• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HurricaneDij's Annual Top 50 NBA Players List (Year 10)

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2017-8-15_0-51-6.jpeg

*Last year's ranking in parenthesis.

1) LeBron James, SF, Cleveland Cavaliers (1) - Even though the Cavs won a pedestrian 51 games last season, LeBron arguably had the best statistical season of his career at age 32. At this point, I'm banking on two more prime seasons from LBJ, because frankly I'm tired of betting against him. Just try and go easy on the GOAT talk and comparisons and appreciate the player he is today while he's still playing. Easier said than done, I know.

2) Russell Westbrook, PG, Oklahoma City Thunder (3) - Yes, I know that most folks won't have him this high, but the reason he's at this spot for me is his impact on his team. Last season, OKC was 33-9 when Russ scored a triple double, and 14-26 when he didn't. That's quite a disparity right there. The mediocre FG percentage was a byproduct of having to attempt more threes in the wake of Durant's departure, and while three-point shooting is never one of Westbrook's strengths, he even shot a career-high from there (34.3 percent) with those added attempts. As TNT analyst Charles Barkley once said, you do not love basketball if you don't love Westbrook.

3) Kevin Durant, SF, Golden State Warriors
(5) - To me, he's the Mike Pence of the NBA. He may say all the right things in public, but the truth is that he's got "frontrunner" in his DNA. I, for one, was not naive enough to jump on his bandwagon back in 2010 during the whole "Decision" backlash against LeBron James, for Durant himself has always been kind of a hype-driven asshole. That being said, the move to Golden State did wonders for his defense and his ability to play off the ball, and for those reasons I move him up two spots from last year. Still, as one CBSSports poster famously put it in the comments section of an article - Durant would be seeing double and sometimes triple coverage if he were on literally any other team that did not include the splash brothers. #koward

4) Kawhi Leonard, SF, San Antonio Spurs (4) - Still the game's best two-way player. If there is one downside here, it's that his game has become increasingly iso-heavy over the years and it's starting to limit the effectiveness of his teammates a little bit. That's not to say that Kawhi is selfish or a ballhog by any stretch, but for those that are inclined to giveKawhi "extra credit" for having "less-than MVP stats" in favor of being more of a "team guy", well, his profile takes an ever-so slight hit in that regard as well.

5) Stephen Curry, PG, Golden State Warriors
(2) - The two-time MVP sacrificed a few regular season numbers for better, healthier production in the NBA Finals, a trade-off I'm sure Steph will gladly take.

6) James Harden, SG, Houston Rockets
(9) - The longtime ballhog led the league in assists last season in Mike D'Antoni's offense (11.2 per game). He also broke the NBA record for turnovers in a season, but given his impact on the Rockets as a team, can anyone really complain too much?

7) Giannis Antetokounmpo, G/F, Milwaukee Bucks
(25) - A consistent three-point shot (he shot 27.2 percent from there last season) is the only hurdle that separates the Greek Freak from superstardom. He took a mediocre supporting cast to the playoffs last season, a supporting cast that was missing Middleton and Parker for big chunks of the season, and not at the same time.

8) John Wall, PG, Washington Wizards (15) - Enjoyed a 2016-17 campaign in which he posted career highs in points per game (23.1), assists per game (10.7), and FG percentage (45.1). If Wall is pissed that Paul George has a higher 2K rating than him - He has every right to be, because Wall has had a greater impact on the Wizards franchise than George has had on the Pacers.

9) Isaiah Thomas, PG, Boston Celtics (36) - Continues to prove his doubters wrong every year, for last year at this time I claimed he wasn't a franchise-level player even if he was an elite scorer. Not only did I.T. average a career-high with 28.9 points per game, he also led the Celtics to the #1 seed in the eastern conference.

10) Chris Paul, PG, Houston Rockets (8) - The league's best pure point guard (still) is showing no signs of slowing down. The thought of Paul running Mike D'Antoni's offense is a scary one, assuming he could mesh with new backcourt mate James Harden.

11) Damian Lillard, PG, Portland Trail Blazers
(11) - Brought the Blazers back from a 23-33 record at one 2016-17 juncture into a return trip to the playoffs in a difficult western conference, with his elite scoring (27 points per game) and clutch play playing no small part in his team's second half surge.

