• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams vs. Packers Analysis

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense:

Offensive Line,
Starting unit, overall I am very pleased with the starting unit. Pass protection was much improved over last week and I didn’t see anyone get beat badly. There are a couple of issues I would like to see sured up in the running game but it mostly looked like communication errors on a couple of run plays. For those of you who said Barksdale didn’t have it, go back and look at the game film and just watch him. I was really impressed with him @ RT. If Saffold can’t cut it this year or gets injured he’ll be well covered.
Second unit & 3rd unit, I hope these guys develop into better players than what they showed this weekend. Both the 2nd & 3rd unit backup Tackles looked really bad. DJ young and Neskye (sp) got beat on almost every single play. I hope they are looking at the waiver wire for talent because these guys won’t get it done.

Running backs,
Pead, he started the game with a great run over the tackle (Barksdale) that went about 20 yards. It’s really what I wanted to see from him. However after that he pretty much disappeared. Sure some of the issues were with the Oline and play calling but tbh he just doesn’t look like a grinder. Smaller running backs have to be grinders, find holes, use their small size and elusiveness to get those couple of extra yards and just don’t see that out of him. Richardson is different; he does what he has to make a play. Whether it’s lowering his head or using his quicks to make a play he seems to ‘have it’. One thing about Pead that looks much improved is his pass blocking. On the play to Givens he had a fantastic block on AJ Hawk that completely stone walled him. I’d like to see Fisher split time with Richardson and Pead next game just to keep Peads confidence up. Cunningham looked ok but with that 2nd & 3rd unit Oline I can’t really get a read on whether or not he is any good.
Ganaway and Stacy, not sure how serious their injuries were but I look to see a lot of G & S in game 4 of preseason.

WR’s/TE,
This unit as a whole needs a lot of work, running short routes, dropping balls, and not lining up correctly thus drawing illegal formations. Pettis completely disappeared and didn’t get targeted once (maybe by design). Not sure if he’s getting open or Bradford doesn’t have that comfort level with him yet. Givens is still showing up every game. Teams will definitely scheme against him in the regular season for the deep ball. So he has to develop a mid-range game with Bradford. Austin is obviously a rookie and will need to develop a little bit to get up to speed. I think he’ll be a good player but he has to learn the dance moves won’t work in the NFL. Cook looked great on the pass n catch. He has a great burst and she showcased that going over the middle on Saturday. I’m excited to see him and Kendricks this season.

Quarterbacks,
SB looked pretty good besides the missed pass and botched snap. One thing I’ve noticed so far this season is he seems much more comfortable in the pocket. He moves up and slides better than before. If he keeps upright and the Oline gives him decent time he should light it up this year. Clemens on the other hand……looked awful! I’m not trying to blow this out of proportion but if Sam goes down and he’s our second QB look out, the Rams might not win any games this year. Granted the Oline played awfully for him but he still has to take that into consideration and get rid of the ball. Davis looks well ahead of Clemens at this point in preseason. If Davis has a strong game next week, look for him to be named #2 QB.

Defense:

DLine,
The first team unit played so-so, not much push up front and next to no pass rush (besides the sack by Quinn) Rivers, looked pretty good with the first team, might be a good rotational player. However, once they adjusted to what the packers were doing in the run game they shut Lacy down, which is nice to see. Long has been invisible so far but he’s a grinder and usually gets sacks later in the game. Quinn is a big fast man but he has to learn to utilize the inside move more often. Brockers has been ok so far but is usually double teamed so someone else (Langford, Hayes, Cudjo) will have to pick up the slack.

LB’s,
I’m nervous about this unit. Dunbar’s 4 game suspension doesn’t help an already sketchy unit. Witherspoon will do ‘ok’ but he is no Dunbar. JL55 has proven he is a good reliable player but that only goes so far. My biggest concern is obviously Ogletree. He looks completely lost out there unless he’s blitzing. Teams are going to exploit him to the max if Fisher doesn’t fix this. I don’t care if Ogletree doesn’t start the first couple of games as long as we have a serviceable player in there. Problem is we really have no one to fill in for him if he doesn’t get up to speed by week one. One thing I did like is that Fisher Left Alec in there with the 2nd teamers. He needs all the reps he can get.

DB’s,
As Cortland F. said, “Yes we’re playing a vanilla defense but we have to execute the vanilla defense and we’re not.” He hit the nail on the head, I don’t mind the rams playing a basic cover 2/3 shell but execute!!! T. Johnson has been pretty bad; he single handedly reversed an interception because he was overly aggressive. He has to calm down and just play mistake free football. He also has to work on his tackling but Fisher should fix that before week 1. Mcleod looks great so far. Watch for him to push Stewart for the starting job. McDonald looked better but he still gets lost some times. He’s made strides tho and if he continues to do so he’ll be a good player.

ST’s
Looked better than last week, Austin will find out you can’t go sideways or dance punt returning. Hopefully he doesn't get laid out.

Coaching,
Fisher and Co. are capable of turning this organization around but I don’t want them to get in over their heads with young players. Again we are the youngest team in the league and that just means mistakes, mistakes, mistakes, and we’re going to be driven nuts with penalties and illegal formations this year. I know as fans we have to stay patient but there comes a point when fans and players want to see results over potential.
On scheme I don’t mind vanilla but execute, preseason is here for a reason and hopefully we’ll get everything cleaned up.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third down conversion needs to be addressed. 1 or 14 I believe. All in good time.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 and 14 or something like that. ya really bad.....part of the problem was receivers running 1 yard short of the 1st down marker.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other would be penalties putting us at 3rd and way long....

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant 1 of 14 so sorry. Penalties, short routes all a sign of the youth on the team.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OzarkRam. Love the avi switch to the main man Jackie Slater. Good choice!!!

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Retro. He was (Slater) without a doubt the most man on the field. I will probably change up now and again.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a believer in won/loss numbers in the preseason, but I do want to see better play from the defense...The missed tackles are a big problem at this point...Both games so far there have a bundle of whiffs...The offense , I think will be fine by the time the real deal comes around in three weeks...ST's were much improved in game 2...I agree that Austin has to be a little more downfield oriented...As retro said, he'll get killed if he keeps putting himself in harms way...Would have been stunned if Richardson hadn't been tagged as the starter...Pead has shown very little to this point...I'm hoping Stacy shows up when he's healthy...Overall I'm not thrilled at this point, but when the season starts we'll see in the 1st couple of weeks what we're looking at...