• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Shakeup Who Goes?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoak has returned and looks like the plan according to Geoff Baker, is to bring up Guti and Ackley possibly by this weekend?

That being said which two will be the casualties when they return?

Triunfel (sent down) l- he is a likely candidate, only problem I think the plan is to play Ackley in the outfield so that would give you no infield depth if you did that.

Saunders(sent down)-correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was one option left. If he's out of options then I would not include him, but he is still clearly scuffling and now may be the time for him to work on things?

Morse (DL)- Poor guy hasnt been able to stay healthy. Wedge came out last week and said he would have been DL'd if Smoak were healthy. Now is a good time to get him healthy and free up a roster spot.

Bay (DFA)- He has done what has been asked and played more then we thought. I dont think he goes but bottom line is he cant hit righties and isnt part of any future plans

Chavez (DFA)- I hope he isnt cut over Bay but I could see them doing it. He has been exactly what the team needs, a guy with speed that can bat leadoff and is hovering around .300. I would hate to have him cut and then have Guti go down again 2 weeks later and hes already signed else where.

So I guess I am curious who you guys think goes once Ackley and Guti are recalled?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoak has returned and looks like the plan according to Geoff Baker, is to bring up Guti and Ackley possibly by this weekend?

Triunfel (sent down) l- he is a likely candidate, only problem I think the plan is to play Ackley in the outfield so that would give you no infield depth if you did that.

Saunders(sent down)-correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was one option left. If he's out of options then I would not include him, but he is still clearly scuffling and now may be the time for him to work on things?

Morse (DL)- Poor guy hasnt been able to stay healthy. Wedge came out last week and said he would have been DL'd if Smoak were healthy. Now is a good time to get him healthy and free up a roster spot.

Bay (DFA)- He has done what has been asked and played more then we thought. I dont think he goes but bottom line is he cant hit righties and isnt part of any future plans

Chavez (DFA)- I hope he isnt cut over Bay but I could see them doing it. He has been exactly what the team needs, a guy with speed that can bat leadoff and is hovering around .300. I would hate to have him cut and then have Guti go down again 2 weeks later and hes already signed else where.

So I guess I am curious who you guys think goes once Ackley and Guti are recalled?

Honestly I would cut outright Guti, yes its a huge money hit, but there not going to get anything in return if they possibly find a partner in a trade, plus there is the simple fact Guti will come back and take another injury again....

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If this situation were to take place I think Triunfel would be sent down. Ackley becomes somewhat a utility guy that can play the outfield and second base. In a pinch Franklin can play some SS to give Ryan a breath (massive defensive difference).

I also wonder if Morse or Bay hit the DL if indeed Guti is back. Guti can then play for a week until he gets hurt again. If Saunders isn't out of options then he would be my choice. Prefer to hang on to Chavez.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would cut outright Guti, yes its a huge money hit, but there not going to get anything in return if they possibly find a partner in a trade, plus there is the simple fact Guti will come back and take another injury again....

I actually think this is a pretty good idea. He really hasn't done much for this team in a long time. I think he is a good player but he is hurt far more often than he is healthy. He only will end up hurting this team coming back and playing for a few days before he gets leprosy and inverts a knee cap. Meanwhile we may have lost a player that we were better off having.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How did you know he would get hurt again? <sarcasm off>

I watched him make that great catch up against the wall yesterday and my first words out of my mouth were 'uh oh, 15 day DL". Of course I was joking....................

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a waste of talent serious... To me it sounds like whenever Franklin gets a scratch or boo-boo he goes on the DL. I don't get any impression that he has ever tried to play through the slightest injury.

Typically I tend to give guys who catch the injury bug the benefit of the doubt but I get the impression Guti is just a pussy.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a waste of talent serious... To me it sounds like whenever Franklin gets a scratch or boo-boo he goes on the DL. I don't get any impression that he has ever tried to play through the slightest injury.

Typically I tend to give guys who catch the injury bug the benefit of the doubt but I get the impression Guti is just a pussy.

I'm sorry, but that's just a ridiculous thing to say. You're frustrated that he's not playing just like the rest of us are and I get that, but this goes beyond frustration into something else entirely. It's one thing to say he should be released or traded or whatever and I honestly can't argue that he shouldn't be at this point - except to say that there wouldn't be any point in it because the M's would still have to pay him regardless and at least by keeping him in the organization, they'd be able to get something for the money, even if it isn't much. But what you're suggesting is that he could have been playing all this time and just didn't want to.

First of all, to even get to the major league level, let alone stay there, you have to be able to play through things that would leave most of us non-athletes lying in bed in the fetal position. Hell... just to get back in good enough condition, both physically and mentally, to resume playing in the major leagues after all of the things he's been through takes having to work through pain. To even suggest that Franklin Gutierrez can't or won't play through pain simply because he keeps getting hurt is about as ignorant as it gets unless you're inside his head, which, I'm going to assume, is not the case.

I don't know which Franklin Gutierrez you've been watching over the years, but I've seen a guy who has tried to play despite one unfortunate medical issue after another. He had the illness that sapped him of his energy and quite a bit of his body mass (not to mention whatever other unpleasant issues that came with it) that he tried to play through, only to finally be unable to continue when he and the coaches realized that something was really wrong and that he wasn't doing himself or the team any good trying to continue to play through it. He then got hit in the face on a pick-off attempt, which would leave just about anyone else so traumatized that they wouldn't even want to see a baseball field on TV, let alone play on one at a high level again. Those two things alone have accounted for quite a bit of that time on the DL. Are you saying that he should have been trying to play through those things more than he did?

Please don't speculate on what an athlete can or cannot play through. Sometimes guys just have terrible luck with injuries. It happens.