• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Questions About The 2016 CHICAGO CUBS

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Who will be the lead off hitter?

2. Will Jason Hamel pitch a more consistent season?

3. Will the CUBS learn to manufacture runs, instead of using the long ball as a crutch?

4. Will the CUBS not strikeout as much?

5. Will Soler play a consistent RF?

6. Will Schwarber play a consistent LF?

7. Will Joe Madden rest pitching more, because of a stronger bull pen?

8. Will the CUBS have home field advantage in the post season?

9. Will the CUBS make a big trade before the season is over?

10. Why is the message board so dead?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Who will be the lead off hitter? HEYWARD

2. Will Jason Hamel pitch a more consistent season? NO

3. Will the CUBS learn to manufacture runs, instead of using the long ball as a crutch? THEY HAVE TO, and WILL.

4. Will the CUBS not strikeout as much? YES, BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE.

5. Will Soler play a consistent RF? GOOD ENUFF. MADDON HAS NO QUALMS ABOUT MAKING DEFENSIVE SUBS. THANK GOODNESS HE'S NOT RON WASHINGTON

6. Will Schwarber play a consistent LF? SEE ABOVE. SCHWARBY HAS NO REAL PLACE ON THE FIELD, BUT WE LOVE HIM AND HIS BAT.

7. Will Joe Madden rest pitching more, because of a stronger bull pen? NO

8. Will the CUBS have home field advantage in the post season? YES

9. Will the CUBS make a big trade before the season is over? NAH

10. Why is the message board so dead? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A CUBS FAN?? :)

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that Fowler was re signed, who knows who may be the lead off hitter...

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welpst, Corrections:
Soler won't be playing right, Heyward will.
I guess you let Fowler stay as lead off. Although, with a one year contract, he may start swinging for the fences like he did at the end of last year. Which if he does and strikes out more, means the answer to two other questions may be affected: Cubs may still swing for the fences more and keep a high strike out rate. Ugh

So. I think it needs to be impressed upon Fowler to do his lead off duties right.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of my questions were answered today...

I'm guessing Soler will play left field, when opponents throw a left handed pitcher against us. (or he'll be traded)

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of my questions were answered today...

I'm guessing Soler will play left field, when opponents throw a left handed pitcher against us. (or he'll be traded)
Where would you put Schwarby?

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would you put Schwarby?

Schwarber will play left field when righties pitch against us.....And he will do some catching. He is too valuable to sit on the bench......And he's mature way beyond his years

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarber will play left field when righties pitch against us.....And he will do some catching. He is too valuable to sit on the bench......And he's mature way beyond his years
you say he is too valuable to sit the bench [which was my point], and at the same time you say he'll play only when righties pitch against. :noidea:

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they keep Soler, he's gonna play....Madden has made a point of keeping everyone involved.
And for Soler, LF is easier to play. And they traded Coghlan........Schwarber sat out some games last season.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cubs looking to answer the question, can you have too much.

Not only is Fowler back, which I do not like, you said goodbye, then crawl back when your guaranteed deal does not let you leave, while negotiating a 5 million dollar buyout of this mutual option, so he is gonna end up getting 13 plus if the cubs dont ask him back.

Then, they go out and sign Shane Victorino to a minor league contract.

Javy Baez, Zobrist, no choice but to share second base now.

Its not that I dont think its a better team with Fowler, its questioning whether it was necessary.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maddon will use multiple platoons and will not start Fowler every game. The Heyward plan for centerfield and leadoff will still be very much a reality this season. We'll continue to develop Soler, Schwarber will play left field and catch and Fowler will come off the bench for defensive purposes when he is not starting.

Montero's playing time will be the most affected by Fowler's resigning.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarby shouldn't be catching at all.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maddon will use multiple platoons and will not start Fowler every game. The Heyward plan for centerfield and leadoff will still be very much a reality this season. We'll continue to develop Soler, Schwarber will play left field and catch and Fowler will come off the bench for defensive purposes when he is not starting.

Montero's playing time will be the most affected by Fowler's resigning.
Why don't you think Heyward Right, Fowler Center?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwarby shouldn't be catching at all.

These posts lose me. Just about every team in the league has a black hole in the lineup at catcher and we have a big bat that can allow another big bat in the lineup to play outfield. I am not impressed by Monteros defense. He frames pitches 6 inches, he is not that good. You dont need to move your glove to the middle of the plate when you are stealing strikes, you need to bring the glove to the corner. Contrares is ready to catch in this league, and will replace Ross when he moves to the coaching role when he retires, but Schwarber is here now.

Best catcher in college awards were all based on offense I suppose with Schwarber.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These posts lose me. Just about every team in the league has a black hole in the lineup at catcher and we have a big bat that can allow another big bat in the lineup to play outfield. I am not impressed by Monteros defense. He frames pitches 6 inches, he is not that good. You dont need to move your glove to the middle of the plate when you are stealing strikes, you need to bring the glove to the corner. Contrares is ready to catch in this league, and will replace Ross when he moves to the coaching role when he retires, but Schwarber is here now.

Best catcher in college awards were all based on offense I suppose with Schwarber.
catching = bad for legs, knees. Baseball is about offense. It's just a hard truth.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
catching = bad for legs, knees. Baseball is about offense. It's just a hard truth.
yes, but now he is a young man. I do not see an eventual biggio never catching again scenario, but its not this early in his career.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Schwarber is going to play LF......It's important he plays there most of the year......He can't learn to play LF by catching.........and being jerked around defensively does effect hitting after awhile.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he did not have any trouble playing left field until october cold weather in the playoffs.

I just dont get Maddon wanting a Zobrist all last year, moving Coghlan around like he was Zobrist, but now you got the man and he is the one that is supposedly not going to be bouncing around. Instead they want Baez to back up Rizzo at first instead of putting Baez at second and putting Zobrist at first.

That is the whole question this year. The outfield was pretty well set, if you need a defender in Center, you bring up Almora and deal with his bat hitting ninth. I get the Heyward deal, I do not get the Fowler deal unless he is on the bench and you are letting Schwarber and Soler play.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he did not have any trouble playing left field until october cold weather in the playoffs.

I just dont get Maddon wanting a Zobrist all last year, moving Coghlan around like he was Zobrist, but now you got the man and he is the one that is supposedly not going to be bouncing around. Instead they want Baez to back up Rizzo at first instead of putting Baez at second and putting Zobrist at first.

That is the whole question this year. The outfield was pretty well set, if you need a defender in Center, you bring up Almora and deal with his bat hitting ninth. I get the Heyward deal, I do not get the Fowler deal unless he is on the bench and you are letting Schwarber and Soler play.
Why should Zobrisy sit whil Baez bats? Why should Soler hit while Fowler sits? Why would you purposefully give up a bat to place s defender in the outfield unless we're talking the last two innings in a game we're winning comfortably... in which case, that scenario isn't worth discussing in this thread about who will start.

I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote above.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should Zobrisy sit whil Baez bats? Why should Soler hit while Fowler sits? Why would you purposefully give up a bat to place s defender in the outfield unless we're talking the last two innings in a game we're winning comfortably... in which case, that scenario isn't worth discussing in this thread about who will start.

I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote above.

Maybe you are considering playing 4 outfielders, but all 4 cannot be in the game at the same time, so it sounds like everyone is fine letting Soler or Schwarber sit and giving up their at bats so Fowler can hit .240 again trying to hit home runs and play everyday. Heyward should be playing every day, but taking half of the at bats away from Soler and Schwarber is nuts.

Nobody is saying Zobrist should sit, Zobrist should use his versatility and be the one that goes to left field, first base, and let Baez play where he plays best at second or third. That is what has made Zobrist so valuable, why he has been traded to playoff teams for what seems like every year over the past 4 years. Maddon finally got his guy to do that and everybody thinks he is staying at second base while we make another zobrist like maddon tried to do with coghlan.