12) Klay Thompson, SG, Golden State Warriors
(22) - Consider this one a "lesson learned". I can't stand the guy. A little too cocky for my tastes, and you got to believe that seeing Klay's armpit hair in the photo above makes me throw up in my mouth a bit, but his scoring production (22.3 points per game) actually went up with the arrival of Kevin Durant, as his off-the-ball abilities proved to be a perfect fit on such a star-studded team, and he's no slouch on the other end of the court either.

13) Jimmy Butler, G/F, Minnesota Timberwolves (16) - It’s not that he doesn’t give his all on both ends of the court. It’s not that he isn’t clutch. It’s not that he didn’t work his ass off to become the player he is today. However, it’s the question of whether or not Butler is a good locker room guy that prevents him from getting the respect of a true superstar, for he has thrown numerous teammates and coaches under the bus with the media during his last two seasons in Chicago. Try making guys around you better, Jimmy. Now in Minnesota, he has the opportunity of a lifetime to try and end the league’s current largest playoff drought. He certainly has the talent around him to get it done.

14) Paul George, SF, Oklahoma City Thunder (6) - So Me-G13 "thought" he was doing the Pacers a favor by asking out early with a year left on his deal. One has got to ask which George is for real - Is it the malcontent one through the first half of the season when he blamed his surroundings for all of his losing, or is it the George that played with a chip on his shoulder late (28.8 points, 7.6 rebounds, 51.4% FG shooting after March 1) as if he was playing for a new contract? One thing is for sure - He is going to have to accept any role given to him in OKC, because he won't win any popularity contests against Russell Westbrook. A role as a #2 scorer on a true contender might be a more natural one anyway.

15) Kyrie Irving, PG, Cleveland Cavaliers (10) - His defense remains a liability, but he quietly averaged a career high 25.2 points per game last season. Now he's said to want out of Cleveland. Given the beaten-to-death culture that comes with a LeBron James-team where MeBron get all the credit when they win and his surroundings receive all of the blame when they lose, could anyone really blame Irving for wanting out?

16) Anthony Davis, PF, New Orleans Pelicans (7) - Don't let this low ranking fool you: I love me some Anthony Davis. However, a player of his caliber should be averaging more assists regardless of position, and it is the #1 reason why his teams haven't won at this level. It's not that his attitude is holding him back; It's merely a fundamental flaw to his game that he needs to continue to work on. His career average of 1.8 assists per game is downright embarrassing for a player of his talent and pedigree. It was good to see him last in 75 games during the 2016-17 season.

17) Karl-Anthony Towns, C/F, Minnesota Timberwolves
(17) - Not too many NBA players average 25 points and 12 rebounds in a given season like Towns did, and likewise, not too many players who average 25 and 12 miss the playoffs that same season. Like Anthony Davis, it's a matter of making players around him better for Towns, and unlike Davis, he has a few more years to make good on his fullest potential.

18) Draymond Green, PF, Golden State Warriors (13) - The league's #1 agitator continues to fill up the stat sheet in unique ways, averaging 10.2 points, 7.9 rebounds, 7.0 assists, and led the league with 2.0 steals per game in 2016-17.

19) Rudy Gobert, C, Utah Jazz (NR) - My pick for Defensive Player of the Year, Gobert made major strides offensively in 2016-17 and will carry an even greater burden in 2017-18 with Gordon Hayward gone.

20) DeMar DeRozan, SG, Toronto Raptors
(21) - Yes, he disappeared in those two playoff games in Cleveland (when his team perhaps needed him most), but he broke out in a big way last season and still does not get the credit he deserves as an elite-level scorer (27.3 points per game). Where's the love, man?

21) DeMarcus Cousins, C, New Orleans Pelicans
(18) - Averaged 24.4 points, 12.4 rebounds, and 3.9 assists per game in 17 games after his trade to New Orleans. We'll just see how a twin towers style works in the modern NBA, but I think it's far more likely that Boogie is the type of player that's going to need a designed system and culture in order to have success in the league, such as the Spurs.

22) Gordon Hayward, G/F, Boston Celtics (30) - 2017 may go down as "the summer of Gordon Hayward" and he takes enormous scoring pressure off of Isaiah Thomas, but he does not help fill Boston's need for rebounding and rim protection and therefore, will not help a great deal against the Cavs.

