• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Howell is apparently our starter for 2023

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this off season could be that it is being decided by a bunch of guys who won't be after the season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how accurate the report of EB lovi ng howell is. How can you really make a sound judgment after 20 NFL passes.

I like howell but I am not ready to annoint him our franchise qb. What I would like to see is howell behind an above average OLine and a competent playcaller.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Howell can throw and run the football, which might be appealing to EB. I read an article on how EB likes qbs who at least are a threat to run the ball, and schemes a few qb sneaks in weekly gameplans to keep defenses honest.

Howell was a potential top ten pick the year before he was drafted, when all of his weapons, including dyami brown, left for the pros…

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how accurate the report of EB lovi ng howell is. How can you really make a sound judgment after 20 NFL passes.

I like howell but I am not ready to annoint him our franchise qb. What I would like to see is howell behind an above average OLine and a competent playcaller.
I hope it's not one of those situations where you tell someone what they want to hear because they want the job. Remember how much Gruden "loved" RG3.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy was 1A or depending on your perspective Lawrence was 1A to him coming out of college. No one is saying that Lawrence can't sling it and no one will say it about Fields either once he gets an NFL-level supporting cast around him.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this moment, we must admit that Washington has the worse QB in their division and one of the worse in their conference because he's untried, untested, and graded out as a 5th-round draft pick. We're either looking at the next iteration of Tom Brady or most likely still in search of a franchise QB.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this moment, we must admit that Washington has the worse QB in their division and one of the worse in their conference because he's untried, untested, and graded out as a 5th-round draft pick. We're either looking at the next iteration of Tom Brady or most likely still in search of a franchise QB.

I would argue that it’s now EB’s job to make Howell into a formidable qb.

Fortunately, EB has experience altering offenses to fit personnel. The cupboard in DC isnt bare: there are three viable wr’s, and lots of untapped potential in a fourth (brown), a well rounded set of tight ends, and two quality rbs. While it’s easier said than done, the washington offense only really needs 2-3 linemen and sam howell to be average for it to be adequate.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm good with it. fix the O-line and they will have cash to re-sign payne and get some FA help if they go that route.
what else is new. We have had the worst QB for the last 2 decades.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Howell can throw and run the football, which might be appealing to EB. I read an article on how EB likes qbs who at least are a threat to run the ball, and schemes a few qb sneaks in weekly gameplans to keep defenses honest.

Howell was a potential top ten pick the year before he was drafted, when all of his weapons, including dyami brown, left for the pros…
Perhaps there's a way to figure out why he dropped to the 5th round in the 2022 NFL draft. The top 4 by ranking in order were...

Player Rankings - Quarterback

#PlayerWeightHeight40YD
1Matt Corral200lbs6-04.65
2Kenny Pickett217lbs6-34.73
3Malik Willis220lbs6-14.42
4Sam Howell221lbs6-14.87

Here are Howell's college stats...

1676758838592.png

I would argue that SH had a better 2021 season than he did in the year prior when he gained notoriety as a possible first round QB. That said, I believe that playing in a relatively weak football conference was a key to his fall.

Ranking the College Football Conferences After the 2021 Season (His final season)​

1. SEC​

Average FPI Ranking: 36.4
Bowl record: 6-8
Final AP Top 25: Georgia (1), Alabama (2), Ole Miss (11), Kentucky (18), Arkansas (21)

2. Big Ten​

Average FPI Ranking: 40.2
Bowl record: 6-4
Final AP Top 25: Michigan (3), Ohio State (6), Michigan State (9), Iowa (23)

3. Big 12​

Average FPI Ranking: 37.7
Bowl record: 5-2
Final AP Top 25: Baylor (5), OK State (7), Oklahoma (10)

4. ACC​

Average FPI ranking: 43.3
Bowl game record: 2-4
Final AP Top 25: Pitt (13), Clemson (14), Wake (15), NC State (20)

Ranking Every College Football Conference After the 2020 Season (His best year?)​

1. Southeastern Conference​

Average FPI Ranking: 40.0
Final CFP Top 25: Alabama (1), Texas A&M (5), Florida (7), Georgia (9)
Bowl Record: 7-2

2. Big Ten Conference​

Average FPI Ranking: 40.6
Final CFP Top 25: Ohio State (3), Indiana (11), Northwestern (14), Iowa (15)
Bowl Record: 3-2

3. Big 12 Conference​

Average FPI Ranking: 37.8
Final CFP Top 25: Oklahoma (6), Iowa State (10), Texas (20), Oklahoma State (21)
Bowl Record: 5-0

4. Atlantic Coastal Conference​

Average FPI Ranking: 51.3
Final CFP Top 25: Clemson (2), Notre Dame (4), North Carolina (13), Miami (18), NC State (23)
Bowl Record: 0-6

Finally, there's his scouting report...

