• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers at Angels 6/20-6/22

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think it's smartest for us to wait on trading for any pitching in the offseason. Seems like it would be cheaper that way anyway. You really rarely see a team completely out of contention trade for a elite starter at the deadline. Typically they are on the other side of that trade receiving prospects. Seems more realistic to go after a guy like Shields in FA than any real SP trade happening IMO.

I could see a trade for maybe a top SP prospect or something like that though. I would just hope that if that was the case it was someone that could potentially make an impact next season. The A's have had some success with these type of trades. Maybe a Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman type from the O's but I am not sure they would need anything we could offer. Not to mention, the O's need SP about as bad as we do. Also, would want to see Dylan pitch some before all of that, he is coming off of TJ this season.

You don't see it but we're a rare team that's out of contention but expect to be WS contenders again next year.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, forgot about Max. Definitely would rather have him, but I've always thought he was an ace :behindsofa:

I'd rather have him too but I think if the Halos don't through everything they have at him (should free up a ton with Wells coming off the Books), then someone else will. I'd rather have more depth than throwing it all at one guy. We need 2-3 SP IMO. Still would be thrilled to get him though. I just think Sheilds will be cheap enough that we can pursue other needs too. I think we already have around $110M commented next season without factoring in any options.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't see it but we're a rare team that's out of contention but expect to be WS contenders again next year.

I'm not sure if it's a given that we are WS contenders again next season. There are still too many unknown's IMO-Fielder's condition and of course SP: Holland, Harrison, Perez, Tepesh, Martinez and maybe even Ogando or Feliz. Also, our BP still needs a ton of work. Just seems a tad to early to talk about where we will be next season. Besides, don't you think it would cost more to trade for a elite SP during the season vs doing so in the offseason?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if it's a given that we are WS contenders again next season. There are still too many unknown's IMO-Fielder's condition and of course SP: Holland, Harrison, Perez, Tepesh, Martinez and maybe even Ogando or Feliz. Also, our BP still needs a ton of work. Just seems a tad to early to talk about where we will be next season. Besides, don't you think it would cost more to trade for a elite SP during the season vs doing so in the offseason?
WS contenders? I'm with you. Out of sight out of mind. Once these players had surgery, no one knows who will be back and if they all make it will they be the same player? Yu is the only SP at this time I can pencil likely to be a good bet. With ankle and now knee surgery, Soto is not a sure thing either. Profar is now a year behind in development. WS contender? I think not.:agree:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 straight losses dropping us 5 games under 500 and sitting 11 plus games behind the best team in baseball. I can't throw in the towel with 1/2 the season still to play. Not when 8 to 10 games over can get you in a playoff game for a birth in the hunt. Maybe that's cause I see baseball more than any other sport, as a sport where a playoff seat makes you a real WS contender. Pitching, defense and timely hitting can get you there and home field advantage is near nonexistent.

Just can't do it....much less talk about selling the only two players who have somewhat lived up to expectations. Way to much baseball yet to happen.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 straight losses dropping us 5 games under 500 and sitting 11 plus games behind the best team in baseball. I can't throw in the towel with 1/2 the season still to play. Not when 8 to 10 games over can get you in a playoff game for a birth in the hunt. Maybe that's cause I see baseball more than any other sport, as a sport where a playoff seat makes you a real WS contender. Pitching, defense and timely hitting can get you there and home field advantage is near nonexistent.

Just can't do it....much less talk about selling the only two players who have somewhat lived up to expectations. Way to much baseball yet to happen.

As of now we have a POFF of 4.7%. So, there is a chance but it is a really slim one. I haven't given up either and will continue to watch but my expectations are incredibly low.

Pitching would have to make an unprecedented turn around. We have the worst team ERA and the 2nd worst team fielding % in in the AL. Pair that with a middle of the pack offense and its going to be really hard to get traction. Not a fair weather fan though, I will be here till the end.

Not to into trading people that might help us next season either. I don't think Choice has shown he can be a replacement for Rios yet, so, I think we need to hang onto Rios. That is unless we want to overpay for Cruz (which would make me happy no matter what bc I love the guy just not happening). I think we will need Soria too, we need someone to build the pen around. Anyway, don't think you are interested in taking next season to much given your post, so I won't elaborate more but I agree its might be to early to be thinking trade. Let's see what happens with these prospects as they progress through this season in the Texas heat.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WS contenders? I'm with you. Out of sight out of mind. Once these players had surgery, no one knows who will be back and if they all make it will they be the same player? Yu is the only SP at this time I can pencil likely to be a good bet. With ankle and now knee surgery, Soto is not a sure thing either. Profar is now a year behind in development. WS contender? I think not.:agree:

Yeah, I didn't even think about Profar. It's a possibility Odor might end up stealing his spot. Same goes for Soto as well. Both Chirinos and Gimenez have actually filled in pretty well overall and Soto is a FA next season. I agree 100% on Yu and there is no guarantee that even if Cobra finds his stuff he will be back next season, he is also a FA.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max, Shields, Beckett, Burnett, Gallardo, Jason Hammel, Gavin Floyd, Masterson, Haren, Peavy, Ervin Santana, are all free agents.

Lester as well

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way we sign Scherzer, he turned down 26/year

and if fans think we're contenders next year, then you don't trade Soria or Rios. As of right now, Choice is a downgrade from Rios....that may change but I tend to doubt it.
And who even knows about the Rotation, things don't look great right now...a couple guys could surprise, it happens.
And then you have to assume Prince will be able to perform. Harry will never pitch again, it would be a miracle if he could throw an inning out of the pen.
If we're contenders next year, it's going to be with players that aren't on anyone's radar right now

Prince, Perez and Harry's injuries reach far beyond this season

Last edited by a moderator: