• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rickie Weeks - our annual reclamation project

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting for this signing. I knew it was coming. It's tradition with the Mariners during the Jack Z regime.

In 2014 it was Corey Hart.
In 2013 it was Raul ibanez.
In 2012 it was Eric Thames.
In 2011 it was Caspar Wells.
In 2010 it was Milton Bradley.
In 2009 It was Ken Griffey.

Every year we have to have one of these guys. They steal playing time from younger players without really providing better results than the kids would have. Sure, Griffey and Ibanez worked out OK, so that's what, one out of every three? I don't like the odds. This year Weeks will be stealing playing time from James Jones and Stefen Romero. It does not matter how well Jones and Romero perform in Spring training or how poorly Weeks performs, he has a $2 million guaranteed salary, so he will coming north with the team in April.

However, Weeks is a strikeout machine, so maybe he'll fit right in. And last year whatever success he had can be directly attributed to the player's park that is Miller Stadium. He had a .948 OPS at home and a .656 OPS on the road.

To summarize, I think this signing sucks.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat shocked for the reason that this is a stupid signing and a clear waste of money. However I am not shocked that it was Jack Z that did this stupid shit. Weeks brings nothing to the team that the team doesn't already have.

You are right all this does is take away playing time from our younger guys, Jones, Romero, Taylor, Miller. I am disappointed. Pointless.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the difference in my opinion from a guy like or Hart or Ibanez is they aren't relying on him to succeed. With Hart/Ibanez/Bay etc. they were being relied on to be a middle of the order guy to produce. Weeks is more like a flier that they can just cut if it doesn't work. I don't think he eats into anyones time except Bloomqusit who is either not recovered from his injury or just will be cut. Romero and Jones were likely in Tacoma anyway and I expect the loser of the Taylor/Miller battle to be as well.

I mainly just think its funny that we are signing a 2nd baseman to move to the outfield. This roster has so many 2nd baseman that have been moved around.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure how it cuts into our young OF or the SS's/ Weeks has never played OF or SS. IF anything he is insurance in case bloomquist isn't ready for opening day. Weeks can spell Cano, probalby Morrison and maybe even Seags......

But please continue to be a ball full of negativity....

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure how it cuts into our young OF or the SS's/ Weeks has never played OF or SS. IF anything he is insurance in case bloomquist isn't ready for opening day. Weeks can spell Cano, probalby Morrison and maybe even Seags......

Responding negatively to our negativity? How negative of you.

And, a $2 million player, as aninsurance policy in case a guy making $1.5 million isn't ready for opening day? Odd.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guess what Weeks hasn't played 1st or 3rd either so what is your point? Insurance in case Bloomquist isn't ready is dumb as shit! Especially since he isn't even remotely close to being the utility player Bloomquist is. In his limited time last season Willie played SS, 2nd, 1st, 3rd and OF. The different positions Weeks has played throughout his career are......... second base.

This guy can't do anything that our current roster/organization doesn't already have. In fact he does it worse than the other options. Face it this is a pointless signing and a waste of a roster spot.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting for this signing. I knew it was coming. It's tradition with the Mariners during the Jack Z regime.

In 2014 it was Corey Hart.
In 2013 it was Raul ibanez.
In 2012 it was Eric Thames.
In 2011 it was Caspar Wells.
In 2010 it was Milton Bradley.
In 2009 It was Ken Griffey.

Every year we have to have one of these guys. They steal playing time from younger players without really providing better results than the kids would have. Sure, Griffey and Ibanez worked out OK, so that's what, one out of every three? I don't like the odds. This year Weeks will be stealing playing time from James Jones and Stefen Romero. It does not matter how well Jones and Romero perform in Spring training or how poorly Weeks performs, he has a $2 million guaranteed salary, so he will coming north with the team in April.

However, Weeks is a strikeout machine, so maybe he'll fit right in. And last year whatever success he had can be directly attributed to the player's park that is Miller Stadium. He had a .948 OPS at home and a .656 OPS on the road.

To summarize, I think this signing sucks.

Don't forget Chris Young or maybe Russell Branyon if he can be considered reclamation.

