• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Reds @ Pirates

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations guys for real, you deserve every bit of it. Not even mad at this loss as a Reds fan because I saw it coming all the way with the way this team played the last couple weeks of the season.

Congratulations, Pirates fans. You deserved it. Hope you can keep it up vs the Cards.

Nice season, Reds fans. You were cold and we were hot and just the right time for us and the wrong time for you.

Honestly, any other manager, and you've probably got one of the best teams in baseball. Dusty's holding you back.

In any case, we'll try to take care of the Cards for you guys.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah thanks Red fans! Lets hope we can take the cards now.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't be happier for any team in MLB other than mine to be in the playoffs. I'm a Pirates fan for the rest of the season. This is going to be exciting.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I keep asking myself in a non save situation would it not be better to give Grilli another couple days of rest? He only threw 7 pitches so.. Now he gets a day off and has to be ready to go again on Thursday.

Really Glad Melancon did not get used ...I think the guy has a tired arm.. Or he did when Grilli came back off the DL...resting 2 more days can only help him in my opinion.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So happy this was not a one and done season for the Bucs..

The home fans got a special treat in the extra home game..

Now they get to have a regular play off series as if they had won the division.

Go Bucs Go

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations, Pirates fans. You deserved it. Hope you can keep it up vs the Cards.

Thanks man and props to the Reds for making it this far, was a very competitive division and making it this far is something to be proud of in itself.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep asking myself in a non save situation would it not be better to give Grilli another couple days of rest? He only threw 7 pitches so.. Now he gets a day off and has to be ready to go again on Thursday.

Really Glad Melancon did not get used ...I think the guy has a tired arm.. Or he did when Grilli came back off the DL...resting 2 more days can only help him in my opinion.

I wondered the same thing. Best to err on the side of caution and bring in the lights-out man I guess?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't be happier for any team in MLB other than mine to be in the playoffs. I'm a Pirates fan for the rest of the season. This is going to be exciting.

Thanks a lot, been a long time coming as a Pirates fan, hope we can get past the Cards but I'm just excited to see them make it this far.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy this was not a one and done season for the Bucs..

The home fans got a special treat in the extra home game..

Now they get to have a regular play off series as if they had won the division.

Go Bucs Go

I would like to be partying in Pittsburgh tonight. I hope the local breweries are up to the task.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No words for the feelings right now. Can't believe a real playoff series in Pittsburgh!

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I wish I was in Pitt tonight... It would be amazing there... I bet it is going crazy right now.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly say that this ranks right up there for one of the greatest sports days of my life. Had chills and definitely got choked up. Man... What a feeling. NOW I feel like we made the playoffs.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats, Pirates fans, your Buccos certainly earned the opportunity. Now go kick some Cardinal ass

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got in from Station Square with the fam. It is a crazy night downtown. What a surreal experience this is. I still can't believe they're actually in the post-season. And now we have an honest to goodness series to watch :dance:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats:

- This is the second time the Pirates have hit at least three homers in a postseason home game.The other was in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series against the Yankees, when they won on Bill Mazeroski's walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth

- Liriano threw 45 sliders among his 90 pitches, the highest rate of use for that pitch that he's had in any start this season. The pitch netted him 14 outs and yielded only one baserunner.

- Martin is the seventh player (first since Johnny Damon for the 2004 Boston Red Sox) and second catcher (first since Yogi Berra in the 1956 World Series) with two homers in a winner-take-all postseason game. He is also the first catcher to homer in postseason play for three different teams, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He'd previously done so for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Yankees.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what are thoughts on pitching rotation

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

been watching the game over and over :P

I get fox sports Ohio here, after the game( in April/May) that one of our long gone relievers Zagurski? hit Phillips in the knee in the interviews after the game BP said something like:

BP ' I want to protect my body, you know we going for the playoffs, I dont know where the Pirates are going' with a shit eating grin, well BP I guess you know now, no offense to reds fans not named ryanbella

Clayton you can hangout with us as long as you promise not to sweep us :D

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The city of Pittsburgh expressed the heritage of steel tonight.
I'm very proud of the organization for finally shaking this monkey off their back but I think that there was something more profound than talent on display. Pirates fans have suffered for 2 decades but we were not shaped by those decades as some other fanbases have been. Partly because we were able to take pride in the Pens and the Steelers, but also partly because we have our own rich history of greatness. We Pirates fans are not a bunch of perennial also-rans. We are a proud franchise. We've fallen on hard times lately but we still remember how to be a winner.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The city of Pittsburgh expressed the heritage of steel tonight.
I'm very proud of the organization for finally shaking this monkey off their back but I think that there was something more profound than talent on display. Pirates fans have suffered for 2 decades but we were not shaped by those decades as some other fanbases have been. Partly because we were able to take pride in the Pens and the Steelers, but also partly because we have our own rich history of greatness. We Pirates fans are not a bunch of perennial also-rans. We are a proud franchise. We've fallen on hard times lately but we still remember how to be a winner.

Everyone except gray-shirt guy, at least. :rolleyes: