• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the numbers they are reportedly offering it's no wonder he is looking to move on. I don't get this at all. Of course he is not a top QB so I get why they don't want to overpay. But, this just in, that's how it goes. And if he walks there is really no hope for this team for the foreseeable future and he knows that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strangest part of all is that the plan appears to be one in which they continue to pay him the going tag rate for this year and next. It's Dan's money and if he wants to continue writing those checks maybe that will become the new normal for NFL QB's. The risk comes with having a recalcitrant player who tires of these single season deals and refuses to sign the tag.

If that is not the plan, then Bruce Allen must know that he's gambling on the good will of Cousins and unnecessarily using cap money from one year to the next. Maybe he's convinced himself and Dan that Kirk will eventually sign for the amount being reportedly offered and he would be utterly wrong with that assumption because the greater benefit for Kirk is in being tagged albeit without predetermined guarantees.

So here's my question for you guys.....Which would you rather have based on no long term contract ever for Kirk.

1. Kirk on the tag this year and losing him next year.

.....................OR.....................

2. Trading him this year for as much as we can get.

(Now watch someone choose #3.. the obvious)

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strangest part of all is that the plan appears to be one in which they continue to pay him the going tag rate for this year and next. It's Dan's money and if he wants to continue writing those checks maybe that will become the new normal for NFL QB's. The risk comes with having a recalcitrant player who tires of these single season deals and refuses to sign the tag.

If that is not the plan, then Bruce Allen must know that he's gambling on the good will of Cousins and unnecessarily using cap money from one year to the next. Maybe he's convinced himself and Dan that Kirk will eventually sign for the amount being reportedly offered and he would be utterly wrong with that assumption because the greater benefit for Kirk is in being tagged albeit without predetermined guarantees.

So here's my question for you guys.....Which would you rather have based on no long term contract ever for Kirk.

If the SKins select a QB at 17 then option #1 will take place. Its still possible that QB is taken at 17 if a LTD with KC cant be reached.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 if they are pretty far off from a long term contract it doesn't make sense to keep him

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SKins select a QB at 17 then option #1 will take place. Its still possible that QB is taken at 17 if a LTD with KC cant be reached.

If we take a QB at 17, I think it means they deal Kirk shortly there after, as in Friday Morning.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 if they are pretty far off from a long term contract it doesn't make sense to keep him

B...bu...but...don't ya think that Bruce will sell keeping him this year in order to keep fans hopes alive that a deal is still imminent just as he's done since 2015?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we take a QB at 17, I think it means they deal Kirk shortly there after, as in Friday Morning.

If they pick a QB at 17 first, then trade him....I promise to personally put the inspection shine on the left or right toe of your "to go up Bruce's ass" Boot.:pound:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I chose No. 3 - tag this year and next year.

I have said this several times. The 1 year deal might be the new norm. Some say they have treated him poorly, I say "sure, to the tune of $44 million." He said the other day it was time to give up the conversion and was sharing pics from the Aston Martin dealer. That doesn't sound like poor treatment. Even if they transition tag him next year his three year total is $72 million or two number one picks if he leaves.

You can always draft a Peterman in round 3 or later and let him learn for the next two years.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transition tag is just a dumb idea because we will lose out on him and gain just a bullshit 3rd rounder

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bruce cannot manage to extend Kirk long term before the draft, trade him to the Niners for their 2nd pick and move on. Draft Trubisky and another impact player with #17. If the Niners don't bite, ask the Browns about Kirk for #12 or the combination of #33 & #52 would work. If neither team bites, we keep Kirk this year and possibly tag him again next year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we get a 3rd rounder out of an original 4th rounder and that is BS ? fact is i dont buy the numbers the press is reporting because they dont make sense . KC will be under center in 2017

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we get a 3rd rounder out of an original 4th rounder and that is BS ? fact is i dont buy the numbers the press is reporting because they dont make sense . KC will be under center in 2017

Exactly. The article doesn't mention when this offer was made. There is no way the Skins are offering only 20 per season.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The article doesn't mention when this offer was made. There is no way the Skins are offering only 20 per season.

Perhaps it is not true, but why would anything that those two clowns are doing surprise you? There is also no way a team should tag a effective, winning QB two seasons in a row & guarantee him $45M & play him under the tag the whole time, but that could happen. Never say "no way" with this organization.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those being the only options available. I'd go with #2, but, fuck those are both miserable choices.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce will only sign Kirk LT if everything else falls through. The 'skins brass is TRYING to get rid of him.
I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Cousins for Osweiler. They SUCK at deals, trades, drafting, etc.
They know they messed up not signing Kirk to a LTD, so why do a favor and trade him to your archenemy Shanahan?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce will only sign Kirk LT if everything else falls through. The 'skins brass is TRYING to get rid of him.
I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Cousins for Osweiler. They SUCK at deals, trades, drafting, etc.
They know they messed up not signing Kirk to a LTD, so why do a favor and trade him to your archenemy Shanahan?

I don't want bumsweiler anywhere near this team

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im on team SUDFIELD HE WIll SURPRISE ALL BOOK it

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow 20mill is not enough for kirk lol wtf whatever kirk-a-poop

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him and get what you can for him this year. He is gone. He doesn't want to be here and apparently Dan and Bruce don't want him here, either. My bet is that he is traded on draft day or just before. The real question is what do we do with the pics we get? I am really not impressed with any of the touted QBs coming out this year. I see a bunch of huge potential busts. My guess is we play the year out with Colt under center, until he is knocked senseless. Then we play Subfield, pretty much guaranteeing us our own high first round pick next year.