• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospect Stuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My evaluations from the videos.

Glasnow's fastball really explodes out of his hand. Wow. And his curve looks filthy, but apparently his command of that pitch isn't amazing. In any case, there's clearly a lot of talent there, and with polish, he should be a top of the rotation pitcher.

I actually like a healthy Taillon's pure stuff better than Glasnow's. His fastball has more life and his curveball looks sharper. But there's an obvious concern after the TJ.

Holy crap, Josh Bell's hands are quick. No wonder he hit so well last year and projects as well as he does. His swing is quiet and simple, but there's clearly a lot of force behind it, too. He doesn't need to launch into the ball to drive it, and that will help him deal with Major League breaking balls, I think.

McGuire makes catching look easy in every video I've seen of him, but this one only has one defensive clip, and it shows how quick he is to pop up and throw. His swing isn't great, though. Decently short path to the ball, looks like he could be a good low-ball hitter, but his hands aren't especially quick. Hopefully that will come as he grows and continues to fill out a bit.

Kingham appears to be able to put the ball wherever he wants to, which is good, because his fastball doesn't look super live.

Tucker is still a lanky dude. He'll need to fill out a lot to make the Majors, but I'm sure that'll happen. His swing is all legs, which is fine, and if he can be consistent hitting the ball with that much of his body so involved in every cut, he won't have to risk bulking up too much and have to be moved off of short to become a productive hitter. Looks a little more comfortable from the right side than the left, which is unusual for a switch hitter, as I understand it.

Bonus: Diaz catching Glasnow, I can see why the Pirates are high on him. He seems to receive pretty well, and that snap throw was a bullet. I was especially impressed with the way he caught the strike-three breaking ball, starting his glove low so he didn't have to dive out of the zone when he caught it.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see Mitch Keller in there, and no Diaz, but I know BA likes to stress upside more than anything.

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also surprised to be Keller. I love looking at that top 10. Came a long way since 2010:

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
2. Jose Tabata, of
3. Tony Sanchez, c
4. Brad Lincoln, rhp
5. Chase D'Arnaud, ss/2b
6. Starling Marte, of
7. Tim Alderson, rhp
8. Zack Von Rosenberg, rhp
9. Rudy Owens, lhp
10. Gorkys Hernandez, of

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite too, he really knocks down Tommy John guys way more than anyone else, but he does it to everyone.

We have lost most of our firepower at the top, but we have a ton of breakout possibilities.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite too, he really knocks down Tommy John guys way more than anyone else, but he does it to everyone.

We have lost most of our firepower at the top, but we have a ton of breakout possibilities.

Lots of depth to the system for sure. Most of the C+ guys he has are in the low minors, and he actually said he rates guys in the low minors lower just because of the higher uncertainty, even if their ceilings are high. Tucker, Keller, etc. could rise to B-level prospects as early as 2015.

In the comments, he also said he'd probably put the Pirates' system about 5th in baseball. Buster Olney ranked the Major League squad 5th in his rankings. The Pirates are looking good now and in the future. It's a nice change.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, MLB Pipeline named Josh Bell the #1 first base prospect in all of baseball. I can't wait to see what that kid can do at the Major League level. :nod:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I must've been sleeping...but when did they move Bell to 1B?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like I must've been sleeping...but when did they move Bell to 1B?

Arizona Fall League. There was talk after he moved to Altoona, but they didn't actually move him permanently until Arizona. It should be interesting because I believe that Allie needs another year at Altoona, and he is limited to first base, and they want to have Bell play first base exclusively. However, I guess if they feel Allie doesn't really have a shot at MLB, he could be moved to third or even moved up to Indy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Fall League. There was talk after he moved to Altoona, but they didn't actually move him permanently until Arizona. It should be interesting because I believe that Allie needs another year at Altoona, and he is limited to first base, and they want to have Bell play first base exclusively. However, I guess if they feel Allie doesn't really have a shot at MLB, he could be moved to third or even moved up to Indy.

They might think Allie simply is what he is, and that he just needs to keep being that against better competition if he's going to make it, and I'm not so sure they're wrong.

Of course, we're not especially deep at the corners, so they might want Allie to play some third anyway so he's more versatile if he ever gets the call.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotcha, figured it had to be relatively recent. Man...I'm really pumped for him to make it to the bigs. I wonder what the Pirates are planning in regard to 1B in the MLB. The OF is set for the foreseeable future, the IF not so much. Do they move Walker to 1B? I tend to think if they're keeping Neil, it's there.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotcha, figured it had to be relatively recent. Man...I'm really pumped for him to make it to the bigs. I wonder what the Pirates are planning in regard to 1B in the MLB. The OF is set for the foreseeable future, the IF not so much. Do they move Walker to 1B? I tend to think if they're keeping Neil, it's there.

There really isn't much reason to keep Walker past his last arb year. He will be 32, and moving out of his prime, and he is hurt every year anyway. Barring any major setbacks, both Hanson and Bell should be manning the right side of the infield. Our only significant weak area would be thirdand I am not sure he would have the reflexes to man that position by then. Depending on how Kang plays, Walker could be a significant trade chip by entering his walk year. It is my personal opinion that Walker feels as though he hasn't been treated fairly by Huntington since he wasn't drafted by him and wasn't approached sooner with an extention. I also don't feel as though Huntington has a very high opinion of Walker because Walker plays a less than premium defensive position and isn't overly good at it. They both seem to say all the right stuff, but I believe that they both secretly hope to be free of each other. Just my opinion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't much reason to keep Walker past his last arb year. He will be 32, and moving out of his prime, and he is hurt every year anyway. Barring any major setbacks, both Hanson and Bell should be manning the right side of the infield. Our only significant weak area would be thirdand I am not sure he would have the reflexes to man that position by then. Depending on how Kang plays, Walker could be a significant trade chip by entering his walk year. It is my personal opinion that Walker feels as though he hasn't been treated fairly by Huntington since he wasn't drafted by him and wasn't approached sooner with an extention. I also don't feel as though Huntington has a very high opinion of Walker because Walker plays a less than premium defensive position and isn't overly good at it. They both seem to say all the right stuff, but I believe that they both secretly hope to be free of each other. Just my opinion.

If Walker has to move to first base, he's not worth keeping. He's simply not good enough offensively, and I fully expect Bell to outperform him by as early as next year with the bat. Hanson is much better defensively at second (so is Harrison, and it wouldn't surprise me if Kang is as well). I think we should try to trade both Neil and Pedro next winter, especially if they both have good seasons, as the return could be solid.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to give Neil more slack than I should...because I romanticize the idea of him winning a WS with this team. It's the Yinzer in me.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Allie will be in Indy. He was exposed to the rule 5 draft. Nobody took him, but time is running out to find out whether he's a prospect or not.

I think that a lot of fans are sleeping on him, personally. He still has some concerning SO rates but they've actually been getting better as he goes up. The second half of 2014 wasn't half bad.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allie will be in Indy. He was exposed to the rule 5 draft. Nobody took him, but time is running out to find out whether he's a prospect or not.

I think that a lot of fans are sleeping on him, personally. He still has some concerning SO rates but they've actually been getting better as he goes up. The second half of 2014 wasn't half bad.

I kind of like him in Hart's role in 2016. Could be some nice instant-offense potential off the bench. I don't think he'll ever be a starter, but having a guy who can put one 450 feet away from home plate like it's nothing on your bench could be pretty useful.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being hurt is a legitimate concern, especially as a guy enters his 30's.

If this team really wants to keep Cutch long term, and I suspect they do, NW is exactly the type of guy you have to let go.