• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Rutgers was the crown jewel of conference expansion"

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy gets it.

They might look like Junior Trojans but they hit like Senior citizens

I think Iowa State will shock the CFB world this year & win it all. I don't care if I have no idea who their HC coach is or the fact I couldn't name a single player, there's a shitload of talent in Ames, Iowa right now. CFB has been warned & they better be scared!

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban has done a good job at it. But its not fool proof. You never know what a recruit is going to feel is most important. They could be like, "I really love this girl that's going to Oklahoma, so I'm going to Oklahoma". In general, kids from the state tend to lean to the major in state schools but it would take a lot for Rutgers to become one and even then, they'd have trouble taking the entire state.
It'd be a hell of a job by Ash if he was able to protect the the borders, but it'll take a very long time, if ever.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Iowa State will shock the CFB world this year & win it all. I don't care if I have no idea who their HC coach is or the fact I couldn't name a single player, there's a shitload of talent in Ames, Iowa right now. CFB has been warned & they better be scared!
I forgot his name or where he came from, but he's actually showing up on the recruiting trail. Young guy...it will be interesting to see if he can start to make them at least competitive.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the top end talent, 1-2 players, is better I just don't see it making a difference to Rutgers. Even Michigan and Ohio don't always get the top player in the state.
Agreed. Rutgers would need multiple years of pulling in top 25 classes to get in state recruits to start taking them serious.

Anything is possible though. I will enjoy pillaging the state while we can though. :)

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Rutgers would need multiple years of pulling in top 25 classes to get in state recruits to start taking them serious.

Anything is possible though. I will enjoy pillaging the state while we can though. :)
I think a great example is MSU. It's taken them like 8 years to even start to get decent recruiting classes and pull major kids from in-state.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a great example is MSU. It's taken them like 8 years to even start to get decent recruiting classes and pull major kids from in-state.

that has more to do with their coach. Once Dantonio retires I think MSU reverts back to irrelvancy.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that has more to do with their coach. Once Dantonio retires I think MSU reverts back to irrelvancy.
It's very possible. I think he's got at least another 5 years in him, if not more. It still amazes me how hard it is for them to recruit well there. They have pretty good facilities, a top 10 coach, they've done lots of winning and still struggle to pull in top 25 classes.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very possible. I think he's got at least another 5 years in him, if not more. It still amazes me how hard it is for them to recruit well there. They have pretty good facilities, a top 10 coach, they've done lots of winning and still struggle to pull in top 25 classes.

Similar with UCLA. Not sure why the Bruins have only 1 NC and aren't as successful as their big bro over in Compton.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 straight top 25 classes, I think he's doing fine. He needs to emphasize the Sparty women more often, yowza.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not pretend like Rutgers wasn't brought to the B1G for one thing and one thing only, and that's $$$. The B1G recruited the state of New Jersey good before Rutgers joined. Them joining didn't help the B1G from a recruiting angle at all. And they sure as hell didn't bring them in because they are good athletically. They suck at Football, suck even more at basketball and their women's basketball program, which used to be a staple, has fallen into mediocrity.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 straight top 25 classes, I think he's doing fine. He needs to emphasize the Sparty women more often, yowza.
AMEN on MSU women. Spent many, many, many weekends partying in East Lansing as my girlfriend in college went there and lived on Abbott, which had a bunch of frat houses, so every weekend the whole street was party after party.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not pretend like Rutgers wasn't brought to the B1G for one thing and one thing only, and that's $$$. The B1G recruited the state of New Jersey good before Rutgers joined. Them joining didn't help the B1G from a recruiting angle at all. And they sure as hell didn't bring them in because they are good athletically. They suck at Football, suck even more at basketball and their women's basketball program, which used to be a staple, has fallen into mediocrity.

All moves in college are made based on money. The recruiting territory definitely didn't hurt their cause though. The other team added was Maryland, which has a solid recruiting territory as well. It increases the conference footprint and opened up new television markets in major areas.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All moves in college are made based on money. The recruiting territory definitely didn't hurt their cause though. The other team added was Maryland, which has a solid recruiting territory as well. It increases the conference footprint and opened up new television markets in major areas.

New Jersey could have produced zero high schools prospects, it wouldn't have mattered, they were offered to join the B1G because of the market, which translates into $$$. Delany could care less about recruiting footprint, especially a footprint they've proven to recruit well before Rutgers joined.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have to compete against Michigan for in state talent though. If you include non P5 FBS schools they have to compete against Central, East, and Western Michigan too. So Michigan State has 1 P5 and 3 FBS teams to compete against for in state football talent. Rutgers is literally the only FBS school in the state of New Jersey.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to compete against Michigan for in state talent though. If you include non P5 FBS schools they have to compete against Central, East, and Western Michigan too. So Michigan State has 1 P5 and 3 FBS teams to compete against for in state football talent. Rutgers is literally the only FBS school in the state of New Jersey.

What about the N.J. Institute of Technology?:D