• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roark turns into a Bitch, blasts Cubs' IBB strategy

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when somebody with the Cubs went to the press and basically called Wood a big baby who had to learn to pitch with some pain...2 weeks later, Wood is on the DL and being prepped for reconstructive surgery.
Idiocy at a really high level there...wouldn't want to be careful with a guy who had thrown a 20K, zero walk, one "hit" (bobbled dribbler) game against a good hitting team, would you? That said, Wood was probably bound to have issues with that motion. Maybe being a closer would have been better for him...???

I actually watched that rain delayed cold start back in May of 1998 I believe.....

Lone hit was from Ricky Guittierez......A dribbler to ss in the hole.

It actually ay have been the best pitched game in the history of MLB.....

After that game,I predicted Kerry would win R.O.Y.......Also hence my sign-in name.....:D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference.

intentional walks are legal.

Hack a Shaq is clearly against the rules, yet the NBA refuses to enforce the actual rule.

One is just good strategy. The other is the most corrupt sports entity on the planet screwing up one of the easiest situations a league could possibly deal with.
???

Hack-a-Shaq is a foul. It has a very spelled out set of consequences that are intended to offer a cost/benefit situation. To call it "against the rules", while technically accurate, is a bastardization of the word "accurate".

When you say the NBA is not "enforc[ing] the actual rule", how do you mean? A foul is called and assessed against the violating player/team. Seems like perfect enforcement to me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

Hack-a-Shaq is a foul. It has a very spelled out set of consequences that are intended to offer a cost/benefit situation. To call it "against the rules", while technically accurate, is a bastardization of the word "accurate".

When you say the NBA is not "enforc[ing] the actual rule", how do you mean? A foul is called and assessed against the violating player/team. Seems like perfect enforcement to me.

Maybe the 'Hack-a-whomever' strategy is suspect because the fouls are clearly intentional, and intentional fouls should result in more than just 2 free throws?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the NBA rules are pretty vague. I read this whole thing about how refs are instructed to make a distinction between "intentional" and "deliberate" , which are very similar words.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the 'Hack-a-whomever' strategy is suspect because the fouls are clearly intentional, and intentional fouls should result in more than just 2 free throws?

Only if they are egregious/intent to injure type stuff. Otherwise a foul is a fouls. If it is after the defensive team got to the penalty the foulee gets some free throws, an opportunity to take an uncontested shot from dead straight on @ 15' away.

I think the reason that Shaq fans moan about the "Hack a Shaq" strategy is because it was pretty effective.......................... mostly because watching that big galoot shoot a free throw is like watching Charles Barkley hit a golf ball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if they are egregious/intent to injure type stuff. Otherwise a foul is a fouls. If it is after the defensive team got to the penalty the foulee gets some free throws, an opportunity to take an uncontested shot from dead straight on @ 15' away.

I think the reason that Shaq fans moan about the "Hack a Shaq" strategy is because it was pretty effective.......................... mostly because watching that big galoot shoot a free throw is like watching Charles Barkley hit a golf ball.
This is not the board or thread to delve too far into this subject, but...

If the Magic/Lakers/Suns/Cavs/Celts/Whomever do not want the other team to perform Hack-a-Shaq, get the big galoot to practice his free-throws. Or get him off the floor (thats what the Dubs did w/ Iggy in last year's finals). The strategy is a GOOD strategy that exploits the opposing team's weakness. That is SMART basketball.

Intentionally walking the opposing teams best hitter because he has no protection in the lineup is just smart baseball.

And BTW...

It is technically "against the rules" to throw a pitched ball that is not over the plate, between the knees and the letters. If a pitcher does not follow that rule, the batter is awarded a "ball". If the team on defense breaks this rule 4 times in one AB, the batter is awarded a free base.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Magic/Lakers/Suns/Cavs/Celts/Whomever do not want the other team to perform Hack-a-Shaq, get the big galoot to practice his free-throws. Or get him off the floor (thats what the Dubs did w/ Iggy in last year's finals). The strategy is a GOOD strategy that exploits the opposing team's weakness. That is SMART basketball.

