• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospect Stuff

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need some position players at he MLB level, or people performing at higher levels of minors that are young to be goo trade chips to get a bat.

we have plenty of pitching, but too many guys that are just average when you put all their stuff together. most of our MLB players are young and have good ceilings, but we need some help on offense.

What exactly are you saying? That Polanco was promoted so that we can trade him? I don't see that, it doesn't fit the Huntington MO. Polanco is way to talented to trade for a rental player, which is the typical trade you would see him involved in. Prospects normally aren't traded for prospects.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glasnow and polanco are rising prospects who are not as untouchable as taillon and cole. If i were another gm thinking about trading for one or more of those guys i might ask to see how they do in a higher level first.
Just speculating.

I think that the pirates have to be thinking about adding one more position player to the lineup. Either a 1b or a rf with jones filling the other spot. Is Josh willingham having a decent year?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What exactly are you saying? That Polanco was promoted so that we can trade him? I don't see that, it doesn't fit the Huntington MO. Polanco is way to talented to trade for a rental player, which is the typical trade you would see him involved in. Prospects normally aren't traded for prospects.

our strengths (both at MLB and minors) are SP, bullpen, and OF.
we have incredible weaknesses at SS, and significant at C.
our 1B platoon is serviceable compared to last year, but not compared to what 1B should bring for an offensive team.
3B-HR, occas great play on D, but below ave in all other areas.
2B - injuries the last several years and not sure if he will be healthy and put it together for a 3-4 year stretch.

we dont have any real position IF/C studs in our system.
sanchez has played much better this year - that could solve that problem.
darnaud, dejesus, harrison, cunningham, hanson (is he really an OF), allie, herrara. some good bench guys at AAA but no real promising guys till hanson and herrera.

OF-cutch, marte, snider, tabata, presley, lambo, sands, pie, polanco, dickerson, rojas, garcia, bell

if we are going to trade for someone, we give them some pitching depth (everyone seems to need that) and an OF or 2. ideally they dont demand a polanco or bell, but ....
to get a big piece, you have to give a bit.
obviously, if we trade for a SS, we can throw in a mercer or darnaud.
trade for a 2b, we can throw in walker.

i would rather not trade polanco, but we need an IF who can play D, hit as a significant piece in all facets of the game, and stay healthy. not sure if marte is our long term leadoff guy, with his high K, low BB. like him more as a second spot with a good leadoff guy getting on so marte sees more fastballs to tee off on.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would rather they give up one of the better arms in the system... We have more pitching depth.. Let's use it instead of giving up a decent looking middle infield bat

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mercer is young, dirt cheap ( which is ultra important to this organization ) and he can even hit a little... We have to keep this kid.

I mean I guess there is a deal I would include Mercer in..But that would have to be some kind of hitter the pirates would be getting in return... 40 homerun type of bat... Yeah maybe!

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i would only include the position player if we got that position in the trade,
ie. a SS for a SS, if the other team needed a replacement at the MLB or someone to re-stock at minor league level.
we only trade if we get the big bat, that will be here a while with the other parts we have.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only position we can easily upgrade is RF.

Not sure that Tabata/Snider/Presley cant turn it around though.

I wouldnt trade any of our top prospects.

I'd go along the lines of Illinest, get a solid bat like Willingham that wont cost us top prospects. I guess we can upgrade Inge's roster spot too.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willingham if there is an interest would come super cheap, having a down year for his standards.

.211/.352/.411/.763 vs his career .258/.361/.479/.840

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask BA: Updating The Pirates Top 10 - BaseballAmerica.com

Easy to move people around on that list, I wont nitpick, I would probably rank em different every week anyway.

Its real nice having all these breakout seasons for our prospects and no mega fails/ serious injuries. Plus, all those overslot guys not doing much still have a chance to breakout and join our horde of high ceiling prospects.

Btw, McGuire signed today

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ask BA: Updating The Pirates Top 10 - BaseballAmerica.com

Easy to move people around on that list, I wont nitpick, I would probably rank em different every week anyway.

Its real nice having all these breakout seasons for our prospects and no mega fails/ serious injuries. Plus, all those overslot guys not doing much still have a chance to breakout and join our horde of high ceiling prospects.

Btw, McGuire signed today

Not that I write top 10 lists, but until someone plays some amount of time in a minor league setting I would have a very hard time placing them anywhere on a top 10 list. That is just me though. However, I think I could name 10 people I am more impressed with than Luis Heredia, even without our two top picks this year.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about selling high on Sanchez? What are everyone's thoughts on his situation? Do you call him up for 2-3 starts a week with Martin playing 3B/1B/RF in those games or just keep him marinating in AAA?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about selling high on Sanchez? What are everyone's thoughts on his situation? Do you call him up for 2-3 starts a week with Martin playing 3B/1B/RF in those games or just keep him marinating in AAA?

i would wait a little longer, let him get more confidence, and make sure he is really mastering AAA, as he got off to a pretty slow start.

he also has 13 errors!!!!!

i am ready to get rid of inge now. either when tabata comes back or to bring harrison up.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He is having some issues throwing right now. I thinkna september callup is in his future unless there is an injury at the mlb level.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it's a possibility to trade him, but not for the sake of selling high, cause they wouldn't be selling high. And it's not like the Pirates have a long term option at C.

I'd trade Mckenry before Sanchez.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sanchez can marinate a little longer. No need to rush to a decision there.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does anyone know anything about Jin-De Jhang? He is ranked #19 on MLB.com as a Pirate prospect and is still learning to play Catcher. But so far in the small sample size he is hitting well but I know nothing about him except the low strikeout rate.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So does anyone know anything about Jin-De Jhang? He is ranked #19 on MLB.com as a Pirate prospect and is still learning to play Catcher. But so far in the small sample size he is hitting well but I know nothing about him except the low strikeout rate.

He has an advanced approach at the plate, but has some lower bodybweight issues that may preclude him from remaining at catcher. He also has the language barrier as well as learning the catcher position. His bat is probably ready for High A but the rest of him is pretty much where he needs to be. Out of McGuire, Mathisen and himself we should be able to produce a good catcher.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks good to know. That is good to see the depth at the lower levels at the Catcher position. It would be nice to move along some Pitchers with the catchers so they learn off of each other.