• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: San Francisco Giants @ Los Angeles Dodgers

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peavy v. Anderson
Bumgarner v. Greinke
Leake v. Kewshaw

Should be a classic series and a the biggest one of the year. No excuse for the Dodgers who have Greinke and Kershaw going. 2 outta 3 or this series is a failure.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops. Title was deceiving.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pivotal series for sure. The Dodgers have a real opportunity to bury the Giants.

I can't imagine how obnoxious Giants fans are going to be at Chavez. The. Worst.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I reported my other series thread to get deleted, so I'm just going to copy&paste my post to this one:

That's about the only good news that the Giants have as far as their offense goes. They'll be without Pence and Panik. They've had some positive production from Marlon Byrd, Nori Aoki, and Matt Duffy. Posey is a stud (duh). Belt is being what the Dodgers wanted from Loney (although not quite as good on defense). Outside of that.. meh... Brandon Crawford will be returning from injury on Monday, so hopefully that's still nagging him and gets re-aggravated or something.

Obviously, the Dodgers just got no-hit, but the Giants have been sputtering in their own right. Mike Leake hasn't been much more of a difference-maker than Alex Wood since those trades went down (better, yea, but not in a huge way).

If the Dodgers are to face the Giants this time of the year, this is how the want it (although it would be way nice if Bumgarner twisted his ankle on a banana peel in the next 36 hours...). Dodgers send their best three pitchers. Giants send a banged-up lineup. Dodgers' relievers are coming off of a rock-solid week.

Winning on Monday against the Giants would be the best possible way to shake off the second no-hitter in 9 days.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make or break series more for the Dodgers, they haven't proved to the Giants they are better.

If we lose all three games they are still .5 games in first. So I don't know if it breaks them.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers lose 3 at home with Anderson, Grenke and Kershaw, the finish line will be established. 2 of 3 wins, and the driver seat is ours.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlon Byrd is a Dodger-killer. Not much Utley could do with that one.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely difficult play for Utley, yet another example of why K's are more valuable.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a bit tired, but what a game last night. Hatcher?!??~??? Where did that come from?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicasio made a mental error in the 8th. He was worried about Duffy stealing third when it didn't really matter, Duffy would have scored on a single with his speed regardless, and with 2 outs that eliminates the sacrifice fly, Byrd doesn't run extremely well so on a grounder you would have surely gotten him.

He should have focused on Byrd, who's been on fire since joining the Giants, instead of staring down the runner mid-throw. Other than that one mistake, the bullpen was flawless last night. Need to see more of that.

Got another hurdle to get over, taking down the Mad Bum will be a difficult task.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely difficult play for Utley, yet another example of why K's are more valuable.

Sorry, but you and Villian need to give up this ridiculous notion that strikeouts are "more valuable" . There's nothing that is going to guarantee that you get a out on a ground ball, but at the same time you can't always count on a pitcher getting a batter to miss three pitches! Ya strikeouts are great, but most outs in a game are not by the almighty strikeout, in fact probably less than 30% of all outs in a game come from a strikeout! What about the other night when the Cubs had runners at 1st and 2nd with 1 out in the 7th inning, Howell got the "ground ball" for a double play with 1 pitch. But I guess it wasn't as "valuable, if he could have "maybe" gotten 2 guys to miss 6 pitches.

Please let's be realistic, an out is an out, a strikeout is not "more valuable" than any other out, ya there are certain situations where a strikeout or ground ball would be more preferable than the other, but last I checked all outs count the same as any other
out.

But I guess if what you say is true, we need to find that rare guy that can strikeout 27 guys a game, after all that would be more valuable, than if we had a guy that got 27 ground ball outs

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but you and Villian need to give up this ridiculous notion that strikeouts are "more valuable" . There's nothing that is going to guarantee that you get a out on a ground ball, but at the same time you can't always count on a pitcher getting a batter to miss three pitches! Ya strikeouts are great, but most outs in a game are not by the almighty strikeout, in fact probably less than 30% of all outs in a game come from a strikeout! What about the other night when the Cubs had runners at 1st and 2nd with 1 out in the 7th inning, Howell got the "ground ball" for a double play with 1 pitch. But I guess it wasn't as "valuable, if he could have "maybe" gotten 2 guys to miss 6 pitches.

Please let's be realistic, an out is an out, a strikeout is not "more valuable" than any other out, ya there are certain situations where a strikeout or ground ball would be more preferable than the other, but last I checked all outs count the same as any other
out.

But I guess if what you say is true, we need to find that rare guy that can strikeout 27 guys a game, after all that would be more valuable, than if we had a guy that got 27 ground ball outs

No one's arguing the likelihood of one against the other, the thing we are discussing is value. Strikeouts are more valuable.

There's risk involved whenever the ball's put in play, double plays aren't guaranteed either, that isn't the case with a strikeout.

Last edited:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one's arguing the likelihood of one against the other, the thing we are discussing is value. Strikeouts are more valuable.

There's risk involved whenever the ball's put in play, double plays aren't guaranteed either, that isn't the case with a strikeout.

A strikeout isnt a guaranteed out either, I've also seen guys overthrow trying to get the strikeout and end up walking the guy, I've also seen strikeouts where the guy got on because of a wild pitch or passed ball. Sorry, I just don't buy into any out being more valuable than any other out! When you need an out it doesn't matter how you get it. Ya "it's nice" to get a strikeout with runners on and nobody out, but that pop up, or short fly to the outfield, or ground ball right at someone is just as valuable as that strikeout, that's all I'm saying!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are one of the best "clutch" hitting teams yet they've lost 20 games by 1 run.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greinke getting solid wood on a 99 MPH pitch. So close to being the first pitcher to get a hit on Bumgarner this year. (Greinke hasn't given up to a pitcher either)