Washington Commanders
DRAFTED: ROUND: 5 - PICK NUMBER: 144 (WSH)

DRAFT PROFILE: BIO​

Howell was a four-star rated quarterback by 247 Sports, ranked as the No. 3 dual-threat in the 2019 class and a top-100 player nationally.
North Carolina's Sam Howell has been a starter since Day 1 of his Tar Heel career, earning ACC Rookie of the Year honors in 2019 and following that up with an even more impressive campaign in 2020. His 68 touchdown passes are a conference record for a QB through his sophomore season and received second-team All-ACC honoree and was a Manning Award finalist.

The 2021 season has been a down one for Howell where his stats have dropped across the board - whether he declares for the draft is up in the air currently.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
  • Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes.
  • Sticks throws into tight windows over the middle, throwing to spot on slant or between zone defenders before the receiver is open.
  • Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
  • Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.
  • Footwork - Howell has some of the best footwork I've seen from a college QB. His ability to create a base for himself is amazing. I have barely seen any heel clicks or crossing feet in his drop back. Also he escapes the pocket very well and can create space for himself
  • Howell makes easy throws look easy underneath and has a pretty deep ball with lots of air underneath it.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes. Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.
  • Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws. Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.
  • Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches. Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when off-balance.
  • Marginal height, which will prove more of a detriment in an offense that asks him to drop back from center more often.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Howell was an obvious first-rounder at the end of 2020 but 2021 has had a major impact on his draft stock where he hasn't looked even remotely as impressive. It's for NFL teams to decide whether it was the loss of Howell's two backs- Michael Carter (1,512 scrimmage yards, 11 touchdowns) and Javonte Williams (1,445 scrimmage yards, 22 touchdowns) and top wideouts have been responsible for the drop-off or it's something more innate.

We think taking Howell in the first round would be a major reach given his recent performances and consider him as a third-round prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft- with the potential to become an NFL starter.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fortunately, EB has experience altering offenses to fit personnel. The cupboard in DC isnt bare: there are three viable wr’s, and lots of untapped potential in a fourth (brown), a well rounded set of tight ends, and two quality rbs. While it’s easier said than done, the washington offense only really needs 2-3 linemen and sam howell to be average for it to be adequate.
Formidable QB? How? You play the cards that you've been dealt and under no circumstances try to turn a Volks-wagon beetle into a Bentley. Perhaps we disagree on how we see Howell, but it isn't a secret that I have little regard for QBs taken below the top 5 picks of the 3rd round. I honestly believe that it is a waste to draft QBs after that because you're always drafting high-end athletic pedigree which shows up consistently in crucial moments, playoffs, and championship games. (apologies to Brady and the handful of others who made their marks throughout history)

If you had to describe the majority of the players who make NFL rosters, I have no doubt that labeling them the "best of the best" would summarize that description. The question is... who among them are the best of these top-line families of athletes? I do not disagree with you when talking about our WRs, RBs, fairly young TE group, and needs on the O-line but again we differ when looking for an "average" QB and an "adequate" offense.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what else is new. We have had the worst QB for the last 2 decades.
I agree! The interesting thing about that is the resignation of so many because of it. We've heard it time and again... "You can win with these guys!" which is true, but win what?... apparently a game or two more than the season before and hopefully a berth in the playoffs as fodder for teams not looking to just make it, but focused on winning it all.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That lineman part is the concern I have. Rivera does not have a good track record here of signing or drafting OLineman.

Payne will soak up a 1/3 of the cap room if resigned so that leaves us with 40 million (if all reported eligible cuts are made).

I know I am in the minority, but I don't think we need to resign Payne. That 18-20 million can go to bolster the CB and LB corp, and get a Guard. We can then use early picks (1st and 2nd round) to address OLine or another offensive position if the value is right.