23) Nikola Jokic, C, Denver Nuggets (NR) - Put up superstar-like numbers once he was inserted into Denver's starting lineup, averaging 19.8 points, 11.2 rebounds, and 5.8 assists per game after Christmas. A bit undersized at center at 6-10, his next tasks include limiting his fouls and spreading the floor with Paul Millsap coming in. Improving his three-point shooting, which has promise, will be key.

24) Blake Griffin, PF, Los Angeles Clippers (14) - His career averages of 21.5 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 4.1 assists per game show that he could and should be ranked much higher than this if it weren't for stupid injuries the last two seasons.

25) Kemba Walker, PG, Charlotte Hornets (28) - Really, this spot is too low for him. Perhaps the most underrated player in the NBA, Kemba would be in the discussion as one of the game's top five point guards if he ever won a playoff series. FG shooting was his big weakness, and Walker shot a steady 44.4 percent for his 23.2 points per game. Now he pairs with a legit big man in Dwight Howard.

26) Kyle Lowry, PG, Toronto Raptors (24) - Proved a few naysayers wrong and averaged a career high in scoring for the second consecutive season at age 31, but as always, he underwhelmed in the playoffs, and one has to be wary of the downward spiral of his career that could start at any instant.​

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
27) Bradley Beal, SG, Washington Wizards (44) - The former #3 overall pick is finally staring to make good on his potential, as he averaged 23.1 points per game last season. Along with superstar teammate John Wall, he looks to help lead the Wiz to a possible appearance in the NBA Finals in the next couple seasons.

28) Paul Millsap, PF, Denver Nuggets (23) - The move to Denver should help him save his legs as he ages given their vast frontcourt depth, which may or may not include Kenneth Faried. Slightly fewer minutes in exchange for playing a faster pace in the high altitude, his numbers should hold right around steady for the upcoming season.

29) Kevin Love, PF Cleveland Cavaliers (32) - Finally had started to fully mesh with LeBron and company in his third season with the Cavs (19.0 points, 11.1 rebounds per game), but he always seems to be on the trade block every summer in large part due to his subpar defense. Though it is not entirely Love's fault, Cleveland was ranked in the bottom third in the NBA in total defense last season.

30) Mike Conley, PG, Memphis Grizzlies (49) - Came off the record contract signing the previous offseason. Surprised some folks and actually had a career year with averages of 20.5 points and 6.3 assists per game. Memphis still won a pedestrian 43 games in spite of Conley's big season and in the western conference, this may be as good as it is going to get. Still a little injury-prone.

31) Marc Gasol, C, Memphis Grizzlies (31) - Preserved his body more in 2016-17 by adding a three-point shot to his reportiore (104 of 268) while sacrificing a few rebounds (6.3 per game). All in all, one has to fell bad for David Fizdale, a young and energetic head coach having been saddled with such an aging, stale, lifeless roster.

32) Goran Dragic, PG, Miami Heat (41) - As expected, had his best season with the Heat in the wake of Wade's departure (20.3 points, 5.8 assists, and 3.8 rebounds per game) and was the team's clear #1 option. But as always, there is that short, simple, yet oh so complicated question that comes with a player coming off an unlikely career year at age 30 - What's next?

33) C.J. McCollum, SG, Portland Trail Blazers (27) - Continued to increase his scoring output in 2016-17 (23 PPG) as he and Lillard continue to form one of the league's best backcourts. His mediocre defense, however, will not help Portlan'd cause in a deep conference.

34) LaMarcus Aldridge, PF, San Antonio Spurs
(12) - Did not step up against Golden State after Kawhi went down. There was times last season when you didn't notice him in games. Maybe he falls under the category of "silent contributor", but it's looking at this point as if he might be starting to feel his age (32).

35) Hassan Whiteside, C, Miami Heat (34) - A true stat-plodder (17.0 points, 14.1 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks per game). Seems to have settled in as a #2 option on a borderline playoff team. At 28, it's fair to ask the question if there's really any more upside to mine here.

