• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recruiting Big Board - Defense (January Edition)

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now Kevin Williams is bouncing too?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hank Hughes might be cancer.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Coach Hughes doesn't get his head out of his ass we're heading for a desaster beyond recovery on the DL, more than its been since #93 left

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what in the loony toons are you guys talking about? Our DL was our best unit by the end of the year and they were playing with no talent.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have NINE underclassmen on the D line. We're fine if we can get through this year, which HS recruits wouldn't help us with anyways.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been trying to figure that out today. i saw something on twitter, but like a minute after i saw it, it was taken down, so i was real confused by that.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 out of 9 at DT are on ships, 2 of the nine have played in a game, both of those 2 players have been injured their entire college career and one may not be back next year. I'm not sharing the optimism as you guys are

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 out of 9 at DT are on ships, 2 of the nine have played in a game, both of those 2 players have been injured their entire college career and one may not be back next year. I'm not sharing the optimism as you guys are
4 of the 6 on scholarship are sophs or younger. That wouldn't be rectified by recruiting HS this year anyways, and it is not easy to find juco interior D linemen. We will be in a pinch, but can make do. Also there have been rumblings of one or more OGs making a switch.

Edit: And actually, 3 of the players have played in a game. Stoltenberg got some snaps this season. So half of our scholarship guys have "game experience".

Last edited:

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, i remember Banker constantly saying Stoltenberg should have gotten more reps. i always thought he looked good when he was in there. or at least he never stood out as getting blown up when he was.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What people are forgetting is that recruiting is rarely about the next season but the season after and the season after that. Defensive Tackle recruiting is paramount. We will have only 4 scholarship DTs for 2017 that won't be True Freshmen if we don't take any in this class.... is that a recipe for success? If we don't get any DTs this class we most definitely need at least one, maybe two, JUCO DTs next class to bridge the gap.

At a position where it's more beneficial to redshirt (see: Kevin Maurice... would be nice to have him another year right? And he did nothing the year he didn't redshirt) it's important to think at least two, if not three, years ahead. Doesn't seem like we're doing that here.

Also, Stoltenberg is far from a sure deal, he screwed up his knee and will miss the spring, no telling how well he comes back from that. That's why the best of the best take full defensive line classes every single year. It's not just about hitting the right numbers, it's keeping those numbers up with better and better players. You never settle for the status quo.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 of the 6 on scholarship are sophs or younger. That wouldn't be rectified by recruiting HS this year anyways, and it is not easy to find juco interior D linemen. We will be in a pinch, but can make do. Also there have been rumblings of one or more OGs making a switch.

Edit: And actually, 3 of the players have played in a game. Stoltenberg got some snaps this season. So half of our scholarship guys have "game experience".
I'm not saying we're at critical mass just yet, not taking at least one HS T in this cycle, which looks more like the case approaching the deadline, just might get us to that point in 17 or 18. I'm not even sure if one or both of the twins or Stolly aren't going to end up at DE. I still have the shits thinking about Merideth playing underweight inside.

I don't recall the last season we went through without one or more of the 1st or 2nd string tackles out for the majority of the year with injury, it's a tough position I get that. Idr if it was Banks or MR that said the number was 15 for DL and were around that now, counting the walk-ons imo shouldn't be in the math part. It's been an issue for the last 5 years but my point is that is appears Hugh's is letting the side down content with continuing with the trend, I've seen nothing yet per recruiting that shows that's not the case

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

rumblings about him hanging up the cleats and not taking advantage of the 6th year, nothing official yet.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Stoltenberg is far from a sure deal, he screwed up his knee and will miss the spring, no telling how well he comes back from that.
:doh: i completely forgot that.