To me, this offseason just became about:

1. Giving EB all the help he needs to run a successful offense
2. Giving Howell all the help he needs to develop

That help comes in the form of free agents and early draft picks. Honestly, I would like to see an allocation of 70/30 to the offense in terms of cap space and draft picks. The defense has been allocated numerous resources since Rivera has arrived here. While I would love to have Payne back, I think DLine is an area that does NOT require a tremendous amount of cap space and draft picks. Before I am killed, for the record, I like Payne, but even if we have 65 million in suggested cap space, the OLine will be expensive. We need to show the same determination we do with the DLine (cap room and early draft picks) with a new rebuilt OLine. Unfortunately, I would like Payne's cap space be allocated to OLine or other defensive holes right now. Rivera neglecting the OLine has now come full circle and we cannot continue to kick that can down the road and hope ex-Panthers and journeymen get the job done. If the same haphazard attitude Rivera has shown the past 3 years shows itself again, EB and Howell will fail. I know nobody wants to hear this, but if the OLine is NOT properly addressed with high draft picks or pick and free agency, EB and Howell will fail period.

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That lineman part is the concern I have. Rivera does not have a good track record here of signing or drafting OLineman.

Payne will soak up a 1/3 of the cap room if resigned so that leaves us with 40 million (if all reported eligible cuts are made).

I know I am in the minority, but I don't think we need to resign Payne. That 18-20 million can go to bolster the CB and LB corp, and get a Guard. We can then use early picks (1st and 2nd round) to address OLine or another offensive position if the value is right.

To me, this offseason just became about:

1. Giving EB all the help he needs to run a successful offense
2. Giving Howell all the help he needs to develop

That help comes in the form of free agents and early draft picks. Honestly, I would like to see an allocation of 70/30 to the offense in terms of cap space and draft picks. The defense has been allocated numerous resources since Rivera has arrived here. While I would love to have Payne back, I think DLine is an area that does NOT require a tremendous amount of cap space and draft picks. Before I am killed, for the record, I like Payne, but even if we have 65 million in suggested cap space, the OLine will be expensive. We need to show the same determination we do with the DLine (cap room and early draft picks) with a new rebuilt OLine. Unfortunately, I would like Payne's cap space be allocated to OLine or other defensive holes right now. Rivera neglecting the OLine has now come full circle and we cannot continue to kick that can down the road and hope ex-Panthers and journeymen get the job done. If the same haphazard attitude Rivera has shown the past 3 years shows itself again, EB and Howell will fail. I know nobody wants to hear this, but if the OLine is NOT properly addressed with high draft picks or pick and free agency, EB and Howell will fail period.

Im with you on Payne not being resigned to a mega deal. I heard that he could be franchised then traded but it's just speculation. Oline will be brought in whether its 2 or 3. Howell is QB1 and we must build around him. Its going to be an interesting off season.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im with you on Payne not being resigned to a mega deal. I heard that he could be franchised then traded but it's just speculation. Oline will be brought in whether its 2 or 3. Howell is QB1 and we must build around him. Its going to be an interesting off season.
If the plan does involve not retaining Payne then I would also franchise him and trade him to Chicago for Fields or consider a sign-and-trade involving the same principals. They'll also want something else and I haven't settled on what I'd be willing to part with in draft capital.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the plan does involve not retaining Payne then I would also franchise him and trade him to Chicago for Fields or consider a sign-and-trade involving the same principals. They'll also want something else and I haven't settled on what I'd be willing to part with in draft capital.
Payne is apparently coveted badly by Chicago from what I have read. You might be on to something here.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Formidable QB? How? You play the cards that you've been dealt and under no circumstances try to turn a Volks-wagon beetle into a Bentley. Perhaps we disagree on how we see Howell, but it isn't a secret that I have little regard for QBs taken below the top 5 picks of the 3rd round. I honestly believe that it is a waste to draft QBs after that because you're always drafting high-end athletic pedigree which shows up consistently in crucial moments, playoffs, and championship games. (apologies to Brady and the handful of others who made their marks throughout history)

If you had to describe the majority of the players who make NFL rosters, I have no doubt that labeling them the "best of the best" would summarize that description. The question is... who among them are the best of these top-line families of athletes? I do not disagree with you when talking about our WRs, RBs, fairly young TE group, and needs on the O-line but again we differ when looking for an "average" QB and an "adequate" offense.

Sty, I admittedly dont know anything about college football, and I dont follow college football.

I do know, however, that Howell lost most of his weapons while still starting at unc, which caused his performance to suffer.

Now, from what I saw in preseason (irrelevant, really) and vs the cowboys (relevant, but small sample size), SH looks like he could be a starter in the nfl.

There are always caveats.
Then again, there are always caveats antithetical to your positions too.

If Howell was a first round pick at some point then he could / should be considered as such.

In any case, either EB can help him develop or he cant.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne is apparently coveted badly by Chicago from what I have read. You might be on to something here.
Yep, I read something about that too. In fact, they really are desperate for defensive help especially along their front seven.