• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospect Stuff

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Strickland can be a useful bullpen guy, like Mags said. Other than that I don't see much else.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it...

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Element

I have to agree! Boras has made himself and his clients a lot of money using the strategy that the best way to get the maximum amount of money for a player in their career is to get them to free agency as soon as humanly possible. In this case it just seems like the player did not want to play where he was drafted and gave up a year of his life to play somewhere else.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was checking on Allie's stats in WV I was curious about Wyatt Mathisen. He isn't looking too hot but from all I read they love his tools. With his speed I wonder how long he stays at catcher?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When I was checking on Allie's stats in WV I was curious about Wyatt Mathisen. He isn't looking too hot but from all I read they love his tools. With his speed I wonder how long he stays at catcher?

He is still trying to learn to play catcher. He was SS in HS. He is currently on the DL, but all in all he hasn't looked too good from afar. The one problem I see with him is that he has to stay at catcher. He doesn't have the range for SS and doesn't have the power to move to third. I really haven't read much to be able to say what he struggling with offensively, could be one thing, could be a lot of things. I hope he figures it out because I really do like what he brings to the catcher position.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow,

Not quite the Range for SS not enough power for Third base... Used to be that meant you became a second baseman..

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow,

Not quite the Range for SS not enough power for Third base... Used to be that meant you became a second baseman..

Not in the same class as Dilson Herrera, but in the same level. I realize a lot can change by the time any of this group is knocking on the major league door, but I just feel his best shot is as a catcher. Let us also not forget that it takes longer to develop a catcher than any other position player.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All thanks for the details.

Man after watching that video his swing looks pretty bad, not sure what they are doing with his feet.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Man after watching that video his swing looks pretty bad, not sure what they are doing with his feet.

agree, swing looks bad, no lower body in swing. so erect in stance, but through swing as well.

behind the plate, reaching forward for ball and not letting it come to him.
needs to move closer to the batter.

he has a long way to go.
i would assume he had some bat as the reason to be drafted, but unless he has regressed because of the position change and can bounce back .....

it looks like in the position transition, we got lucky with allie, and traded mathisen. broke even.

hopefully sanchez is our guy - not sure and mathisen is a mute point at least from our needs are concerned. always nice to have more trade chips tho.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have never seen feet so close together in a "hitting position." He can't transfer his weight more than a couple centimeters. How does he expect to drive the ball with no legs?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On an aside to the Mathisen convo, Keith Law updated his top 25 minor league prospects today. Pirates had 3 on the list, we were the only org to have more than 2. Cole was a dozen, Taillon two more and Polanco jumped from 55 preseason to 22nd now. Says there are concerns about him sticking in center, but he should be a good player at any position.

Just a little jab with a dull knife Sano was 8th I think.......what could have been.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

For all of the plaudits the St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Twins' farm systems receive, one longtime scout insists neither has the best cache of prospects around."It's the Pirates," he said. "And I'm not sure it's close."

Drive by on our top prospects, much love for Glasnow.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Y! SPORTS

For all of the plaudits the St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Twins' farm systems receive, one longtime scout insists neither has the best cache of prospects around."It's the Pirates," he said. "And I'm not sure it's close."

Drive by on our top prospects, much love for Glasnow.

I just read that article, thought it was pretty good, but the writer left out a lot. Low A WV has 6 players named to the ASG, High A has 3. Truth be told with how many prospects we have right now that are putting up good showings I don't see how there could be a system close to us. Right now as we sit, I would be hard pressed to make a list of 10 that included Luis Heredia, and he could be #1 on a lot of systems. We have 3 of Keith Law's top 25 prospects, no other team has more than 2 and a lot of teams have none.

That being said, most of our prospects are still in the low minors and have a long way to go before I get overly excited about their chances to be major league baseball players.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally healthy, outfield prospect Bell proving to be a hit | TribLIVE

Well good to see Josh Bell making progress.
The telling thing to me in this article is the comment by Merced "Bell has a few more holes in his swing than fellow prospect Stetson Allie"

I would have hoped it would have been the other way around but probably due to being a switch hitter?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Polanco was promoted to Altoona today. Odd that they are promoting players right before the All Star Break instead of after.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Polanco was promoted to Altoona today. Odd that they are promoting players right before the All Star Break instead of after.

We need some position players at he MLB level, or people performing at higher levels of minors that are young to be goo trade chips to get a bat.

we have plenty of pitching, but too many guys that are just average when you put all their stuff together. most of our MLB players are young and have good ceilings, but we need some help on offense.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see for Polanco, he seems to have an advanced approach, but this is a huge jump for him.