• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recruiting Big Board - Defense (January Edition)

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With signing day less than a month away Nebraska is looking to fill its class with a variety of options. Currently Nebraska is at 15 commitments in this class (check them out: here) leaving room for 7-10 more prospects in this class.

What follows is the defensive recruiting Big Board (from what I can tell)

I think we take at least 3 and up to 5 on this list.

Defensive Line

Tramal Ivy - The JUCO defender recently decommitted from Oklahoma State and garnered an offer from Nebraska. He's a pure pass rushing DE, something Nebraska was missing this year rather obviously. Ivy tweeted yesterday that Nebraska just might be the place for him. I would expect him to commit on his visit, whenever that may be, in January.

Mykelle McDaniel - Nebraska has long recruited McDaniel and are currently in his top three... however, South Carolina is on top and the most likely to garner his commitment especially with the hire of Will Muschamp. Nebraska will still likely try to convince him to visit but they won't break themselves over it.

Amir Watts - The lone DT target left on the board for Nebraska (currently), Nebraska is in a good place with Watts. He has all of his official visits figured out and Nebraska will get the last shot on the last weekend of January. Watts flashed athleticism at the Semper Fi bowl and also said that he will be committing on Signing Day.

Line-Backer

Jaleel Laguins - Nebraska has LONG been in on Jaleel Laguins and the firing of Mark Richt could have opened the door just a bit, however the hiring of Kirby Smart might have thrown a wrench in there as well. Laguins has gone completely pretty quiet since the firing of Richt and Nebraska will definitely kick the tires there but he likely stays committed to UGA.

Cameron Goode - Goode seemed to be a replacement for losing Reese but Nebraska hasn't gone to see the LBer yet and may not after the period. The emergence of Weber and the other freshmem LBers this season could meen that Simmons and Alexander are the only LBers taken in this class.

Secondary

Tony Butler - The 3-Star DB has said that Nebraska is his current leader and was trying to get Reese to commit to Nebraska prior to his choosing of Florida. Butler is also close with Lamar Jackson (see below) and Desmond Fitzpatrick (see offensive board). Nebraska will likely be out to see Butler shortly after the dead period and try to get him to get the ball rolling with a commitment soon. He visits ASU this weekend, so unless they radically change his mind he seems to lean N.

Lamar Jackson - The 4-Star athlete is being recruited as a CB by Nebraska and that's what he wants to play. USC was rumored to be his leader but given the recent coaching change and the fact that SC has yet to name a DC Nebraska seems to be in good shape here. Jackson named Nebraska his leader at the Under-Armour game and is looking to make a decision before signing day. Nebraska will be fighting with UCLA and USC who win in proximity but the relationships Jackson has built up with Nebraska's coaches and players could go a long way. If Nebraska can get on the parents' good side he could choose them shortly after the in-home period.

K.J. Sails - Sails was a Wisconsin lean but Aranda leaving for LSU may have changed things. Sails is a difficult read but seemed excited about Nebraska's recent scholarship offer. Nebraska is trying to cover their bases here, they like Butler better than Sails but don't want to be left high and dry should either Butler or Lamar Jackson look elsewhere.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much of an impact it has on Butler, but ASU just lost recruiting coordinator Chip Long to Memphis yesterday.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks to Footballnut for doing this.

Gives me something to chew on for a month or so.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bray and/or Stewart like a young man as a football player, good enough for me. Same goes for Keith Williams on offense. Matter of fact, Nebraska should give all of those coaches a $100,000 raise each to show they appreciate them, I might even offer them more.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Jackson butler and daucet

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska fails on the DL trail yet again... Amir Watts just changed his visit from Nebraska to Iowa State for the last weekend in January.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska fails on the DL trail yet again... Amir Watts just changed his visit from Nebraska to Iowa State for the last weekend in January.
There's gotta be something strange going on here...I can't think of an area where ISU or any other school on his list beats us. Not like he's going somewhere else because our depth chart is insurmountable. I'll be interested to see if anyone is able to get out of him what the situation is.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's gotta be something strange going on here...I can't think of an area where ISU or any other school on his list beats us. Not like he's going somewhere else because our depth chart is insurmountable. I'll be interested to see if anyone is able to get out of him what the situation is.

