can. For me, it's cheaper, easier to keep cold, tastes fabulous and is easily recyclable.

I don't recall saying I thought higher of myself and less of you for preferring cans?

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For that matter, all beer WITHOUT EXCEPTION should be poured into a glass.

I will only drink Foster's out of the can. Something about that oil-can experience cannot be found with a glass. :suds:

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not accurate. I'm a professional brewer with competition-judging under my belt. Beer in cans is vastly superior. I'm not going to type out why a second time. There's another thread where I illustrate all the reasons why bottles need to go the way of the Dodo.

As far as breweries switching entirely to cans, to whom are you referring? There is an economic consequence to switching out equipment (bottling lines are bottling lines; you can't just fill cans with a bottling line). Many breweries can't afford this cost.

Can you link to where you said it before? Is it because the can filters out light?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you link to where you said it before? Is it because the can filters out light?

Not sure where it was (some other thread in the beer forum).

Basically, there is less oxygen pickup in the process, more control over packaged airs (limiting the damage done by oxidation, and allowing a longer shelf life), and no reaction with light (leading to mercaptan production which produces the skunky character of a lightstruck beer).

From the brewer's perspective, there's really no comparison. Cans are safer, lighter, much more durable, easier to store, cheaper to manufacture and less work to transport.

There is literally no tactical advantage to putting beer in bottles. The only advantage that bottles have over cans is consumer misperception.

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottles and cans are the EXACT same price!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where it was (some other thread in the beer forum).

Basically, there is less oxygen pickup in the process, more control over packaged airs (limiting the damage done by oxidation, and allowing a longer shelf life), and no reaction with light (leading to mercaptan production which produces the skunky character of a lightstruck beer).

From the brewer's perspective, there's really no comparison. Cans are safer, lighter, much more durable, easier to store, cheaper to manufacture and less work to transport.

There is literally no tactical advantage to putting beer in bottles. The only advantage that bottles have over cans is consumer misperception.

I came into this thread to say this.

Also, if your beer is pulling metal from the can into its solution at any appreciable rate, there's probably something in your beer that you didn't want there. There should be no metallic taste (and isn't if you pour it into the glass and don't literally taste the can while drinking) in the beer because there is nothing chemical in the beer which would lead to that sort of taste.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the durability between cans and bottles, I have a funny story. Before I get started, let me just say that a full can is capable of surviving being dropped, where a bottle will break almost immediately.

On one canning run we had just finished a pallet (70 cases; 7 stacks of 10), and one of the other guys in the brewery was moving it into the cold room with a pallet jack. About 30 seconds later he comes out and tells the owner, "Ummm, I lost contol of the pallet jack, and spilled most of that pallet."

I walk into the cold room, and there are 4-packs EVERYWHERE. He ran the pallet jack into one of the floors drainouts, and it stopped cold, while the beer continued in motion.

It was awesome. You know, since I wasn't the one getting yelled at. Long story short, though, despite all of that, only four beers were lost. Had that been bottles, half the pallet would have been broken.