• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Safeco Field best home run park in the majors

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They mentioned on the broadcast of the game that more home runs have been hit at Safeco Field this year, both by the M's and the visiting teams that come in, than at any other park. That is just ahead of Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati (206-204 with no other ballpark going over 200 so far). I know they've been hitting more homers at Safeco this year than usual, but the most in the majors? Is anyone else surprised by that stat? It's almost 3 home runs a game.

edit- Here's the proof: ESPN Home Run Tracker :: Ballpark Detail - 2016 Season

Last edited:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I had no idea, I figured we had that record locked up once again at Great American

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I had no idea, I figured we had that record locked up once again at Great American

Still a decent number of games left so it might still turn out that way, but if this keeps up, people might have to rethink Safeco Field's designation as a park where home runs go to die. I should note that I don't think that this total factors in last night's games. It looks like each ballpark added four more home runs to its respective totals last night. The weirdest part about this is that while baseballs are flying out of Safeco Field more often than out of any other park in the league, it still skews towards being a pitchers park overall.

It'd be interesting to find out how many of the runs scored at Safeco Field have come on home runs and how many have come in other ways. I'm too tired to look up how many of each type of home run has been hit by both the M's and their opponents at Safeco Field, add all those runs together and then subtract that total from the total number of runs scored overall, but given that not all of the 200+ home runs have been solo shots, the percentage of runs scored on home runs at The Safe has to be relatively high compared to the percentage of runs scored by other means. If all of the homers were solo shots, it would come out to about one-third of the total runs scored at Safeco Field. Since we know that not all of the home runs have been solo shots, the percentage has to be significantly north of one-third.

Last edited:

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how many more HRs have opponents hit at Safeco compared to us?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how many more HRs have opponents hit at Safeco compared to us?

Coming into tonight the M's were ahead of their opponents 104-103.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strangest thing to me is that in just 2 more home games than road, the Ms have hit ~20 more bombs home vs away. I personally think it's a bit of an anomaly, much like Seager's error totals.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They mentioned on the broadcast of the game that more home runs have been hit at Safeco Field this year, both by the M's and the visiting teams that come in, than at any other park. That is just ahead of Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati (206-204 with no other ballpark going over 200 so far). I know they've been hitting more homers at Safeco this year than usual, but the most in the majors? Is anyone else surprised by that stat? It's almost 3 home runs a game.

edit- Here's the proof: ESPN Home Run Tracker :: Ballpark Detail - 2016 Season

I think there is a few logical reasons for this.
1. The marine layer that permeates the Pacific northwest atmosphere has not been as noticeable the last couple of summers.
2. The Mariners have more power hitters than in recent years.
3. The Mariners have crappier pitching than in recent years.