36) Carmelo Anthony, F, New York Knicks (19) - He is what he is at this point - An aging, lukewarm scorer that struggles on defense, and someone who I fully expect to drop from this list next year at this time. Just don't let the brand name influence where you value him in player rankings fantasy basketball, trade negotiations, etc. His contract has left the Knicks in limbo all summer long, and really, it could be argued that he needed a change of scenery two years ago. There's not a whole lot to see here, folks.

37) DeAndre Jordan, C, Los Angeles Clippers
(29) - Still a top-notch rim protector, but Chris Paul's departure has got to be a concern for his offensive game. Assuming his offensive production does in fact fluctuate, you've got to figure that he'll be out the door when he hits free agency and that he''l be able to pick his destination this time around.

38) Dennis Schroder, PG, Atlanta Hawks (40) - We knew he was primed for a breakout year in 2016-17 when he was finally inserted as the undisputed starter, but what we didn't expect was how efficient he was in doing so. However, Now that Atlanta has gutted its roster, expect an uptick in scoring and a significant downtick in efficiency.

39) Al Horford, C, Boston Celtics (33) - Averaged a career-high five assists per game last season. Outside of that, his numbers are extremely ordinary for a big man. He's 1-16 in career playoff games against LeBron James. That's not a coincidence, folks.

40) Devin Booker, SG, Phoenix Suns
(NR) - I still love his potential to possibly be a better version of Ray Allen and I expect him to continue to mature with age, but at this point he falls under the Andrew Wiggins category of "box score star" and hasn't really elevated the Suns as a franchise. And for all the talk of his great shooting mechanics, his career mark of 35.4 percent from three-point range is rather pedestrian.

41) Kristaps Porzingis, PF, New York Knicks (NR) - The fact that he's a 7-3 power forward shows just how far our game has evolved over the years. Showed signs of breaking out last season but was inconsistent overall. May need a Carmelo trade if he's going to reach All-Star status in the near future, in spite of the fact that he endorsed Carmelo Anthony's return to the Knicks next season. The 2015 draft pundits still had it right on the money in that only Karl-Anthony Towns had more long-term upside from that draft than does Porzingis.

42) Dwight Howard, C, Charlotte Hornets
(26) - Say what you want about his declining offensive production and skill set, but he posted his best rebounding rate of his career last year (over 15 boards per 36 minutes last season) and remains a solid rim protector. Still arguably the best center in the east, Dwight now reunites with his former assistant coach from his Orlando and Laker days in Steve Clifford, and will have the post all to himself once again in Charlotte.

43) Andre Drummond, C, Detroit Pistons
(20) - Still a stout defender and rebounder, but his clunky offensive game is killing both he and the Pistons, especially for that contract. His career is at the crossroads, and now it's his turn to respond.

44) Andrew Wiggins, G/F, Minnesota Timberwolves
(38) - He's young (22), plays solid defense, averaged a career high in scoring (23.6 PPG), and now he thinks he's worthy of a max contact. Everything's all fine and dandy here, right? Well, he still has to prove he can be part of a winning culture with Jimmy Butler coming in. The two could prove to be a great defensive combo at the wing positions but it's how they mesh offensively that may prove to be the most crucial in the modern NBA.

45) Eric Gordon, SG, Houston Rockets
(NR) - The reigning Sixth Man of the Year is absolutely worthy of making this list. Finally having found a stable place in our league, the former lottery pick connected on 246 three-pointers last season.

46) Harrison Barnes, SF, Dallas Mavericks (NR) - Proved that he was more than just a product of his all-star surroundings from his Golden State days, as Barnes flirted with a 20 PPG scoring average all season long during his first year with the Mavs. Now he pairs up with a dynamic young rookie point guard in Dennis Smith Jr.

47) Eric Bledsoe, PG, Phoenix Suns (45) - One of the more underrated players in the game actually had one of his best seasons last year, averaging 21.1 points, 6.3 assists, and 4.8 rebounds per game. But, as always, he missed a chuck of time due to injury. With Devin Booker clearly having taken over the reigns in Phoenix, he may need a trade in order to get where he truly needs to be in this league.

