• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it appears so. Has anyone contacted Matt to see how he is taking this news that we aren't going to the SEC? Imagine how Fooz is taking this

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks for football.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is terrible for VT football. Unless the league realigns so we can drop BC and Duke as annual opponents and pickup FSU and Clemson, the thrill is gone from Lane Stadium. My SEC dream may have ended today.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This obviously means they are going to lose the UMD buyout case.

I've always thought a settlement was likely. There's a cost when someone leaves, although the 50 million is not that cost. Louisville by itself is a 1:1 replacement with Maryland, but I'm sure the ACC still has legitmate claim to expenses from Maryland's departure. I think the GOR might make that settlement less, just to get it over with. Both parties are in a better position now.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing this to lock teams in. When Maryland and the ACC settle on a 15mil buyout it would have set the table for a mass exodus. Now it won't. I don't really like this at all.

Don't get me wrong, we have region to recruit like the SEC and sell TV rights like the B1G with the entire east coast but we don't have the horses or the premiere programs.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the GOR is necessarily legally binding yet, fwiw.

Just doesn't make sense why so many schools would agree to make hundreds of millions less

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to David Teel it's effective immediately. Even if it weren't if a school wanted to leave they'd have bolted before signing the GOR.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This obviously means they are going to lose the UMD buyout case.

Define "lose".

This was ALWAYS going to be a settlement, and it was always going to be somewhere between where the two parties are claiming it should be.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#RIPVT2SEC

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting but I disagree with a lot of that, honestly.

They make the assertion that BC floundered when going to the ACC when in fact they took off, even getting top 5 rankings and CG births.

No chance the B1G ever takes Mizzou when Nebraska was on the table. The B1G also would never expand to Storrs.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must have been talking about BC basketball there. But I agree, there is no way the B1G takes Missouri over Nebraska. That didn't make any sense to me either.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must have been talking about BC basketball there. But I agree, there is no way the B1G takes Missouri over Nebraska. That didn't make any sense to me either.

Nebraska adds quality football, but that is about it....not much of a TV market brought in with the Cornhuskers. The market for the entire state of Nebraska is the same size as the market in Charlotte. The B1G should have grabbed Mizzou at the same time.

And the ACC should have added Cuse instead of BC 10 years ago.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
An interesting exercise. Ironically, probably the least interesting thing about that is WRT Syracuse. The writer basically says their program probably wouldn't take a much different path.

I don't see Mizzou replacing Nebraska just on its face. The SEC/Big 12 expansion could get interesting, whether VT is involved or not. The BCS games would be quite different too.

I think the ACC/Big East dynamic could complicate everything though. Without Virginia Tech, do all members automatically stay together in the ACC? Perhaps the ACC expands again before TAMU or ACC members leave, and everything is pretty much the same. Tech could have just floundered without the ACC boost and be back to square one though. Perhaps Virginia Tech excels in the Big East, helps move the conference away from the basketball schools, adds the strong CUSA schools and builds an alternate conference. Maybe that's what gives the leverage certain unhappy ACC football schools needed to leave. Would the alternate conference excel and expand with ACC teams? Would the Big 12/SEC/B1G expand any differently? What does Notre Dame do then? An interesting exercise indeed.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska adds quality football, but that is about it....not much of a TV market brought in with the Cornhuskers. The market for the entire state of Nebraska is the same size as the market in Charlotte. The B1G should have grabbed Mizzou at the same time.

Maybe the B1G should have grabbed Mizzou, but they had that option and chose Nebraska instead. I don't see them choosing differently there just because the ACC was composed differently. Unless you're saying they should have grabbed them both? But they were trying to get to an even number, so grabbing them both wouldn't work unless they also pulled in someone else. Making the move to 14 that early would have taken some seriously good foresight.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the B1G should have grabbed Mizzou, but they had that option and chose Nebraska instead. I don't see them choosing differently there just because the ACC was composed differently. Unless you're saying they should have grabbed them both? But they were trying to get to an even number, so grabbing them both wouldn't work unless they also pulled in someone else. Making the move to 14 that early would have taken some seriously good foresight.

The SEC has no exit fee or grant of rights, so I could easily see Mizzou switching to the B1G if things start moving again. The B1G would likely grab Kansas and another Big12 school to get to 16. Then the SEC and PAC-12 would fight over the remaining Big12 schools. WVU would be forced to move back to the AAC and become pals with ECU and UConn.
:suds:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU to SEC? After all, they don't care about academics. :)

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WVU to SEC? After all, they don't care about academics. :)

The SEC had their chance in 2011 and said no thanks. I guess if they needed another team and none of their other targets were available they'd be interested but WVU wouldn't be the first choice.