• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players you think should be in HOF but aren't

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll start.

Kevin Johnson (Phoenix Suns) - Injuries somewhat derailed his career later on, but he was beastly when he was young. He really laid the foundation for the Barkley-led Suns teams of the mid-90's.

Randy Smith (Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers) - A former 7th round pick that gets little recognition given that Buffalo hasn't had a team in over 40 years. Went 10 full seasons without missing a game. Was one the the first NBA players to make a three in consecutive games (In 1979 that was an accomplishment). R.I.P.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Dirk, Wade, Parker and Pau get in?

Not sure how they pick women and coaches, so I'll leave that for someone else.

They've done a pretty good job with players to date IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll start.

Kevin Johnson (Phoenix Suns) - Injuries somewhat derailed his career later on, but he was beastly when he was young. He really laid the foundation for the Barkley-led Suns teams of the mid-90's.

Randy Smith (Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers) - A former 7th round pick that gets little recognition given that Buffalo hasn't had a team in over 40 years. Went 10 full seasons without missing a game. Was one the the first NBA players to make a three in consecutive games (In 1979 that was an accomplishment). R.I.P.

I will be honest here.

If you are putting Randy Smith and KJ in the HOF, that is pretty low bar.

Combined 5 all star appearances between them.

Only way a player with that resume gets in is if they played on a multi-title winner.

Hard pass on those 2.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest here.

If you are putting Randy Smith and KJ in the HOF, that is pretty low bar.

Combined 5 all star appearances between them.

Only way a player with that resume gets in is if they played on a multi-title winner.

Hard pass on those 2.
I think too many on here are obsessed with titles and use them in large part to validate themselves as fans. One has to dig a little deeper than that.

Derrick Rose is likely to get in for his early career work, so why not KJ? His play translated to more team success than Rose and in a much more physical NBA.

FWIW, I think Fat Lever was too much an empty stats guy and Alvin Robertson, while he had swag, falls under "Hall of Very Good" to me...

I respect those opinions, though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think too many on here are obsessed with titles and use them in large part to validate themselves as fans. One has to dig a little deeper than that.

Derrick Rose is likely to get in for his early career work, so why not KJ? His play translated to more team success than Rose and in a much more physical NBA.

FWIW, I think Fat Lever was too much an empty stats guy and Alvin Robertson, while he had swag, falls under "Hall of Very Good" to me...

Derrick Rose was an MVP.

And he isn’t likely to get in at all.

In fact, the HOF probability tracker has him at 11%, below guys like Rudy Gobert, Kemba Walker, Andre Iguodala and AL Horford.

It isn’t me who is obsessed with titles, it is the way pundits value the players.

And it makes sense. Players on championship teams garner more attention and therefor become more famous (Hall of Fame).

That is why Draymond Green is 7.5 times more likely to make it than Karl Anthony Townes despite Townes posting drastically superior stats.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derrick Rose was an MVP.

In fact, the HOF probability tracker has him at 11%, below guys like Rudy Gobert, Kemba Walker, Andre Iguodala and AL Horford.

It isn’t me who is obsessed with titles, it is the way pundits value the players.

And it makes sense. Players on championship teams garner more attention and therefor become more famous (Hall of Fame).

That is why Draymond Green is 7.5 times more likely to make it than Karl Anthony Townes despite Townes posting drastically superior stats.

When I read his comment that D. Rose is "likely to get in because of his early work" all I could do is this- :L.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"I think"

When you gonna learn when you try to do that all you do is get yourself in trouble?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derrick Rose was an MVP.

I think Minnesota should trade Towns right now while his contract is still movable, but that’s beside the point.

Consistent success should be more valuable that’s being in the right place at the right time on the right team. Ten straight seasons of not missing a game (Randy Smith) in the rugged 70’s should be undoubtedly be more valuable than anything Iguodala has accomplished.

Basketball Reference numbers can be skewed at times. I think you’d be surprised how many supporters Derrick Rose has…

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Minnesota should trade Towns right now while his contract is still movable, but that’s beside the point.

Consistent success should be more valuable that’s being in the right place at the right time on the right team. Ten straight seasons of not missing a game (Randy Smith) in the rugged 70’s should be undoubtedly be more valuable than anything Iguodala has accomplished.

Basketball Reference numbers can be skewed at times. I think you’d be surprised how many supporters Derrick Rose has…

I agree on Townes needing a trade.

That is fine, but that isn’t how these things work. The HOF isn’t for the best players necessarily, but the guys who are literally the most famous. Players/coaches who the league can market successfully.

Draymond is a lock for the HOF because he has been a key cog on a team who won 4 titles AND he will surely be a big media personality once his players days are over.

What has Kevin Johnson done aside from post all star quality numbers for a few seasons?

There are many ways to contribute to an HOF resume. Draymond checks a lot of boxes.

Randy Smith, frankly just doesn’t get there.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So a site that only lists players stats is somehow skewed at times?

You gotta explain.

And here are some reasons why D. Rose isn't a HOFer.

-he hasn't even scored 13,000 points in his career

-he's a PG that hasn't even dished out 4,000 assist

-696 games played, only 528 steals

-only 3 all star trips (all in his first 4 seasons) in 16 seasons

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a site that only lists players stats is somehow skewed at times?

You gotta explain.

And here are some reasons why D. Rose isn't a HOFer.

-he hasn't even scored 13,000 points in his career

-he's a PG that hasn't even dished out 4,000 assist

-696 games played, only 528 steals

-only 3 all star trips (all in his first 4 seasons) in 16 seasons
Look at Chris Webber’s chances percentage-wise on Basketball Reference. He got in, and deservedly so.

I personally would not put Derrick Rose in. But, many in the Chicago market will be calling for it since he won MVP and led his team to 60+ wins in a season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Chris Webber’s chances percentage-wise on Basketball Reference. He got in, and deservedly so.

I personally would not put Derrick Rose in. But, many in the Chicago market will be calling for it since he won MVP and led his team to 60+ wins in a season.

You drunk right now?

Rose ain't getting into the HOF. So stop thinking he has a chance.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is fine, but that isn’t how these things work. The HOF isn’t for the best players necessarily, but the guys who are literally the most famous. Players/coaches who the league can market successfully.

Draymond is a lock for the HOF because he has been a key cog on a team who won 4 titles AND he will surely be a big media personality once his players days are over.

What has Kevin Johnson done aside from post all star quality numbers for a few seasons?

There are many ways to contribute to an HOF resume. Draymond checks a lot of boxes.

I’m not even going to comment on Draymond because obviously I am biased there. But if you can’t see the impact the two players I mentioned had on the game then I don’t know how else to help you. We’re really going to take that many points away from KJ simply because he couldn’t beat Jordan in the finals?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So…

Chicago homers?

Sure.

I think it is generally bad practice to take opinions of home town fans and project them onto the greater NBA landscape.

Most HOF ballots aren’t from Chicago.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not even going to comment on Draymond because obviously I am biased there. But if you can’t see the impact the two players I mentioned had on the game then I don’t know how else to help you. We’re really going to take that many points away from KJ simply because he couldn’t beat Jordan in the finals?

If KJ had been the 3rd option on the Bulls?

He would be a lock too.

Beating MJ once wouldn’t have been enough for a 3 time all star who wasn’t the best player on his team in their line Finals trip.

Beating MJ 2-3 times might have done it.

But that didn’t happen.

I have not said anything about these guys not being impactful.

I have said they aren’t famous enough.

That is why they don’t belong in the Hall of Fame.

Otherwise, it would be called the Hall of Impact.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KJ had been the 3rd option on the Bulls?

He would be a lock too.

Beating MJ once wouldn’t have been enough for a 3 time all star who wasn’t the best player on his team in their line Finals trip.

Beating MJ 2-3 times might have done it.

But that didn’t happen.

I have not said anything about these guys not being impactful.

I have said they aren’t famous enough.

That is why they don’t belong in the Hall of Fame.

Otherwise, it would be called the Hall of Impact.
I get your “Hall of Impact” argument. But KJ was, in fact, the Suns second-best player behind Barkley. To put Draymond in (GS 4th-best player for much of their run) over him is cringeworthy.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm honestly with @HurricaneDij39 on this one. KJ only had 3 all star appearances but he was all-nba 5 times in 12 years. He had that injury right at 30 that caused him to retire for a season.

He's every bit deserving of consideration as a guy like Marques Johnson who's been on the fringe.

One guy I hope eventually gets the nod is Dwight Howard. People seem to forget how dominant of a player he was.