48) Jrue Holiday, PG, New Orleans Pelicans
(NR) - His new contract is a little eye-opening, but he finally proved healthy for the first time in years and was a solid, albeit unspectacular option at the point. Averaged 15.4 points and 7.3 assists per game last season.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49) Jeff Teague, PG, Minnesota Timberwolves (47) - Here's my favorite stat of the 2016-17 season: Teague actually averaged more free throw attempts per game last season than teammate Paul George. However, that may more reflective on PC13's "blame the world like a teenage girl" approach more than it is on Teague. Now Teague gets a fresh start in the aftermath of that soap opera in his home state, and in Minnesota, he'll be given the tasks of initiating ball-movement and outside shooting on what could prove to be an extreme iso-heavy ballclub under Thibs.

50) Khris Middleton, G/F Milwaukee Bucks
(NR) - True story - I had Middleton ranked #25 on my list last year before it was announced that hamstring surgery would keep him out most of the season. A favorite of mine, he's a rare glue-guy player with pure scoring instincts. One would assume coming off a major leg injury that he would be extremely three-happy upon return. That was not the case, however, as Middleton was able to ease his way back while limiting his three point-attempts, averaging 14.7 points per game. I expect him to continue to do good things next to Giannis, assuming he isn't traded in a package for Kyrie Irving.

Honorable Mention: Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Nicolas Batum, Evan Fournier, Otto Porter, Dwyane Wade, Reggie Jackson, Myles Turner, Victor Oladipo, Gary Harris, Jusuf Nurkic, Ricky Rubio, Lonzo Ball, Zach Randolph.

2017-18 Award Predictions
:

MVP: John Wall, Washington

Rookie of the Year: Lonzo Ball, L.A. Lakers

Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert, Utah

Coach of the Year: Steve Clifford, Charlotte

2018 NBA Champions: Golden State (shocker, I know…)

2018 Finals MVP: Klay Thompson

I will not make a list of breakout candidates this year considering that I whiffed badly on my picks from last year (namely Stanley Johnson, Solomon Hill, and Bobby Portis), so instead I’ll flash a clip of future All-Star Nikola Jokic of my Denver Nuggets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Ajz4UQQ6E

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only on SportsHoopla could my Norn Nixon thread generate more responses than this one.

I wonder why that is.:doh:

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more upside to Whiteside. Just an FYI

Finally! A quality response to an actual basketball thread...

Just curious from a Miami perspective what you think that upside is. You think he has any upside as a mid-range shooter or passer?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid list. I would have a few players higher and a few players low, but nothing egregious with this list, imo. Couple of players I might have included on the list in place of a few others would be:

Avery Bradley - still an all world defender and really solid offensive player. Think he's still better and will produce more than guys like Jeff Teague and Eric Gordon
Jusef Nurkic - We saw what a difference he made on Portland. If he's healthy, he's going to put up huge numbers as the counter to the perimeter offense provided by Dame and CJ.

Since you elected not to post your breakout picks, here are mine:

1) Brandon Ingram - Played really well down the stretch as he got more comfortable in the system. He put on some muscle which helps, but I think the addition of Lonzo helps him immensely. He'll have easier opportunities and I think we'll see his game develop a lot this year. He should be a focal point of the offense.

2) D'Angelo Russell - New scenery, bad team, freedom to make mistakes. He'll have every chance to develop into the player he was thought to be. I think he'll do quite well there and we'll see him take a big leap forward. He has all the tools, he just needs to put it together.

3) Willie Cauley-Stein - Played extremely well in the last few weeks of the season. The Kings are rebuilding around their youth and WCS looks to be a focal point. I see him posting close to a double double this year.

4) Gary Harris, Jr. - With Gallo gone, it opens up more scoring opportunity for him. They still have a glut of guards on the Nuggets, but Harris should be able to separate himself and up his scoring average in the process. It's also a contract year, so he'll have all the motivation he needs.

5) Thon Maker - With Parker going to miss significant time, it opens up minutes for Thon right away. Last year he went from a novelty on the bench to productive role player. We saw him even become relied upon at certain times too. With Monroe, Hawes and Parker all set to be free agents next year, I think the Bucks give him a real shot to not only carve a role but flourish. Also helps that he's one of the few guys on the team with a good 3 point shot and will help with the Bucks lack of shooting.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally! A quality response to an actual basketball thread...

Just curious from a Miami perspective what you think that upside is. You think he has any upside as a mid-range shooter or passer?

Mid-range shooting IMO. He does make it from time to time so if he works on it, I feel like it can be more consistent. Passing would be nice but i think mid-range shooting is where we see him improve this year.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked up WCS numbers from last year. His last 10 games here was his numbers:

29 MPG, 12.7 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.6 BPG, 51.4% FG, 75% FT

Really solid production. I think he could produce a stat line similar next year. He'll need to up his defensive numbers, which I think he will considering he was known as a defensive presence coming out of college.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only on SportsHoopla could my Norn Nixon thread generate more responses than this one.

I wonder why that is.:doh:

Probably because the nature of your post was inflammatory and created to stir up anger.

I could start a thread about Lebron or Kobe and have 100 replies within a day or two, but I choose not to because I feel it's better served having actual basketball discussion rather than bashing players.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because the nature of your post was inflammatory and created to stir up anger.

I could start a thread about Lebron or Kobe and have 100 replies within a day or two, but I choose not to because I feel it's better served having actual basketball discussion rather than bashing players.

Funny thing is I didn't bash a single player in that said thread. LOL

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid list. I would have a few players higher and a few players low, but nothing egregious with this list, imo. Couple of players I might have included on the list in place of a few others would be:

Avery Bradley - still an all world defender and really solid offensive player. Think he's still better and will produce more than guys like Jeff Teague and Eric Gordon
Jusef Nurkic - We saw what a difference he made on Portland. If he's healthy, he's going to put up huge numbers as the counter to the perimeter offense provided by Dame and CJ.

Since you elected not to post your breakout picks, here are mine:

1) Brandon Ingram - Played really well down the stretch as he got more comfortable in the system. He put on some muscle which helps, but I think the addition of Lonzo helps him immensely. He'll have easier opportunities and I think we'll see his game develop a lot this year. He should be a focal point of the offense.

2) D'Angelo Russell - New scenery, bad team, freedom to make mistakes. He'll have every chance to develop into the player he was thought to be. I think he'll do quite well there and we'll see him take a big leap forward. He has all the tools, he just needs to put it together.

3) Willie Cauley-Stein - Played extremely well in the last few weeks of the season. The Kings are rebuilding around their youth and WCS looks to be a focal point. I see him posting close to a double double this year.

4) Gary Harris, Jr. - With Gallo gone, it opens up more scoring opportunity for him. They still have a glut of guards on the Nuggets, but Harris should be able to separate himself and up his scoring average in the process. It's also a contract year, so he'll have all the motivation he needs.

5) Thon Maker - With Parker going to miss significant time, it opens up minutes for Thon right away. Last year he went from a novelty on the bench to productive role player. We saw him even become relied upon at certain times too. With Monroe, Hawes and Parker all set to be free agents next year, I think the Bucks give him a real shot to not only carve a role but flourish. Also helps that he's one of the few guys on the team with a good 3 point shot and will help with the Bucks lack of shooting.

Major props to you, man. I know it was somewhat controversial to rank Westbrook ahead of Steph, KD, and Kawhi and glad you were able to take it in stride. Obviously I made a point the last two weeks to get this thing done before I begin classes for the first time in five years.

And you know I appreciate Gary Harris on your breakout list. The thing for me is, though, I didn't want to jinx him.

And for those numbskulls that don't think I have the audacity to admit I'm wrong or to see fault in myself, I give you the following quote:
I will not make a list of breakout candidates this year considering that I whiffed badly on my picks from last year (namely Stanley Johnson, Solomon Hill, and Bobby Portis), so instead I’ll flash a clip of future All-Star Nikola Jokic of my Denver Nuggets:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major props to you, man. I know it was somewhat controversial to rank Westbrook ahead of Steph, KD, and Kawhi and glad you were able to take it in stride. Obviously I made a point the last two weeks to get this thing done before I begin classes for the first time in five years.

And you know I appreciate Gary Harris on your breakout list. The thing for me is, though, I didn't want to jinx him.

And for those numbskulls that don't think I have the audacity to admit I'm wrong or to see fault in myself, I give you the following quote:

For me, I didn't have a problem with your list because you value statistical output into your rankings. So from that stand point, I can understand you putting Westbrook there, even though I wouldn't. If it were a true overall player ranking based on skill and value to their team, I wouldn't have him above KD, Kawhi and Steph. Steph is more arguable, but definitely not ahead of KD and Kawhi. I basically have the top 6 players (who I believe are clear cut) put into two separate tiers.