Could be that our DL coach isn't a good recruiter

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be that our DL coach isn't a good recruiter
From this article:
Banker said Nebraska doesn't want to overextend itself too much on defensive line scholarships, which Riley and Banker like to keep around 15. "I'd like to stay within the budget," Banker said. "Do we need more (pass rushers)? Yeah. We'll see."

Nebraska has 14 scholarship defensive linemen returning if Vincent Valentine doesn't opt for the NFL and no other players transfer. And Banker would just as soon better develop the talent on hand.

So we have 13 returning, with Stille committing. Earlier in the article, he talks about the importance of a pass rusher (Hopefully Ivy). That makes 15.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From this article:

So we have 13 returning, with Stille committing. Earlier in the article, he talks about the importance of a pass rusher (Hopefully Ivy). That makes 15.

Kevin Williams may not be coming back either... that would drop it back down to 14... I respectfully disagree with Bankers stance on making sure you keep the numbers. You sign 4 defensive linemen every year and then let the chips fall where they may that's what all the big time programs do... if kids transfer out they transfer out. The way he's talking is the bare minimum and I don't like it.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Williams may not be coming back either... that would drop it back down to 14... I respectfully disagree with Bankers stance on making sure you keep the numbers. You sign 4 defensive linemen every year and then let the chips fall where they may that's what all the big time programs do... if kids transfer out they transfer out. The way he's talking is the bare minimum and I don't like it.
I'd tend to agree with you, especially on the DL where so many prospects simply don't work out. I was just pointing out that this may be their strategy and they told Watts we didn't have room (or they have room, but just don't think he's good enough to take them outside of their numbers). Makes more sense than him suddenly taking visits to ISU, IU, and Pitt over NU when we were originally supposed to be his last stop before signing day.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You win football games in the trenches. Nebraska should always take 4 D-Linemen and 4 O-Linemen every year just my 2 cents.

But hey Riley and Banker have there system and its about playing .500 level football.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You win football games in the trenches. Nebraska should always take 4 D-Linemen and 4 O-Linemen every year just my 2 cents.

But hey Riley and Banker have there system and its about playing .500 level football.
Taking guys for the sake of taking guys is moronic. That's how we end up with a bunch of dead weight, like we have on our roster now.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bahahahahaha. We lost a recruit to Iowa state????

I really just want a staff compiled a former Husker football greats and see what happens

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking guys for the sake of taking guys is moronic. That's how we end up with a bunch of dead weight, like we have on our roster now.

it's not about taking guys just to take guys, it's about always taking the best guys you can and not limiting yourself and letting the chips fall where they may. Kids aren't going to stick around if they are 4th on the depth chart for two years... they transfer, it makes room. Sounds insensitive but it's how the big boys play.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not about taking guys just to take guys, it's about always taking the best guys you can and not limiting yourself and letting the chips fall where they may. Kids aren't going to stick around if they are 4th on the depth chart for two years... they transfer, it makes room. Sounds insensitive but it's how the big boys play.
But if they don't think a guy has a shot (which, if you look at Watts' offer list, there are MANY schools that seem to think that...his best offer is probably Minnesota), it's not worth the wasted scholarship when we have many areas of need to address.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if they don't think a guy has a shot (which, if you look at Watts' offer list, there are MANY schools that seem to think that...his best offer is probably Minnesota), it's not worth the wasted scholarship when we have many areas of need to address.

Narduzzi wants him at Pitt... he seems to know a thing or two about DL. Miami came in a bit late with an offer... Mark Richt knows a thing or two about DL. So know, I don't think he's a bad get. A lot like Aaron Curry IMO who ended up being a solid player and then transferred and is now a solid player for TCU.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We took Alex Davis from Georgia Southern last year and he's supposedly one of our best pass rushing DEs coming into 2016...

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Narduzzi wants him at Pitt... he seems to know a thing or two about DL. Miami came in a bit late with an offer... Mark Richt knows a thing or two about DL. So know, I don't think he's a bad get. A lot like Aaron Curry IMO who ended up being a solid player and then transferred and is now a solid player for TCU.
When did Miami offer? Not listed on Rivals. And I find that pretty unlikely, since the recruiting services have said that they were his dream school, yet he said he's only considering those schools he's visiting.

We took Alex Davis from Georgia Southern last year and he's supposedly one of our best pass rushing DEs coming into 2016...
I'm not saying we will never find anyone from a lesser school. I'm saying we didn't want THIS player.