• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Retiring Uniform Numbers?

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question at the bottom is prompted by the minor controversy currently brewing over Jose Tabata's request to wear Roberto Clemente's number 21 for a game.

Let me start by saying, without qualification, that Roberto Clemente is my all-time favorite Pirate, all-time favorite baseball player, and all-time favorite professional athlete.

Nevertheless, I'm bothered by the practice of retiring uniform numbers. It's a great honor, to be sure. However, as time goes on, more and more numbers are being retired, which by definition dilutes the honor. If our country and professional sports persist well into the future, I can foresee a time when no single-digit uniform numbers are available, and three-digit numbers become necessary because so many uniform numbers are retired.

On the other hand, in this era of free agency, perhaps the number of retired uniform numbers won't continue to grow, merely because most elite players switch teams (often more than once) during their careers..... and teams will be less prone to retire their uniform numbers.

At any rate, I'd feel much better if teams retired uniform jerseys, rather than uniform numbers. They could frame actual game jerseys (with numbers and player names) and place them in positions of honor in the ball park..... or hang supersized replicas of jerseys the same way championship pennants are hung now..... all the while leaving the uniform numbers available for current players.

What's your opinion on the practice of retiring uniform numbers?

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bump:

Gonna give this one more try. If no one responds, I'll let it go with the realization that no one but me cares about this.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of in the middle. I really like how the Yankees have almost all of their single digit numbers retired (except #2 of course, but it's as good as gone). Also, I think it's cool for players to where the old numbers. I like it when the numbers are reserved for top players. If Tabata evolves into a superstar (not counting on it, though I think he will be a very solid major leaguer) then it would be really cool to have a Latin #21 patrolling right field for the Buccos.

So I guess if done properly, I like the numbers to be used again. It could go south quickly though. One season of a guy hitting .220 for the Pirates and playing right field wearing #21 might change my opinion.