• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers hope to revive offense at home vs A's 8/15-8/17

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got to Detwiler two nights ago for 5 runs and they chased Manaea tonight and got 5 ER on him.
They struggled against Detwiler except for one inning. Other than the Beltre grand slam, they didn't do much at all against him. And they didn't really get to Manaea until the 6th inning, and 2 of his 5 ER were given up by the reliever allowing a bases-clearing double.

But even if you count those two in addition to Sanchez, you're nitpicking and not focusing on my main point which is backed up by stats. The Rangers have had trouble putting up runs against starting pitchers since the beginning of July.

Since July 1, a total of 42 starting pitchers have a 3.57 ERA against the Rangers. That includes all of the many spares we faced over that span.

Since July 1, relief pitchers have a 5.28 ERA against the Rangers.

3.57 is way better than league average for a starter, and 5.28 is far worse than league average for a reliever.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They struggled against Detwiler except for one inning. Other than the Beltre grand slam, they didn't do much at all against him. And they didn't really get to Manaea until the 6th inning, and 2 of his 5 ER were given up by the reliever allowing a bases-clearing double.

But even if you count those two in addition to Sanchez, you're nitpicking and not focusing on my main point which is backed up by stats. The Rangers have had trouble putting up runs against starting pitchers since the beginning of July.

Since July 1, a total of 42 starting pitchers have a 3.57 ERA against the Rangers. That includes all of the many spares we faced over that span.

3.57 is way better than league average for a starter, and 5.28 is far worse than league average for a reliever.

We're winning games and I don't care how. These close games may pay dividends in October.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what league average is for starters ERA vs other offenses, so I don't know if that is bad.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, not the main point of my post.

I have also been disappointed in how we have hit SP in the first 4 innings the last couple months and have mentioned it multiple times during games in the game thread. Hopefully that changes soon, but as Romeo pointed out, we are winning games lately despite that, though i hope results improve in early innings. Just keep winning and increasing the gap in the division and the rest should work itself out

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're winning games and I don't care how. These close games may pay dividends in October.
I wasn't saying it really mattered how we win. I was just pointing out that we're worse against starters than the rest of the league, but much better than the rest against relievers. That's all.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you even find out how the rest of the the league does vs starters? I don't even know how you found out the starters ERA vs us. Is that under splits? I would like to see some crazy broken down splits, but often don't know where to find them.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you even find out how the rest of the the league does vs starters? I don't even know how you found out the starters ERA vs us. Is that under splits? I would like to see some crazy broken down splits, but often don't know where to find them.
Yep, under splits on just about any good MLB stats site. Some sites use "situational" as sort of a catch-all tag, so look there too.

Although for the stats I listed above, I had to do a few quick separate calculations on my own (adding in individual totals from the few July games before the ASB) since I was using a very specific time frame, and most sites just list pre- and post-ASB as their splits.

When you consider that for the entire season the league average reliever ERA is in the mid 3's and we've been lighting up relievers for over a 5 ERA, that's pretty impressive how good our offense has been in the last few innings of games.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, under splits on just about any good MLB stats site. Some sites use "situational" as sort of a catch-all tag, so look there too.

Although for the stats I listed above, I had to do a few quick separate calculations on my own (adding in individual totals from the few July games before the ASB) since I was using a very specific time frame, and most sites just list pre- and post-ASB as their splits.

When you consider that for the entire season the league average reliever ERA is in the mid 3's and we've been lighting up relievers for over a 5 ERA, that's pretty impressive how good our offense has been in the last few innings of games.

Im happy to be good late, but would like to be above league avg early as well.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would love if they put up 6 every first couple of innings, but in the end if they keep pulling it off late that's fine for now. I hope that with more time they just gel better and it comes more naturally.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love if they put up 6 every first couple of innings, but in the end if they keep pulling it off late that's fine for now. I hope that with more time they just gel better and it comes more naturally.

Maybe they all just press early? Just win baby!

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good day for the Rangers. Gain half a game on both the Astros and the Mariners.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A double and another HR for Gallo tonight.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they all just press early? Just win baby!
Well we can all see that Colorado's BP is awful. And it is true that we have struggled in most games early. But it is a 9 inning game and just glad we have been winning lately. Just using your post Murph to respond so this is not aimed at you.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, not the main point of my post.

Ok, your point is the Rangers don't do great against starters and do really good against relievers.

Last night there was a NL game that saw the #2 and #5 lowest ERA starters face off. Final score? 10-7.

MY point is that there is no bonus for a pretty win. Ugly wins count the same. And right now the Rangers are leading the pack in the AL. I'm OK with that.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, your point is the Rangers don't do great against starters and do really good against relievers.

Last night there was a NL game that saw the #2 and #5 lowest ERA starters face off. Final score? 10-7.

MY point is that there is no bonus for a pretty win. Ugly wins count the same. And right now the Rangers are leading the pack in the AL. I'm OK with that.
Ugly wins do count the same, but sometimes they are harbingers of worse things to come.