Intentionally walking the opposing teams best hitter because he has no protection in the lineup is just smart baseball.

And BTW...

It is technically "against the rules" to throw a pitched ball that is not over the plate, between the knees and the letters. If a pitcher does not follow that rule, the batter is awarded a "ball". If the team on defense breaks this rule 4 times in one AB, the batter is awarded a free base.

I can't disagree with any of that. Shaq only needed to get up into the low 70% range and most of it would have gone away.

Funny thing is I agree with Roarke and everyone on this thread calling him a bitch. The intentional base on balls is a bit of a bitch move, doing it or not even offering to throw a strike in 4-5 AB's is really wearing your vagina on your sleeve. However, it is up to Harper take his walks (free passes) and it's up to the National's players to pick him up or management to make improvements to the roster to increases the probability of that might happening.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And BTW...

Call it what it is. A flagrant 1.

That will stop it real quick. The NBA is just being oetty that real basketball (high school and college) don't allow hack a shaq because it is a shits and the ball violation.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That will stop it real quick. The NBA is just being oetty that real basketball (high school and college) don't allow hack a shaq because it is a shits and the ball violation.
are you using a random word generator?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like ol' Bryce is showing them tonight. He figures they can't walk him if he just swings at garbage and strikes out

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you using a random word generator?

Sorry. I really suck at typing on my phone. And SH is not mobile friendly so I struggle to see everything.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me fix this:

That will stop it real quick. The NBA is just being petty that real basketball (high school and college) don't allow hack a shaq because it is a shots and the ball violation. But then again, real, strong, legit referreeing has NEVER been the NBA's strength.

Ask Donaghy.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

Call it correctly. Like REAL basketball (high school and college).

Shots and the ball.

Call it correctly and the problem is solved.

But who am I kidding, it's not real basketball. It's the NBA. A glorified version of the Harlem Globetrotters.

They wouldn't know a correct call if it came across their monitor.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. I really suck at typing on my phone. And SH is not mobile friendly so I struggle to see everything.
Yeah, I know how that is. Between typing on the phone and "autocorrect" I have sent some bizarre text messages

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

Maybe he's speaking to an intentional foul type call? Or in the NBA a flagrant 1 type thing. I guess technically you could probably call a flagrant 1 in all those type of situations but I doubt it ever happens

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NBA doesn't have that intentional foul rule but I could see a F1 called in many if those cases

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree with any of that. Shaq only needed to get up into the low 70% range and most of it would have gone away.

Funny thing is I agree with Roarke and everyone on this thread calling him a bitch. The intentional base on balls is a bit of a bitch move, doing it or not even offering to throw a strike in 4-5 AB's is really wearing your vagina on your sleeve. However, it is up to Harper take his walks (free passes) and it's up to the National's players to pick him up or management to make improvements to the roster to increases the probability of that might happening.

Trust me, as a Giants fan I know it all too well. However, the job of the manager is to win games. If the Nats refuse to put Murphy behind Harper to protect him, it makes no sense to pitch to the only viable threat in the lineup. If you could take the ball out of MJ's hands, would you? Of course you would.

Fuck the Nats fans, it's about winning games. And if the Nats aren't winning games because their manager is a stubborn prick, then the fans should bitch about their own team, not the opposing team for coming up with an obviously successful strategy to win games.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA doesn't have that intentional foul rule but I could see a F1 called in many if those cases

It is a F1.

But they really should just adopt the IF from from basketball.

But since the NBA isn't real basketball, it never will.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the intentional walk is a bitch move, isn't kneeling down for the last three plays of a football game also a bitch move?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the intentional walk is a bitch move, isn't kneeling down for the last three plays of a football game also a bitch move?

Yes. I can't say I've ever been a big fan of kneeling down for 3 straight plays to end a game when the other team is out of time outs, but it is what it is.

I'm not suggesting any rule changes in either sport, mind you and I would (as a manager) intentionally walk a guy who was killing it, but...................................