• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: RG3 likely won't be back with Redskins next season

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard that one. Although Griffin seems like he would be a good fit for Kelly's type of offense.

I respect what Gruden did.
He was able to get Snyder off his RGIII fixation.

By benching RGIII, Gruden also dampens the Luck/RGIII comparison distraction.

Gruden's job is secure if they finish out the season playing well.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard that one. Although Griffin seems like he would be a good fit for Kelly's type of offense.

The only problem with that is rg3 doesn't want to run that type of offense. He and kelly would clash from the get go. Kelly is a my way or the highway kinda guy. Ask djax.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, Griffin isnt ready. Gruden figured that out and has finally convinced the owner and GM of the same. Unless they get an offer they can not refuse, Griffin wont be going any place next year unless Gruden has also come to the conclusion that Griffin will NEVER be ready. In that case, they will take what ever is offered to get him out of Dodge.

But as for right now I expect RG3 to still be on this roster in 2015 and likely set to compete for the starting job in training camp.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, Griffin isnt ready. Gruden figured that out and has finally convinced the owner and GM of the same. Unless they get an offer they can not refuse, Griffin wont be going any place next year unless Gruden has also come to the conclusion that Griffin will NEVER be ready. In that case, they will take what ever is offered to get him out of Dodge.

But as for right now I expect RG3 to still be on this roster in 2015 and likely set to compete for the starting job in training camp.

Exactly!! What has been the mantra for guys at other positions not starting over the slug that is? "He's not ready"....right? Well here we are, with a QB who is clearly not ready for a conventional offensive system, is very gifted, smart, and fundamentally flawed. In the impatiently, what have you done for me lately crowd......the answer seems to be, get rid of him. Allow him, like others to go elsewhere,learn from a professional staff and become a valued member of that organization. Tsk.....tsk.....tsk......the more things change...................

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly!! What has been the mantra for guys at other positions not starting over the slug that is? "He's not ready"....right? Well here we are, with a QB who is clearly not ready for a conventional offensive system, is very gifted, smart, and fundamentally flawed. In the impatiently, what have you done for me lately crowd......the answer seems to be, get rid of him. Allow him, like others to go elsewhere,learn from a professional staff and become a valued member of that organization. Tsk.....tsk.....tsk......the more things change...................

Clearly he's not ready. The question is can he ever be ready? I think we need to re-evalaute many of the positive attributes applied to him. Is he smart? Or has he always been given a pass in school and is just good in front of a microphone? Is he a hard worker? Or does he just log the hours to make it appear so? The only ones that can really answer these questions are the guys he spends every day with. Gruden (and Shanahan before him) knows the truth. If they decide to dump him, its either because he is fundamentally flawed or the time for him to develop into an acceptable NFL QB will be beyond our contract period. In this case, they will most likely try and get what they can this off season and let some other poor sap take the risk. Also, by trading him, you have control where he ends up.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do you see anything on the field for the past 2 years that he has gotten better at ? same problems over and over

now i wouldnt be in any rush to trade him . you lose nothing to see if he grows up over the off season and making him compete for a starting job but if he is a cancer in the locker room you cant keep him

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you see anything on the field for the past 2 years that he has gotten better at ? same problems over and over

now i wouldnt be in any rush to trade him . you lose nothing to see if he grows up over the off season and making him compete for a starting job but if he is a cancer in the locker room you cant keep him

Sadly in almost every visible aspect, he appears to have gotten worse each year. He hasn't won a game in over a year.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's amazing is that Foles for RGIII actually sounds like a bad trade for Philly. Amazing how fast reputations change in the NFL.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually I think that he is exactly the same guy that this team traded for......a talented option QB who does not have the fundamental training to play in a traditional offense. He has not changed one bit, what has is what he's being asked to do. If you'll go back to the time just after the draft you'll find one voice saying that the team shouldn't start him, but let him sit and learn the game. I was called crazy then mostly because the reasoning was that you don't invest that much for a guy that won't start right away. How's that working out?

BTW: it is not up to him to "grow up" in the offseason. There must be a vigorous program setup for him.Designed to get him to master footwork on throws, learn to move in ways that keeps the integrity of the pocket and understand what defenses are trying to do pre-snap/post-snap. I honestly don't think that his maturation level is at question here afterall if the team was winning no one would have an issue with what he says.

It's plain to see now that there is much work to do, but I'm afraid that his only hope here is Jay Gruden who has made it clear that benching him is what's best for his future. Unfortunately since 1999 the team has been nothing more than a patchwork of players from everywher else except here. Time for that to change or you may be right.........he's gone this off-season.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly he's not ready. The question is can he ever be ready? I think we need to re-evalaute many of the positive attributes applied to him. Is he smart? Or has he always been given a pass in school and is just good in front of a microphone? Is he a hard worker? Or does he just log the hours to make it appear so? The only ones that can really answer these questions are the guys he spends every day with. Gruden (and Shanahan before him) knows the truth. If they decide to dump him, its either because he is fundamentally flawed or the time for him to develop into an acceptable NFL QB will be beyond our contract period. In this case, they will most likely try and get what they can this off season and let some other poor sap take the risk. Also, by trading him, you have control where he ends up.

Sadly, it appears that some here do not have as firm a grasp on what by definition Washington football has been since 1999. To be clear, since that time this team has been nothing more than a collection of mercenaries, put together with one goal in mind....... to be in the the proper place at the proper time....fundamentals be damned!!! BTW: being fundamentally unsound is directly related to our lopsided give away/take away ratio over that same time span.

Now in relation to Griffin.......if he's traded in the off season, it won't be because he been judged incapable of learning the game but instead, because Jay Gruden will have lost in his attempt to change a pattern that is by definition Washington football.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mistake was being attracted to the shiny coin. He was an option QB coming out of college. Obviously the Shanahan's saw it and designed an offense that would work for him. Griffin is the one that didn't want to run the ball anymore.

I am sitting here watching the Oregon vs. Oregon State game. One guy is not playing great (Manion) but has some drop back skills. The other is running a spread offense. Griffin ran a similar offense at Baylor. The difference Mariota is moving DBs with his eyes, he is stepping up in the pocket. He is rolling out but keeping his eyes downfield. Griffin did not exhibit those skills when he was in college.

Want to keep him first thing you have consider is finances. He is due $6.7 million next year. Are you okay with that salary as a backup if there is an open competition and he doesn't win? Figuring you won't pickup his optional 5th year at $16 million he then becomes a free agent after next year. Do you think he will want to stay here? If he didn't like Shanahan he probably really doesn't like Gruden right now but knows he can't sink another HC right now. You have to get around all those issues before you start deciding whether he learn the needed skills in 1 year, 2 years .... 4 years.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mistake was being attracted to the shiny coin. He was an option QB coming out of college. Obviously the Shanahan's saw it and designed an offense that would work for him. Griffin is the one that didn't want to run the ball anymore.

I am sitting here watching the Oregon vs. Oregon State game. One guy is not playing great (Manion) but has some drop back skills. The other is running a spread offense. Griffin ran a similar offense at Baylor. The difference Mariota is moving DBs with his eyes, he is stepping up in the pocket. He is rolling out but keeping his eyes downfield. Griffin did not exhibit those skills when he was in college.

Want to keep him first thing you have consider is finances. He is due $6.7 million next year. Are you okay with that salary as a backup if there is an open competition and he doesn't win? Figuring you won't pickup his optional 5th year at $16 million he then becomes a free agent after next year. Do you think he will want to stay here? If he didn't like Shanahan he probably really doesn't like Gruden right now but knows he can't sink another HC right now. You have to get around all those issues before you start deciding whether he learn the needed skills in 1 year, 2 years .... 4 years.

That was exactly my point. It is very realistic that even if we decide to go with RG3 next year, we will lose him to FA after next year. So you do have to ask, can he be of any impact to us before he leaves or do we try and get some value from him via trade and direct our developmental efforts to our other QBs?

And Stymiee, I agree, we have had teams built as a bunch of mercenaries....that also includes RG3. He is the one, after all, that has dictated what offensive scheme he wants to run based on his personal desires not necessarily what is best for the team.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was exactly my point. It is very realistic that even if we decide to go with RG3 next year, we will lose him to FA after next year. So you do have to ask, can he be of any impact to us before he leaves or do we try and get some value from him via trade and direct our developmental efforts to our other QBs?

And Stymiee, I agree, we have had teams built as a bunch of mercenaries....that also includes RG3. He is the one, after all, that has dictated what offensive scheme he wants to run based on his personal desires not necessarily what is best for the team.

reality check. If RG3 wins the starting job next year and he shows any ability to be a competent QB in a traditional offense, we either extend him or franchise him. If he flames out and goes else where and does well, we get a comp pick in 2016. either would be better than the likely 5th to 7th rounder we would get for trading him this coming off season.

the only real reason to trade him at all costs right now is if the coach has decided he cant get anything out of him, or if he becomes a cancer.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reality check. If RG3 wins the starting job next year and he shows any ability to be a competent QB in a traditional offense, we either extend him or franchise him. If he flames out and goes else where and does well, we get a comp pick in 2016. either would be better than the likely 5th to 7th rounder we would get for trading him this coming off season.

the only real reason to trade him at all costs right now is if the coach has decided he cant get anything out of him, or if he becomes a cancer.

