• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reid Boucher & John Merrill Tracker: Boucher 62G, Merrill Both Join Albany

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
REID BOUCHER

HEIGHT: 5' 10"
WEIGHT: 192

SHOOTS: LEFT
BORN: SEP 8, 1993 (AGE 19)
DRAFTED: 4th RD (99TH OVERALL) 2011

Why You Should Be Paying Attention

Boucher, LW for Sarnia Sting in the OHL, is leading the entire OHL in goal scoring with 35 goals in 43 GP. The next closest player has 30G.

On 1/12 he had a 4G game.

Note: Some people want to claim that playing with Galchenyuk, 3rd Overall (2012) is why Boucher is playing so well. People said the same thing with Henrique when he was playing with Taylor Hall. However, Galchenyuk has been gone for a month now for the World Juniors, and Boucher hasn't slowed down AT ALL. As stated above Boucher scored 4G and Galch didn't play, and might very well make the MTL Canadiens in camp starting this week so he'll be gone permanently.

Reid Boucher's Stats: UPDATED

boucherupdatedstats.png

2012-13: 4 for 6 in SO -- Leads OHL with 8 GWG -- 2nd with 12 PPG

As you can clearly see, Boucher has absolutely exploded this season for Sarnia. His 35G include a staggering 12 PPG. Even better is that his +/- is already 32 points better this season and if his pace continues will likely be a +40 point swing on Goal differential. This is a high impact player drawing a lot of the top d-pairings on the opposing team. Oh, and he's also 4 for 6 in the SO.

Comparison to Henrique's Numbers
Note: The two stat lines are for Henrique's 19 y/o and 20 y/o seasons in JR

RBC: GP 47 G 40 A 23 PTS 63 (19 y/o)
HEN: GP 56 G 30 A 33 PTS 63 (19 y/o)
HEN: GP 54 G 38 A 39 PTS 77 (20 y/o)

Hockey's Future Write Up:

Hockey's Future - Reid Boucher

"Talent Analysis

Boucher’s best assets are his deadly accurate shot, lightning-quick release, and his soft hands. Whether it’s in-tight or from outside the circles, Boucher can snipe with the best of them. More quick than fast, Boucher has good vision and knows where to park himself on the ice in order to get quality chances in the offensive zone. He doesn’t let his size keep him from battling for loose pucks and he does not shy away from traffic, however these are two things he needs to do more of to become more involved in the play. His overall defensive game is still a work in progress, but he has plenty of time to polish that area up.

Future

Despite a couple of lengthy scoring droughts, Boucher continued to show the ability to find the net in his first year for Sarnia. The Devils know he can score, and that will always be his calling card. His defensive play will likely never be that great, but it’s still something he needs to become more proficient at. There is boom/bust potential here, but his scoring skills could carry him a long way."

Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hmmmmmm I didn't even hear of him. Why didnt he go to the worlds?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
4th round pick I think? These are the type of players I mentioned in my ahl post before. Just doesnt seem the devils find these hidden gems ( if he turns out)

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No idea why he wasn't mentioned more for the WJC team. He's American so it's not as if he had the stacked Canadian field to compete with.

Potentially could have been that since this was his breakout season, he wasn't on the radar soon enough or maybe coaches thought he was riding Galchenyuk, which obviously isn't the case as he's been impressive with Galch gone.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you guys think he can become the next Petr Sykora to Josefson's Elias? That write up sounds very similar to Sykora

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you guys think he can become the next Petr Sykora to Josefson's Elias? That write up sounds very similar to Sykora

Who knows. Impossible to say at this point. Although if he continues to pull away from the pack in OHL scoring, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't play in the AHL next season for the full year. Same transition as Adam Henrique.

The best thing here is that he's got to be the best pure goal scoring prospect we've had in what? A decade at this point?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2 Goals tonight. Kid is on fire, and still no Galchenyuk.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1G, 1A tonight, both shorthanded.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i saw this kids named mentioned in rumor type deals. this is the type of prospect that is untouchable. put him out there with kovalchuk still in his prime thats a good duo. of course a lot has to happen for this kid to pan out. dont really remember a devil tearing it up this much in the juniors

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw this kids named mentioned in rumor type deals. this is the type of prospect that is untouchable. put him out there with kovalchuk still in his prime thats a good duo. of course a lot has to happen for this kid to pan out. dont really remember a devil tearing it up this much in the juniors

Curious as to where? I generally don't trust any rumors involving the Devils. Lou is so tight lipped about that sort of stuff and I'm pretty sure he has people killed if they leak information.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
on tg's blog...im not sure if the people on there are reporting it as legit but usually its posted as coming from someones twitter or something. is there any legit hockey rumor sites?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Closest thing you can get to a rumor site besides Hockeybuzz, is to follow all the big writers (especially the TSN guys like Dreger and Bob Mac) on twitter. I have a twitter just for this reason, it makes trade deadline day and FA day the greatest thing ever.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In case anyone was wondering, the reason Boucher wasn't in NJD camp was because NHL teams needed to submit a list of players that they would potentially invite to camp from JRs before the season started. The Devils only listed Matteau. Obviously this was before Boucher exploded this season.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this, helps me expand my personal knowledge on the Devils draft picks/youth....

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2G tonight, both ES, 39 and 40 on the year.

Updated stat line for Boucher:

RBC: GP 47 G 40 A 23 PTS 63

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
damn thats pretty impressive hopefully this kid keeps his head together!