• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

R.I.P. David "Deacon" Jones

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caynine I thought it would be nice to remember Deacon Jones by compiling a top list of the greatest and discussing where he ranks. I don't want to speak negatively about him and hope you don't take this as such but he ranks #2 on my list. I have "Mean" Joe Greene, David "Deacon" Jones, and then everyone else. Those two are in another class.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh No!

Wow, that is a sad day for football. The baddest of the bad... Man struck fear into the hearts of many O Lineman and QBs...

RIP Deacon Jones...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deacon-jones.jpg

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEGEND!!! For those who don't know, Deacon was once asked what it felt like to tackle the quarterback. He replied something along the line of "It's like putting down a sack of potatoes".

Thus the term "sack" was coined forever more. Only legends invent football terminology and a statistical category!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember as a boy growing up in the 50's, the player that got me hooked in general on football and the Rams and those horns specifically was David "Deacon" Jones. I remember how pumped I could get watching him play with such rage and how he dominated the line of scimmage just by stepping onto the field that would lead to such power and athletic fluidity in the playing of a kid's game.

I was at first stunned and then saddened by the news of the passing of David. He embodied the Rams defensive mentality in the middle years of a storied franchise. Drafted in the 14th round in an era old-school era, he played with such shear aggression and passion of the defensive mindset in a game that still captures a great deal of the essence of what it is to be male on this planet.

The Fearsome Foursome were a symbol of teamwork amongst men that expressed the coordinated accomplishments of four individuals that flowed into a cohesive unit that simply was too pwoerful to be ignored. I remember the simplicity yet awesome power all four who played on defense and I knew that football would be a significant component of my life both as a player of it and then later as a spectator because of what I saw and wanted to be.

With his passing, there remains just Rosie. I am sure he misses his friend as I miss yet another great players who made the game that it is today especially on the defensive side of the ball. I have him as my avi and I shall continue so in memory of a defensive stalwart that brought so much to so many over the years. Rest in peace, Mr Jones!!!

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams fan since George Allen first year as head coach. George won on defense. Deacon Jones and the Fearsome Foursome was the driving force to all those great winning years. George would always run the ball the first two downs then pass to a tight end to get a 1st. 10 yards at a time. Long time eating drives then kick a FG. Kickoff and get the ball back with a 3 and out. Because of Deacon and company. As a kid I just expected the defense to make the opponent to go 3 and out most times. The fearsome foursome were just that. Then the offense would go on another long time eating drive. The other team just ran out of time to get anything going. RAMS win! Didn't work so well in the playoffs with the likes of Dallas and Minn. Who had better offenses and great defenses too. RAMS would lose 14-10 like that. But Deacon and the RAMS defense would keep those powerhouse offenses in check. Back then they didn't keep sack records. Deacon would have the SACK record easily if they did. RIP 75

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually My first game I went to was George Allen's first year. But listened to games since 64. Don't want to cheat myself out of two seasons.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had forgotten that Rosie was still with us and had thought that all 4 were now with God establishing the line of scrimmage. We long term Rams fans can remember what it was like watching the 4 of them working as a well oiled machine. I watched probably 30+ games in the Coliseum during their run at greatness, a thrill as a boy that rivaled watching Sandy and Don for the Dodgers. I am saddened and heartened that Deacon is with the Lord and as he was in life, he will be in Heaven, a Hall of Fame spirit for us to remember and never forget. RIP Deacon.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inventor of "the sack". True legend. RIP

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to speak negatively about him and hope you don't take this as such but he ranks #2 on my list. I have "Mean" Joe Greene, David "Deacon" Jones, and then everyone else.

That's not "speaking negatively", at all. It's your opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Now... of course I disagree with it ;) .... but, no disrespect whatsoever was taken from your statement.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's impossible for me to rank the best defensive player of all time. There are so many great defensive players to play the game but David ''Deacon'' Jones will always remain in the discussion for the best defensive player of all time. I remember when I first joined most of you on the unfortunate mess of CBS website, most of you frequently talked about Jones, and more so, the Fearsome Foursome.

I'm thankful to have many Rams veteran fans here to discuss topics such as this and to teach us a history of what made the game what it is today... except about all this ridiculous penalties when sackin' the QB... I'd guess Jones would get penalized for just about every sack he'd make in today's NFL.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After lining up with Deac you were bound to feel like you just went through a 12 rounder with a heavyweight champ with that swim move head slap...

[YOUTUBE]K26yiwXvJiE&feature=player_detailpage[/YOUTUBE]

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEGEND!!! PART II For those who don't know, Deacon's signature defensive move was the "head slap". My adrenaline would always start rushing when in interviews he would discuss the sounds emanating from under the offensive lineman's helmet after receiving one of his blows.

Ultimately, after many years, because of the devastating success of the "head slap", Deacon's signature move was disallowed. Only legends create defensive moves and subsequently get them banned in the rule book!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it is soooo good to be amongst Rams fans on days like these. I enjoyed reading all of the comments posted and will read the ones to come as well.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My condolences to the entire RAMS family, fans and all. Jones was one of the scariest defenders this game has ever seen.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on shaneC thread however I thought I would post it her too.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am in every forearm shiver blow,
I am the desire in the perennial pro.

I am in the cheer of every sack,
I am the fear-instilled in the Quarterback.

I am in the silence of a pregame hush,
I am the grace in an artful rush.

Now three of the foursome's reunite,
We are the starshine seen at night.

I am in the fear and in the doom,
I am the quiet in the training room.

I am in the fans that cheer and sing,
I am the quest for the Super Bowl ring.

Do not stand at my grave bereft
I am not there. I have not left.

R.I.P. Deacon!