• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers at Angels 6/20-6/22

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had all of Yu I could watch last night without going ballistic. So distance was the better part of verbal valor.

But did want to chime in regarding the lack of effort to sign Morales.

First, if you're going to offer him an insulting offer, then why do anything? Second, we had the money via insurance to sign him for this year, and then see what happens. Third, I said before he went to the Twins that by us not making an effort to improve would be a very negative sign to both the team and our fan base.

No, I don't think he was the savior of this season. But he would have given us some offensive help, while giving us fans something to hang our hat on; at least a little.

And, if he turned out alright - would have been a nice trade chip to dangle at the deadline. (if the Rangers were indeed out of it at that time).

That said, he isnt exactly setting the place on fire so far... .216/.273/.275/.547 with 5 RBI in 55 PA's.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke, Chi Chi and Asher (and Rua & Gallo) are all in Double A.

That said, don't believe any of them are on the 40 man yet. Luke will be for sure (to protect him against the rule 5 draft)....so no need to add the others to it for "tryouts". IMO

How about after the trade deadline? Like if we sell off guys that aren't in our long term plans but could bring us something back (Rios, Sardinas, and as much as I hate to say it our BP guys like Soria or Cotts). If we get young guys back, could have room for call ups wouldn't we?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't exactly stunt anyone but this was on SI this morning:

For the time being, at this very moment, the urgency isn't yet there for the trading, but that will change. So ignore the rhetoric. Everybody dances the "don't think there's much out there" dance until closer to that July 31 deadline. And then you don't want to be left holding nothing at the end. So names will fly. And trade scenarios will fly. We're told by our major league sources that the Phillies, Marlins, Cubs, Blue Jays, and Rangers have been the most aggressive in terms of scouting other teams' farm systems and parent teams. It seems that needs for high-end pitching could be easier to fill than for high-end hitting. With David Price (Rays), Jeff Samardzija (Cubs), Jason Hammel (Cubs), and Cole Hamels (Phillies) out there, you can bet there will be activity on pitchers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really was not surprised by the outcome of this series. To be honest the Angels are a very mediocre team. We are just decimated because of injuries and it is a legitimate excuse. I was surprised by how well Martinez pitched. I also saw that Ross threw 4 innings of 1 hit ball at RR. I like Luke Jackson a lot but I am not sure he is ready but a September call up is worth it. I would like to see Baker instead of Saunders just to see if there is anything there. Saunders is definitely not in our future. I also do not want to get rid of Rios because I am not crazy about the alternatives. And I think he is a reasonable price. Plus I want Soria for next year. Other than that go to town on all of our pitching.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about after the trade deadline? Like if we sell off guys that aren't in our long term plans but could bring us something back (Rios, Sardinas, and as much as I hate to say it our BP guys like Soria or Cotts). If we get young guys back, could have room for call ups wouldn't we?

Depends on if said return is on the opposing teams 40 man or not. Rangers sit at 39 right now...I believe.
Have to also keep in mind of the guys coming back this year & next that are currently on the 60 day DL.

Here's the list of people the Rangers CURRENTLY have to make room for...

Engel Beltre - 60-day DL
Jurickson Profar - 60-day DL
Prince Fielder - 60-day DL
Geovany Soto - 60-day DL
Joseph Ortiz - 60-day DL
Martin Perez - 60-day DL
Derek Holland - 60-day DL
Pedro Figueroa - 60-day DL

Rule 5 eligible after 2014 year
Luke Jackson
Jorge Alfaro
Ryan Rua
Jerad Elckhoff
Alexander Claudio
Cody Buckel?
Hanser Alberto?
Chris Garia?

To list a few. (Full list here - Texas Rangers Rule 5 Draft Eligibility)

So at least 16 spots total...from my viewpoint.

and that's not including this guy... if he comes back.
Matt Harrison - 60-day DL

Now, looking at the current roster.... I see 10-11 guys that are candidates for walking papers.....

16 > 11.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on if said return is on the opposing teams 40 man or not. Rangers sit at 39 right now...I believe.
Have to also keep in mind of the guys coming back this year & next that are currently on the 60 day DL.

Here's the list of people the Rangers CURRENTLY have to make room for...

Engel Beltre - 60-day DL
Jurickson Profar - 60-day DL
Prince Fielder - 60-day DL
Geovany Soto - 60-day DL
Joseph Ortiz - 60-day DL
Martin Perez - 60-day DL
Derek Holland - 60-day DL
Pedro Figueroa - 60-day DL

Rule 5 eligible after 2014 year
Luke Jackson
Jorge Alfaro
Ryan Rua
Jerad Elckhoff
Alexander Claudio
Cody Buckel?
Hanser Alberto?
Chris Garia?

To list a few. (Full list here - Texas Rangers Rule 5 Draft Eligibility)

So at least 16 spots total...from my viewpoint.

and that's not including this guy... if he comes back.
Matt Harrison - 60-day DL

Now, looking at the current roster.... I see 10-11 guys that are candidates for walking papers.....

16 > 11.

Good work sir, and appreciated.

It seems we've really got a lot of decisions to make before the 2015 campaign even begins.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Xx. Of the Rule 5 guys I want to keep it would definitely be Jackson, Alfaro and Claudio. Rua is on the fence. But Buckel can go. Garia I am not sure about. He must have speed as he has 9 triples and 25 SB this year but other than that don't know too much about him.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the guys on the long term DL, Beltre is the one who IMO has to come back and show something this season, or else I cut and move on.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be a terrible time to try to acquire a pitcher. Everyone assumes we will be sellers for good reason, but why not try to acquire a guy that can immediately help our rotation? Our rotation as many of us has pointed out, is very bleak next year. I haven't looked to see how many years all of them have in their contract. I'm not very interested in trading with the Cubs again ether.

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be a terrible time to try to acquire a pitcher. Everyone assumes we will be sellers for good reason, but why not try to acquire a guy that can immediately help our rotation? Our rotation as many of us has pointed out, is very bleak next year. I haven't looked to see how many years all of them have in their contract. I'm not very interested in trading with the Cubs again ether.

THIS

However, Cole will be pricey and we know it, and Price will be pricey and we could still lose him.

And since his name wasn't listed but ALWAYS comes up at the deadline...SCREW Cliff Lee. Want nothing to do with him either.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS

However, Cole will be pricey and we know it, and Price will be pricey and we could still lose him.

And since his name wasn't listed but ALWAYS comes up at the deadline...SCREW Cliff Lee. Want nothing to do with him either.

Lee is supposed to make about 3 starts before the deadline. I would love to have his presence and strike throwing in this rotation next year. This depends on his injury and how he looks when he comes back.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee is supposed to make about 3 starts before the deadline. I would love to have his presence and strike throwing in this rotation next year. This depends on his injury and how he looks when he comes back.

Unless the Phillies ate contract, it would cost us about $50M to have Cliff for 1.5 seasons (12.5 this year, 25 next year, 12.5M buyout/27.5M)

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the Phillies ate contract, it would cost us about $50M to have Cliff for 1.5 seasons (12.5 this year, 25 next year, 12.5M buyout/27.5M)

I think the Phillies are aware they're going to have to eat some of the contract no matter where he goes.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Phillies are aware they're going to have to eat some of the contract no matter where he goes.

yeah, but that eating contract means we pay more prospect-wise. I'm ok with not trading for an SP this year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that's probably likely, at least until the off-season.

Maybe Price doesn't sign a contract with the team that gets him and we can make a run at him in FA.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Price doesn't sign a contract with the team that gets him and we can make a run at him in FA.

I would be shocked if he does, and I think I'd rather have Scherzer. Price has thrown a ton of innings and I'm a little scared of giving him a long term deal. I'm scared of giving any pitcher a long term deal.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if he does, and I think I'd rather have Scherzer. Price has thrown a ton of innings and I'm a little scared of giving him a long term deal. I'm scared of giving any pitcher a long term deal.

Oh yeah, forgot about Max. Definitely would rather have him, but I've always thought he was an ace :behindsofa:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but that eating contract means we pay more prospect-wise. I'm ok with not trading for an SP this year.

Yeah, I think it's smartest for us to wait on trading for any pitching in the offseason. Seems like it would be cheaper that way anyway. You really rarely see a team completely out of contention trade for a elite starter at the deadline. Typically they are on the other side of that trade receiving prospects. Seems more realistic to go after a guy like Shields in FA than any real SP trade happening IMO.

I could see a trade for maybe a top SP prospect or something like that though. I would just hope that if that was the case it was someone that could potentially make an impact next season. The A's have had some success with these type of trades. Maybe a Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman type from the O's but I am not sure they would need anything we could offer. Not to mention, the O's need SP about as bad as we do. Also, would want to see Dylan pitch some before all of that, he is coming off of TJ this season.