Tier 1:
Lebron
KD
Kawhi

Tier 2:
Steph
Westbrook
Harden

Within the tiers, however you wanted to argue they rank, I would be fine with in general.

I don't think IT is anywhere near top 10 player in the league, even factoring statistical output because of how much of a liability he is on defense. Top 20 is fine, top 15 maybe, top 10, no.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also was just curious about what I wrote with respects to your list last year. Here's what I found:

"Haven't fully scoured the list, appreciate the effort though. Few issues so far:

Ranking Klay as low as you did, is fine, that's your opinion of him, but there's no way he should be ranked below Derozan. Ever. Hell if Klay gets run on Team USA over Derozan who's basically the 11th man, that should say something too.

McCollum is way too high if you think Klay is a 3-D player. Basically McCollum is the 3 without the D in that scenario.

Reggie Jackson, shouldn't even be on the top 50 list, imo. Way over-rated as a player. Tons of guys you didn't select on your list who I would choose ahead of him.

Mike Conley at 49 is ridiculous. Especially considering you have Reggie Jackson at 35.

No way Oladipo should be in the top 50. He's done nothing in his career to suggest he should be that high. Also he's not going to have the ball in his hands a lot and for a guy who can't shoot, how is he going to produce with Westbrook?"

Not to say I nailed it....but yeah I nailed it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss What do you think of this list? You still a Westbrook fanboy?
I think overall it looks really good. Id have draymond over KI. Id drop Lillard. Id drop Isiah
For me, I didn't have a problem with your list because you value statistical output into your rankings. So from that stand point, I can understand you putting Westbrook there, even though I wouldn't. If it were a true overall player ranking based on skill and value to their team, I wouldn't have him above KD, Kawhi and Steph. Steph is more arguable, but definitely not ahead of KD and Kawhi. I basically have the top 6 players (who I believe are clear cut) put into two separate tiers.

Tier 1:
Lebron
KD
Kawhi

Tier 2:
Steph
Westbrook
Harden

Within the tiers, however you wanted to argue they rank, I would be fine with in general.

I don't think IT is anywhere near top 10 player in the league, even factoring statistical output because of how much of a liability he is on defense. Top 20 is fine, top 15 maybe, top 10, no.
I like both of your guys posts and lists.

I agree--- id drop IT and Lillard. Draymond id prob put up a few spots to top 15. CP3 has been awfully injury prone to sitll have in the top 10 but when healthy i can buy it. if this is JUST this year- id rather have bledsoe over teague

i love kyrie but id much rather have anthony davis. Id rather have towns than jimmy butler........the only laughable thingi see on here is whiteside over porzingis. Porzingis is loads better- so much more versatile.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think overall it looks really good. Id have draymond over KI. Id drop Lillard. Id drop Isiah

I like both of your guys posts and lists.

I agree--- id drop IT and Lillard. Draymond id prob put up a few spots to top 15. CP3 has been awfully injury prone to sitll have in the top 10 but when healthy i can buy it. if this is JUST this year- id rather have bledsoe over teague

i love kyrie but id much rather have anthony davis. Id rather have towns than jimmy butler........the only laughable thingi see on here is whiteside over porzingis. Porzingis is loads better- so much more versatile.

The only thing about this is that Cane is factoring statistical output. Pure value alone, in terms of youth and upside, I'd agree on Porzingas. But in a vacuum for one year, it's not laughable, but purely realistic.

Here were their side to side numbers last year:

Porzingas
18.1 PPG, 7.2 Reb, 1.5 APG, 2.0 BPG, 45% FG, 78.6% FT

Whiteside
17.0 PPG, 14.1 Reb, 0.7 APG, 2.1 BPG, 55.7% FG, 62.8% FT

Porzingas FG percentage is again affected by how much he plays on the perimeter, but Whiteside does take his fair share of mid-ranges too. Porzingas is much better ball handler and 3 point shooter. Whiteside is a much better interior defender, even though their block numbers are nearly identical.

Porzingas could be a prime candidate to take that next step into stardom though. There are really only two things holding him back right now and thats Melo and Hornacek.