• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

R.I.P. David "Deacon" Jones

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After lining up with Deac you were bound to feel like you just went through a 12 rounder with a heavyweight champ with that swim move head slap...

Deacon once said of the head slap, and I paraphrase.. 'It's just a natural instinct to blink your eyes when you get hit in the head like that, and that all I need to get by them.'

He wasn't doing it specifically to injury a guy, although I'm sure he delivered more than his share of punishment as mamba suggests. He did it because he knew how he could take advantage of a natural reaction in human nature, like the blinking of the eyes from a strike to the head.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deacon once said of the head slap, and I paraphrase.. 'It's just a natural instinct to blink your eyes when you get hit in the head like that, and that all I need to get by them.'

Okay the actual quote was in one of the videos that hammer just posted from his link..

I really butchered it but got the sentiment correct...

The head slap was to do two purposes. One was to give myself an initial head start on the pass rush. In other words an extra step because anytime you go up side a mans head, then they have a tendency to blink they eyes or close they eyes and that was all I needed. Gail Sayers had a statement out that all he needed was sixteen inches, well all I needed was a blink of the old eyes and I was by you!
Fun to watch...

NFL Films remembers Deacon Jones - NFL Videos

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"With apologies to Reggie White, L.T, Chris Doleman, Richard Dent, Bruce Smith, Michael Strahan and a few others... Mr. Deacon Jones, was the greatest pass rusher of all time. You don't have defensive players now, that you physically are afraid of. [He was that]" -Michael Wilbon ESPN

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had forgotten that Rosie was still with us and had thought that all 4 were now with God establishing the line of scrimmage. We long term Rams fans can remember what it was like watching the 4 of them working as a well oiled machine. I watched probably 30+ games in the Coliseum during their run at greatness, a thrill as a boy that rivaled watching Sandy and Don for the Dodgers. I am saddened and heartened that Deacon is with the Lord and as he was in life, he will be in Heaven, a Hall of Fame spirit for us to remember and never forget. RIP Deacon.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice Avatar bluepigpen. Dick Bass one of my favorite Rams. "The Jitterbug". Alot of big runs in his Career.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Chilipepper, my first game I ever saw was at the Coliseum when the Rams played the Lions. I was 9 years old in 1961 and watched the little fullback/halfback Dick Bass scamper through the Lions. That day I was hooked on the Rams and Dick Bass and 52 years later I have not lost a bit of that love for the Horns. It is a sad day for the Rams fans but a great day for the Lord, he now has a HOFer to protect all that is right and just.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: