• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Cam Newton reaches 1-year deal with Patriots

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is a garbage article meant to fill a website and kill time until real football news is available.

Brady was, and is I assume, one of the best at shifting within the pocket. He has also been able to work with some great O-Lines.
That said, I think the article is referring to when the pocket disintegrates or the QB steps out of the pocket AND is trying to keep the play alive. A telling number that CM can avoid tackles when trying to keep the play alive.
Whats the stat for QB's throwing it away?
How many intentional groundings has Brady racked up these past few years?
What is the stat for throwing to the (wide) open receiver that had been previously frozen out in order to maintain that winning percentage?
I agree with your interpretation but they are comparing Brady and Newton to reached a conclusion that can't be met. They might as well be comparing Brady to David Andrews.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, It's wrong to try to compare Newton to Brady or Brady to Newton. They play a different brand of quarterback. What I think needs comparison is how each of the adjusts to new teams.

Over the past five days I've watch 2019 games against the Bills, Eagles, Bengals, Browns and Cowboys. The patriots during these games were undefeated and 8-1 against the Cowboys. I watched Brady very closely and against the Eagles and Browns he was under 50% completions at half time. Against the Brown, he threw more balls into the ground than I can ever remember. I began to see what was happening and then why the patriots stumbled so badly at the end of 2019. It was as simple a defense as could be drawn up. push the middle of the pocket back and Brady could not step up or step around and up. Brady was throwing off his back foot in many instances and was also moving back. He was so slow, that even moving to right or left immediately wasn't allowing enough time for the WRs to complete their routes. Once the Eagles did it, everyone followed suit.

Newton has the size and the speed to move around and even 300 lb linemen don't deal with a 255 lb running back that well. I think that Newton will have more time with his mobility and his ability to threaten to run.

Brady is going to have to deal with some very fast defenses that will have watched 2019 film and what others did to the Patriots offensive line. Dealing with the Saints, Falcons and Panthers speed will be something that Brady will have to make adjustments for. The one adjustment that he cannot make is his running ability. You cannot improve something that you do not have. That and the Bucs don't have a Gold Medal OL.

My take...............Cam Newton has inherited a much better situation for success than Tom Brady. The patriots will be more able to send WRs further down field and Newton will be able to get the ball to them. Brady will have much better WRs and much faster WRs but the big question will be, can he get the ball to them. 2019 film says no.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your interpretation but they are comparing Brady and Newton to reached a conclusion that can't be met. They might as well be comparing Brady to David Andrews.

Copy that.
Stats are...statistics.
Ever take a statistics class? Numbers can be skewered to show whatever result one is looking for.
I am not saying Newton is a better QB or Brady is a better QB.
Newton runs better. Everyone know that.
Because he is a better runner, he out ran a would be tackler 110 times, and Brady only did it twice.
What that does not show us is how many escape attempts there was. How many tackles for loss.
Did Brady run twice and escape twice?
Did Newton try to run 220 times and outrun a tackler only 50% of the time?

Don't care.

It's a funny stat that I thought I would share for the humor.

Oh, and good Monday morning,
Hope you had a great wekend.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copy that.
Stats are...statistics.
Ever take a statistics class? Numbers can be skewered to show whatever result one is looking for.
I am not saying Newton is a better QB or Brady is a better QB.
Newton runs better. Everyone know that.
Because he is a better runner, he out ran a would be tackler 110 times, and Brady only did it twice.
What that does not show us is how many escape attempts there was. How many tackles for loss.
Did Brady run twice and escape twice?
Did Newton try to run 220 times and outrun a tackler only 50% of the time?

Don't care.

It's a funny stat that I thought I would share for the humor.

Oh, and good Monday morning,
Hope you had a great wekend.
I missed the humor angle though me pouncing shows I thought it was funny. I think there's a stat that indicates Julian Edelman is a better QB than both... :)