• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reheated Rice?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if, as AP has reported, the NFL had already seen the elevator video when they first gave Rice his penalty, and that can be proven, might Rice be un-banned? And having been released by the Ravens, could he sign with any team and serve the second game of his suspension and then play?

Not that teams will necessarily be lining up for his services - but he can also sign cheap.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol..........hurry and you can get Gordon, Welker, Blackmon and Rice! Two tokers, a cheater and a beater.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if, as AP has reported, the NFL had already seen the elevator video when they first gave Rice his penalty, and that can be proven, might Rice be un-banned? And having been released by the Ravens, could he sign with any team and serve the second game of his suspension and then play?

Not that teams will necessarily be lining up for his services - but he can also sign cheap.

he could surely sign with whomever he wants or that wants him. But can you see any scenario where after all this they reinstate him at any point this year? They've already taken such a big hit in the mainstream media, the blundering of the first suspension, coming out admitting he screwed up yet, not fixing it, alhtough at the same time being willing to go back in time and fix drug suspensions, then the video they "claim" to have never seen, then the indefinite suspension which was nothing more than a response to public outcry..this guy isn't seeing the field this year. Reinstating him before this dies down would make the Mike Vick signing in Philly look like Lebron james homecoming in Cleveland

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reinstatement might come from a judge - and apparently the NFLPA hasn't received the required letter from the league yet with the grounds for Rice's indefinite suspension.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, public reaction will be a mite hard on Ray.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell is a bitch. No way should Rice be suspended for more than 6 games

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that the first person to disregard Goodell's new domestic abuse policy was Goodell.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a stab in the dark... Since I have no legal training other than watching Cops and Judge Mathis...

If you're of the opinion that Goodell and the NFL messed this up, it shouldn't change the fact that there was obvious graphic domestic violence. So the original 2-game suspension should stick. (Since he's not on an NFL team at the moment, I would imagine that this might be another point to argue.)

I can see the NFLPA arguing to have the second indefinite suspension be adjusted or abolished. But it still won't change the fact that Rice will be a huge distraction for another NFL team, in much the same way as Michael Vick.

BTW: On episodes of Cops, most police officers will arrest a person for domestic violence even if the abused/victim does not want to press charges. So not sure why it hasn't happened (or if it did happen)? But I don't think Rice's legal problems are over in Atlantic City either.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he was "arrested", technically so was she. . Both were initially charged from what I heard. No idea what happened to her charges, maybe the prosecutor had no wish to pursue it. The only reason Rice isn't facing a legal penalty is, according to the assistant DA in Atlantic City, is that as a first time offender, the intervention program he entered is standard procedure, especially when the victim doesn't wish to press charges. People act like the cops and justice system totally effed this up, yet, again according to this DA, it's exactly the same process everyone else in a similar situation receives.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His legal problems in Atlantic City are essentially over. Rice faced charges and was allowed to enter pre-trial intervention as opposed to going to trial on the charges - for which apparently he could only have gotten probation anyway. The prosecutor already had the video, and wasn't surprised that it was ugly.

“But the fact that this assault was on video makes it no more nor any less ugly than those hundreds of domestic violence situations where similar violence was inflicted on a victim and it’s not captured on videotape. Reality is reality whether it’s captured on videotape or not. And the reality of violence is that it is always ugly."

What is disappointing to me is the confirmation that most people are unable to really picture, in the mind's eye, something that is described to them. I was appalled enough just reading about him knocking her out in the first place. With all the reaction, I thought the video must have shown something especially gruesome. But it was exactly what I expected - what did people think a punch that would knock someone out looked like? Why did they have to see it to get outraged?

But that's how it is.

Goodell, rather than showing leadership, looks like he just joined the hysteria. I'm kinda surprised that it wasn't a quick, quiet meeting, the gist of which would be, "Ray, probably better for everyone if you just take the year off. Announce it yourself, do it on your terms, but take the year off."

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the arrests and charges - her charge was dropped essentially right away, and his was escalated to "aggravated."

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am about to get some hate for this comment, but I am tired of the term Domestic violence... I don't care if the violence is towards a man or a woman, just call it what it is: it is assault and battery... Now, My problem is that the nfl would not have suspended him indefinitely if it was called assault and battery... they would have let the the law take place first and then when he was free from the law he would have been allowed back in to football... The NFL is only making a big issue of this because the victim was a woman... and I think that is total BS... these are alpha males anyone they would have attacked would likely result in a similar conclusion... the fact that the attack was on a woman should not add to the penalty!!!

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TMZ video is a cell phone recording off a monitor. Apparently with better resolution you can see that before she advances on him he spits on her.

If it had been a significantly weaker male lover, Milk, I'm not sure the NFL would have liked that any better. "Domestic violence" avoids any mention of gender. It could be a young man beating up his dad. The reason it matters is because it's assumed there's some level of dependence between the assailant and victim that screws up the victim's normal desire for justice - and there are probably many private unreported incidents for every reported one.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TMZ video is a cell phone recording off a monitor. Apparently with better resolution you can see that before she advances on him he spits on her.

If it had been a significantly weaker male lover, Milk, I'm not sure the NFL would have liked that any better. "Domestic violence" avoids any mention of gender. It could be a young man beating up his dad. The reason it matters is because it's assumed there's some level of dependence between the assailant and victim that screws up the victim's normal desire for justice - and there are probably many private unreported incidents for every reported one.

I understand that domestic violence avoids mention of gender, but it is clear that the NFLs actions are reactionary towards the media... there is just not as much hate towards male on male violence... the black eye to the NFL is much worse due to the male on woman violence... And that's one of the things I have a problem with... I just find it very hypocritical...

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah, not much concept of gender equity in the NFL. No female officials, no male cheerleaders. So they're touchy about treatment of women.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of whether he gets reinstated by a judge, the NFL, or anybody else, there is no team that is going to be willing to take on that public relations nightmare at least for a year. They would alienate their fan base and get completely hammered in the media. Not to mention that it's not like he was coming up a superstar season anyway so why would any team risk that.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An anti-bulling advocate witnesses a major corporation get buillied by the media causing him to be fired.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that it's not like he was coming up a superstar season anyway so why would any team risk that.

There's always the Raiders!

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always the Raiders!

You know it.

I don't disagree with him being suspended indefinitely. But that should have been done at the start. I don't know how that sticks. I fully expected something to come out around or just after 6 games were up. But now that RG is in deep water who knows what will happen. Rice could fight it and be back sooner if anyone would take him. If the NFL had the video which seems likely at this point. You can't change your ruling to appease the lynch mobs. Rice can work toward forgiveness. But at this point I would be more worried to be RG than Ray Rice.

I decided to cut Rice in my keep 6 league. But held onto him in my dynasty league with big rosters. One of my other dynasty leagues he was cut. The other two he was not cut in.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the ravens could cut him for anything, but I wish they timed it better too... I don't blame them for what they decided to do, but I certainly have a problem with the way they did it too... so I do blame the ravens too, not just NFL... But the NFL took this issue to an extra level with their reaction to the ravens dropping him... It was almost like they did not want a mere team to out do them...