I forgot about the comp pick.

Even if he wins the starting job next year, I got to believe he is damaged goods. I see no way that he plays well enough that we will franchise him (based on how he has played these last 2 years) and the benching (with the blessing of his best bud, Danny) all but assures he is gone the first chance he gets.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about the comp pick.

Even if he wins the starting job next year, I got to believe he is damaged goods. I see no way that he plays well enough that we will franchise him (based on how he has played these last 2 years) and the benching (with the blessing of his best bud, Danny) all but assures he is gone the first chance he gets.

MAybe he is gone first chance we get. But I think it would be adding insult to injury. For as much as we gave up, they need to at least TRY to make him into an NFL QB. And until recently Im not so sure any one has tried. Or if they did, he wasn't receptive. And I think he wasn't going to be receptive until he got to the point where he is right now. And lets face it, if we trade him in the off season, we are drafting Jamies Winston and will be twice as fucked in the bargain. So if for no other reason than to NOT make another mistake, Im hoping like hell they DONT deal Griffin this off season.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAybe he is gone first chance we get. But I think it would be adding insult to injury. For as much as we gave up, they need to at least TRY to make him into an NFL QB. And until recently Im not so sure any one has tried. Or if they did, he wasn't receptive. And I think he wasn't going to be receptive until he got to the point where he is right now. And lets face it, if we trade him in the off season, we are drafting Jamies Winston and will be twice as fucked in the bargain. So if for no other reason than to NOT make another mistake, Im hoping like hell they DONT deal Griffin this off season.

I don't really think we will trade him, primarily because we won't get anything for him. As for is he receptive, apparently thats the problem. Gruden became tired of all the baggage that came with RG3. What he would do, what he wouldn't do, even what he needed to work on. So apparently RG3 still hasn't accepted his shortcomings. IF this is true, then it is reasonable to expect that the issues he has will still be around next year. If so, he won't see a year 5 with us.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think we will trade him, primarily because we won't get anything for him. As for is he receptive, apparently thats the problem. Gruden became tired of all the baggage that came with RG3. What he would do, what he wouldn't do, even what he needed to work on. So apparently RG3 still hasn't accepted his shortcomings. IF this is true, then it is reasonable to expect that the issues he has will still be around next year. If so, he won't see a year 5 with us.

Agreed... if Rg3 cant accept coaching and change, he will not see year five. But I dont think the end of year three is the time to make that call since as you and I both agree.... if we deal him now we wont get jack in return. And while many wont accept it, the odds are if we do trade him, unless Colt McCoy fucking kills it over the next fie games, a trade of Griffin means a drafting of a QB early.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... if Rg3 cant accept coaching and change, he will not see year five. But I dont think the end of year three is the time to make that call since as you and I both agree.... if we deal him now we wont get jack in return. And while many wont accept it, the odds are if we do trade him, unless Colt McCoy fucking kills it over the next fie games, a trade of Griffin means a drafting of a QB early.

I see no way we draft a QB early. There just isn't the talent there. Or if there is talent, the head isn't there (can you imagine what Winston will be like with a couple of million in his pocket??). I still think we haven't seen the last of KC. Colt will revert to Colt. He most likely isn't the answer. It will not surprise me if KC gets a shot again next year as he beats out RG3 and Colt in an open competition.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no way we draft a QB early. There just isn't the talent there. Or if there is talent, the head isn't there (can you imagine what Winston will be like with a couple of million in his pocket??). I still think we haven't seen the last of KC. Colt will revert to Colt. He most likely isn't the answer. It will not surprise me if KC gets a shot again next year as he beats out RG3 and Colt in an open competition.

You discount the Snyder factor. Dan wants to win, but he also wants to sell hope. And lets face it, the reason we took Griffin instead of staying put and taking Tannehill (or Cousins in the 2nd round) is because of the hype factor. Come draft time Winstons short comings will be water under the bridge and many will be touting him as a franchise QB in the making. If we deal RG3 Dan will instruct Allen to find the next great hope (hype). And as Mariota wont be there for us ( Much as Luck wasnt an option), Dan will want the next option, Gruden will take what he is given, and Cousins will be a backup again. Because if we draft Winston, there will be no competition for the starting job.