• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sark where art thou? Was he fired today?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC's investigation failed to uncover the deep connection between McKnight and Schenter, which included giving McKnight two cars (including the black SUV) and plane tickets. When you investigate a connection, and fail to find the connection, the investigation was botched. Now - in fairness - when you investigate a connection with the intent to NOT find any evidence, then I guess the investigation ends up successful when you fail to find the evidence.

We've been though this before. I think that we can agree that the NCAA did not pursue the Schenter/McKnight affair out of a sense that USC had been through enough. But concluding that there was nothing there that was nothing there that was actionable would be the height of absurdity. But I am also sure that we disagree on that point as well.

But, while not football related, I think we can agree that Scott Schenter is a scumbag and deserves to rot in jail along with his scumbag boss, John Noguez.

As much as I think of Petros Papadakis as a clown (although I'm sure he does too as it is all part of his shhtick) I do think he has a lot of insight into USC for the very reasons you state. He was dead-on-balls-accurate in his entire assessment of the lack of interest in hiring Ed Orgeron, for example. I would actually place a high level of credence in Papadakis' analysis.

So basically, if in fact Papadakis is correct and Sarkisian was Haden's guy (and I admit that the evidence seems to be more compelling to support that argument rather than my speculation) then Haden really needs to go. He is showing that when it comes to taking care of things the "right" way, he is inept. And that kind of ineptitude is bound to return USC to the way things were done under Mike Garrett, who in my mind, represents everything that can possibly be wrong with intercollegiate athletics.

Outside of Schenter being a scumbag, I'll agree to disagree on the first part.

Yeah, Petros definitely has being a clown as part of his schtick and I don't put a lot of stock in some of his opinions about USC. I think he tries to hard to not be a homer and can be over the top in his criticisms, especially of the players. I also think some of it just his pride in being a former player as well.

However, my experience when he comments about "behind the scenes" stuff at USC is that, as you say, he's pretty spot on much of the time. It's a safe bet that when he says something is likely to happen, it's at least being discussed and when he says something did happen, he's likely pretty spot on.

His analysis of why Orgeron wouldn't be USC's next coach was part of what got me ready to jump off the Orgeron bandwagon. Him getting badly outcoached by Mora in the UCLA game (which I think Petros predicted), got me to actually jump. :lol:

My guess is that, at the very least, Haden is sitting on a pretty hot seat right now. If he survives, he simply can't screw up on the next hire. I know USC used a highly respected national search firm who did the vetting, plus Sark had to pass USC and NCAA background checks. The problem with vetting is that there are a very limited number of questions that can be asked without fear of lawsuit or violating the law.

It's going to be interesting at USC for a little while until all of this gets sorted out. Meanwhile, every coach in the world who's had any kind of success ever, will be rumored to be the next USC coach.

Doubt he'd even get so much as an interview, but I wouldn't mind seeing USC give Mark Mangino a look.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruits are jumping ship now. Should have known that was coming. The rest of the PAC12 looks to get the better at USC's expense.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be interesting at USC for a little while until all of this gets sorted out. Meanwhile, every coach in the world who's had any kind of success ever, will be rumored to be the next USC coach.
The thing is that as a Domer, I hate to see USC be too successful. But when I get past my partisanship, I hate to see the players dragged through this ridiculousness. I eman - other than the sin of choosing to attend a school against which I root, they don't deserve to be placed in the middle of this kind of thing.

And that tends to be the biggest thing that pisses me off in college football. There are far too many people (boosters, for example) who think the program is about them or exists for their glory, but they forget that it is really about the kids who play. When a recruit makes a commitment to play for a school, he makes that commitment in light of the commitment the institution makes back - to provide access to a top-notch education and to provide an opportunity to compete in football at the highest level. The second part is completely undermined when an AD makes a crap hire for the coaching position.

And that's the legacy that Pat Haden will have. He basically cratered the football program (albeit nothing that can't be fixed, and perhaps even quickly, but it will take some time and will affect this season wildly) and sold out all of those kids who made commitments to bust their asses for USC. They deserve better out of the leadership.

But I still hope they lose this weekend. Because I'm that way.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh - and I'm calling it now. The next head coach at Southern Cal will be Todd Graham. He has to be getting itchy to move by now. He's been at ASU forever!