The positive side to this is Weeks will be a bench player/low impact/insurance reclamation project. The other guys were projected as starters. He basically replaces boom boom and has more power but less defensive skills. I like the signing and now we have good options against Leftys.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what Weeks hasn't played 1st or 3rd either so what is your point? Insurance in case Bloomquist isn't ready is dumb as shit! Especially since he isn't even remotely close to being the utility player Bloomquist is. In his limited time last season Willie played SS, 2nd, 1st, 3rd and OF. The different positions Weeks has played throughout his career are......... second base.

This guy can't do anything that our current roster/organization doesn't already have. In fact he does it worse than the other options. Face it this is a pointless signing and a waste of a roster spot.

Are you saying Weeks cannot provide at least as much value overall as WFB? I just don't buy that. Maybe I am wrong, but having RH power on the bench and for resting guys against tough leftys seems like a good thing. He seems like he could be a decent upgrade offensively from WFB and a slight downgrade defensively.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem throwing out criticism to this organization when deserved but I don't think its deserved here. Are we really upset about $2 mill here? I mean if that amount is gonna prevent us from doing other things then we are in worse shape that I thought.

The only spot he is taking is Bloomquist's and lets be real here, WFB is 37 years old coming off Micro fracture surgery. If he can play decent enough in the OF to take AB's from Ackley then its a bonus in my book. The guy had a .865 OPS vs lefties last year which was better then anyone on our roster including Cano.

It's $2mill for a chance to improve the team. Its not the same as spending triple the amount on Hart and counting on him to be your cleanup hitter and DH.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure there really is a positive to this just a waste of an opportunity for younger guys to get experience. Having a RH bat on the bench is a plus but who is he going to spell, the only guy on the team he can spell is Cano and don't see that happening. They go from turning MIF's to OF's so why the heck not try to teach an old dog new tricks. Outside of Jackson (if Guti doesn't make it) they don't have one legitimate fielding outfielder.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure there really is a positive to this just a waste of an opportunity for younger guys to get experience. Having a RH bat on the bench is a plus but who is he going to spell, the only guy on the team he can spell is Cano and don't see that happening. They go from turning MIF's to OF's so why the heck not try to teach an old dog new tricks. Outside of Jackson (if Guti doesn't make it) they don't have one legitimate fielding outfielder.

Younger guys need ABs and innings, not sitting on the bench, pinch hitting and getting an occasional start. If using younger guys as bench bats was a thing, then we would not have WFB anywhere near our roster. I think Weeks will learn a bit of 1B as emergency backup as well as play some RF. Which younger guys do you want rotting on the bench who have also shown the ability to hit Leftys with over .800 OPS?

It is a weird move, but if Weeks can learn a couple spots it gives us some needed RH power on the bench and its only 2 million. If he sucks, then bring on the young guns. Maybe they have learned something and can now hit a MLB breaking ball.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eeks is more like a flier that they can just cut if it doesn't work...

that's if Ackley is able to keep playing .250 ball. i think he probably will, but it's still an if.

if he doesn't, Weeks' expectations and role becomes quite a bit bigger. there's really nobody else to try to get in there to contribute to a team trying to win the pennant and make the playoffs.

we're simply not in a situation where we can know that any outfield signing is a luxury depth signing, unfortunately. if romero and another youngster start finding their stride, then everything becomes a little better. :)

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying Weeks cannot provide at least as much value overall as WFB? I just don't buy that. Maybe I am wrong, but having RH power on the bench and for resting guys against tough leftys seems like a good thing. He seems like he could be a decent upgrade offensively from WFB and a slight downgrade defensively.

The only way Weeks provides more value is if Bloomquists career is over and he doesn't play. Which is a possibility. Plus its kind of comparing apples and oranges, Willie is a utility guy that can play any position and hit for a solid avg. Weeks is a hitter that hits LHP. Weeks is bad at defense has no experience at any other position than second base so him playing any other position is a bit of a crap shoot.

Plain and simple this has Jack Z written all over it he loves this type of player the signing of Weeks is the equivalent to signing Dayan Viciedo except believe it or not Viciedo has played other positions.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so nevermind everything i said about weeks since he's an infielder......derp

zero reason to trash Z for this kind of move.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem throwing out criticism to this organization when deserved but I don't think its deserved here. Are we really upset about $2 mill here? I mean if that amount is gonna prevent us from doing other things then we are in worse shape that I thought.

The only spot he is taking is Bloomquist's and lets be real here, WFB is 37 years old coming off Micro fracture surgery. If he can play decent enough in the OF to take AB's from Ackley then its a bonus in my book. The guy had a .865 OPS vs lefties last year which was better then anyone on our roster including Cano.

It's $2mill for a chance to improve the team. Its not the same as spending triple the amount on Hart and counting on him to be your cleanup hitter and DH.

And if he can't play a decent enough OF to take AB's from Ackley then what? Where do you put him then? Put Cruz in the OF and DH Weeks?

Now I am assuming Weeks signed with the M's with the understanding that he would have to be willing to play multiple positions in order for him to be worthwhile for the Mariners. Im guessing corner outfield, maybe a little 1st maybe a little 3rd. Everyone realizes that if he cannot play those new positions he does the Mariners no good right? In order for him to hit the LHPing he has to play somewhere.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought it was a wasted signing because 1 year, $2M is nothing, but I thought it was a waste because I thought Weeks was done. After looking up his stats, I didn't realize he had a decent year last year. I had his 2 previous years stuck in my head which were just awful. I could see him as an option for platoon at 1B if Montero doesn't make it to the show. OF might be a stretch, but Ray Durham did it late in his career so it is possible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Younger guys need ABs and innings, not sitting on the bench, pinch hitting and getting an occasional start. If using younger guys as bench bats was a thing, then we would not have WFB anywhere near our roster. I think Weeks will learn a bit of 1B as emergency backup as well as play some RF. Which younger guys do you want rotting on the bench who have also shown the ability to hit Leftys with over .800 OPS?

It is a weird move, but if Weeks can learn a couple spots it gives us some needed RH power on the bench and its only 2 million. If he sucks, then bring on the young guns. Maybe they have learned something and can now hit a MLB breaking ball.

Which is the huge problem with the Mariners giving non major league outfielders outfield positions and now another dude blocking the potential of seeing if a guy can cut it or not. The teams ceiling is the wild card, IMO there is zero reason to not see if some young guys can step in and play. Think about it, we are really looking at the Mariners going into this season without a single outfielder who will be on the team next season (unless Ackley has a breakout season).

I agree with the second point except the whole Melky thing. I haven't heard any numbers or offers but it seems as though they couldn't find some extra cash or a year for him yet they have a couple million for a roster spot who's ceiling is a pinch hitter and his floor is a dude DFA by June.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he can't play a decent enough OF to take AB's from Ackley then what? Where do you put him then? Put Cruz in the OF and DH Weeks?

Now I am assuming Weeks signed with the M's with the understanding that he would have to be willing to play multiple positions in order for him to be worthwhile for the Mariners. Im guessing corner outfield, maybe a little 1st maybe a little 3rd. Everyone realizes that if he cannot play those new positions he does the Mariners no good right? In order for him to hit the LHPing he has to play somewhere.

Yea I fully admit that if it ends up he cant play decent enough in the OF then this signing loses most of its value. My guess is the main reason he was signed was the assumption he could play OF. It will be nice to have someone else that can play 2nd so Cano can DH and maybe push Cruz in RF one day a week. Looking at the bats left on the FA market there is really nothing left so its worth a flier.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's if Ackley is able to keep playing .250 ball. i think he probably will, but it's still an if.

Ackley is #1 in my crosshairs this year. I am all for him being pushed for playing time.:suds:

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the huge problem with the Mariners giving non major league outfielders outfield positions and now another dude blocking the potential of seeing if a guy can cut it or not. The teams ceiling is the wild card, IMO there is zero reason to not see if some young guys can step in and play. Think about it, we are really looking at the Mariners going into this season without a single outfielder who will be on the team next season (unless Ackley has a breakout season).

Rickie is not blocking anyone just as WFB was not blocking anyone. If you are referring to Ackley, then yes, they have spent a bunch of time on a youngster to see if he can cut it. They may spend Spring training and a month or two more on him unless someone else proves without a doubt they are better. Romero and Jones have not so far, so I really am not sure who you are referring to that is being held back in the minors.