• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's saying he makes the right decisions. So basically even when somebody gets a catch, Peterson is still making the right play in terms of ok this guy is not going to get any more yardage because im going to tackle correctly.

Im just saying if he was truly the house, nobody would be making catches against him.

Crazy to think the guy that has since entered the NFL in 2015, 1. No player has more interceptions (19) or passes defensed (55). 2. Including the playoffs, Marcus Peters has 21 career interceptions. Peters has 7 more interceptions than any other player since 2015. 3. Only Ed Reed has more interceptions than Marcus Peters in the first 3 seasons of a player's career in the last 25 seasons (including playoffs). 4. Only Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback A.J. Bouye has allowed a lower passer rating in coverage than Peters since 2015 (min. 200 defensive targets); still has room to improve and accumulating this production without having a Pro Bowl corner on the other side and the pass rush pressure of Suh and Donald. Not to mention with the Rams having a prolific offense, teams will be forced to pass more to try to keep up. I think Peters is almost as much as a priority as Donald. Guys that produce turnovers don't grow on trees and need to be kept under contract.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy to think the guy that has since entered the NFL in 2015, 1. No player has more interceptions (19) or passes defensed (55). 2. Including the playoffs, Marcus Peters has 21 career interceptions. Peters has 7 more interceptions than any other player since 2015. 3. Only Ed Reed has more interceptions than Marcus Peters in the first 3 seasons of a player's career in the last 25 seasons (including playoffs). 4. Only Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback A.J. Bouye has allowed a lower passer rating in coverage than Peters since 2015 (min. 200 defensive targets); still has room to improve and accumulating this production without having a Pro Bowl corner on the other side and the pass rush pressure of Suh and Donald. Not to mention with the Rams having a prolific offense, teams will be forced to pass more to try to keep up. I think Peters is almost as much as a priority as Donald. Guys that produce turnovers don't grow on trees and need to be kept under contract.
You make me want to go and change my vote on our FA poll thread with this post.

Them are some nice facts there Battleyon, and I hope these FA attempts to make our defense better translates to our play on the field.

With that, there has been a lot of talk about how it's only good on paper and how the Rams will struggle to get all the pieces to fit. Not too many speculating on the prospect of the Rams defensive additions actually making their defense better. On that note, this Rams' fan has to wonder just how good can this defense be? It does have the makings of something great with all that talent on the field and the high level coaching to boot.

I have my fingers crossed :hope: for something special!

Who the hell knows, if our offense can continue to develop, and our special teams continue to improve, we could be looking at a team for the ages. Still, we could shatter every record in all three phases but if we have a team like that and lose in the Superbowl to team that comes from nowhere, say the Browns, it will be deja vu all over again. Just don't see 'Cleveland' cheating their way to the top, however I could be wrong... :rolleyes2:

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The personalities talk makes me laugh, the 90s Cowboys had a dynasty with personalities. And people talking about Wade not getting the pieces to fit, pardon the pun, puzzles me. If we didn't have a highly touted defensive coordinator in Wade Phillips, than I can understand. Wade is good at what he does and has a track record to prove it. And he was even a decent head coach, he was the last Bills coach to have the team have a winning record until last year, hell he had never had a losing season as Bills coach and won double digit game twice, even with a washed up Thurman Thomas, and journeyman Doug Flutie as qb. Doug Flutie only found success under Wade Phillips. As head coach for whole seasons, Wade has had 6 winning seasons while having only one losing season, which was 7-9 in 1994.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The personalities talk makes me laugh, the 90s Cowboys had a dynasty with personalities. And people talking about Wade not getting the pieces to fit, pardon the pun, puzzles me. If we didn't have a highly touted defensive coordinator in Wade Phillips, than I can understand. Wade is good at what he does and has a track record to prove it. And he was even a decent head coach, he was the last Bills coach to have the team have a winning record until last year, hell he had never had a losing season as Bills coach and won double digit game twice, even with a washed up Thurman Thomas, and journeyman Doug Flutie as qb. Doug Flutie only found success under Wade Phillips. As head coach for whole seasons, Wade has had 6 winning seasons while having only one losing season, which was 7-9 in 1994.
You can't say 7-9 on these board without making a payment of sorts...

giphy.gif

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Brockers is Rams' secret star; rookie quarterback intel

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Rams defensive lineman Michael Brockers hasn't watched the tape. Not even any cut-ups. Last season's 26-13 Wild Card Round loss to visiting Atlanta is still bitter to Brockers.

The result, of course, is the worst part. But for him, that's not the hard part.

Brockers tore his MCL in the second quarter of what was then a tight game. The Falcons racked up 23 of their 39 total rushes after the 6-foot-5, 305-pounder went down, many times running toward the spot where Brockers previously had been handling his business. Of Atlanta's 124 total rush yards, 71 came in the second half, when Brockers occupied the sideline, wounded.

"That's just one example of how valuable that guy is to us," defensive line coach Bill Johnson said of Brockers this week, ahead of Saturday's preseason game against Houston. "Just one of many."

In an offseason defined by star-studded defensive additions, resulting hype and the holdout of reigning Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald, Brockers has gone relatively unnoticed, which is kind of hard to understand -- but not every star in the sky shines equally bright.

Brockers, entering his seventh season, is one of three former first-round picks on the defensive line (along with Donald and Ndamukong Suh), and is coming off one of the most productive seasons in his NFL career. Heading into 2018, Brockers, according to Johnson, is a vital cog in a rebuilt defense the Rams seriously upgraded this offseason, with hopes the unit can help lift L.A. to heights beyond last season's rare playoff berth.

"I've been under the radar my whole career," said Brockers, who is coming off a season that saw him post a career-high 55 tackles, including 4.5 sacks. "I'm comfortable with how things are. I don't have any stresses, really. I don't have to live up to expectations. Nobody's booing you because you had 12 sacks the season before and just had 11.5 and that's a down year. I can fly around and have fun."

Added Johnson: "He doesn't have to prove anything to me or anyone here. He doesn't have to play backup to anybody. He's not flashy, but he is good."

In his second season as a defensive end in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme, Brockers is pretty much the set-up man who allows others to thrive. He is mainly used as a 4-technique (head up on the offensive tackle) and sometimes a 5-technique (outside shade/shoulder of the offensive tackle). He could move inside closer to the center in some packages, but -- for the most part -- Brockers occupies blockers so Suh, Donald (once he shows up) and others can make plays.

Designs are for Suh and Donald to be used in different roles along the line, while Brockers has more of a set position -- and Brockers loves that. His ambition isn't to be in a system where he could get more sacks or direct the spotlight his way. His ambition, in his own way, is simply to rumble.

"I'm a smash-mouth guy," he said. "I grew up playing in the SEC, so I am used to dealing with double-teams and coming downhill. I played nose tackle before, and that gave me a lot of opportunities to learn a lot of things that are helping now. Yeah, I set things up, but I've learned this system well enough to set up different things."

Brockers, according to Johnson, has worked this offseason and through training camp at being a better finisher when there are sack opportunities. He'd often put himself in position to make plays, but now he has emphasized closing on the quarterback and sealing the deal, Johnson said. He's putting in the work to be better. This week, Brockers, well after nearly every other player had left the practice field, worked with two other defensive linemen on leverage and hand-placement drills. No coaches. No orders. Just want-to.

"Focus," Brockers said. "That's all it is. Focusing on the play call, the down and distance, analyzing everything quickly and staying focused. It's all just so fresh."

Fresh. It's a description Brockers used multiple times. Not just about his approach, but how fresh things feel with the Rams. That's a good thing.

When an organization is so used to losing -- Brockers didn't enjoy a winning season in his first five years -- and then suddenly blazes to a season of success, trying to recapture that mode is often the fly paper that disables progress. Each year, some team -- like the 2017 Raiders -- believes the previous season's positivity is a tide you can continue to ride. Doesn't always work that way now, does it?

"We have bought into the system so much," Brockers said. "We focus on each week, not the next week. Not on [what players] we got. We focus, as a team and individually, on that week. ... Yes, we have tremendous talent. We picked up a lot of great talent, and being in L.A., people are going to eat that up. We can't. We have to do what we have to do and get the job done. We have a ton of talent, but if we don't execute, we can get beat."

As for that new defensive talent -- Suh and cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib -- Brockers addressed the biggest concern some NFL coaches, players and personnel people outside of the organization seem to have: that there are too many combustible personalities joining forces all at once.

"They've just been grinding," Brockers said of the new, high-profile additions. "I haven't seen the character issues the media portrayed of these guys. At the end of the day, from what I've seen, they have the same mindset as the rest of us. They want to win a championship and want to win it this year."

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation of the article LTRF: We have the leverage and we will wait him out, use him until his skills begin to diminsh, and then send him packing just like very other NFL routinely does every year.

Last edited: