• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rick Van den Hurk

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, indeed. But I'd be willing to bet big money that he never gets a chance with the Pirates.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
seems like we almost have open cast call next spring.
mcdonald
burnett
wandy (the best since the trade unbelievably)
karstens
cole
locke
mcpherson
vandenhurk
wilson
leroux
taillon
morton when healthy
correia

unless we pick up a really proven starter who is reliable and not a bedard or correia or other hopeful reclamation project, we need to let cole and locke/mcpherson/vandenhurk give it a serious go next spring.

they will get valuable experience and save money for other needs like SS and C.

please dont play barajas anymore. he doesnt seem to be helping our pitching and we need mcK bat in the lineup as much as he can tolerate.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reply to sychmd

I don't believe either Cole or Taillon will be in the mix in the spring. Cole just got hammered in the AAA playoffs and Taillon is still in AA. And then there are the typical roster/control issues. If Cole continues to progress, he has a chance at coming up mid-season. Taillon?..... probably not until 2014.

Morton won't be ready until at least mid-season, and there's a non-zero chance that he won't be tendered a contract.

Seems to be very little chance that they will try to re-sign Correia.

It seems likely that Burnett, McDonald, Rodriguez, and Karstens (if healthy) will take 4 of the rotation spots.

Who might fill the #5 spot?

- What they should do: As you stated, it SHOULD be an open competition between Locke, McPherson, Vandenhurk, Wilson, and Leroux. Unfortunately, I believe they will keep Leroux in the bullpen and will lose Vandenhurk during the off-season. I also believe they think Wilson needs more seasoning..... so, if they went this route, it would come down to Locke vs. McPherson.

- What they will do: I expect NH will try to acquire another starter from outside the organization..... another Correia or Bedard type.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thanks magnumo.
i agree with your assessment as it is what i would predict with our usual MO.

i am just pushing to go out of the box and see if you show you expect something more out of a player, will they step up into that expectation. i think cole and possibly taillon can do that if you tell them now what you expect and support their effort to step up into it.

i used to run adolescent psych units. i always had our staff communicate and set high expectations for our teens (95% were at risk or adjudicated or in foster care or substance abuse) contrary to what parents, our administration, or staff would think these could manage.
but the kids almost always responded in powerful ways and stepped up, at times exceeding the expectations.

it is also a test to see if they have the makeup of a bulldog that can be the alpha dog and leader of our staff for years to come.

this year, mcpherson, locke, and wilson with wandy, mcD, and burnett should get the starts. we dont have to make the playoffs this year, but we do need to get ready so we can get out of the box well next year and not take 2 months to do it.
this will also tell us if we need to get another starter for next year or not.

please, if we get another starter, get quality. 6-7 M for a Bedard/correia isnt worth it next year.