• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

player prediction's - 1B

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks on Dimitri Young, unless they are going to trade Jones, having more below average options only makes things worse, IMO.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Illinest,

If you feel I am a troll and not a fan of this team... Ignore my posts
I could care less what you think of me personally...This is an internet message board... you telling me that I have a bad reputation means as much to me as you telling me you are 6 foot 5 and a semi professional boxer...

Noboby is in disagreement that Evans sample size is small... everyone involved has stated that fact... Also everyone here agrees that offense is more important than defense at first base...

Instead of cherry picking something, splitting a hair, and holding on for dear life...Why not try something else here?

Fact of the matter is I agree the sample size is small.

I do not want your respect... not really... I just like this team and like talking about the Pirates... If you want to talk about the pirates fine... If not fuck off...

How much clearer can I make it for you?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Etrius im really trying to help you. I got a private message from another member who understood what i was getting at but it appears to be going over your head.
It was a last ditch effort anyways. I've seen people try to explain it in polite terms, i've seen people just argue with you, and now i've tried in my own way.

Lets clear one thing up. You do not like discussing the pirates. You dont discuss anything. You make proclamations and you argue.
Is there really an ignore feature? I would gladly put you on ignore. Unfortunately even when i try to stay away from threads in which you have the most recent post i run the risk of seeing that i was told to fuck off when i scroll past your post.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they won't be signing Dmitri Young which is a good thing but might sign this guy:

[MEDIA=twitter]169548785054253056[/MEDIA]

Chris Gimenez Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

I know he was mainly a catcher but come on now how many non prospect players do you want floating around AAA?

I like Gimenez better than Fox, for whatever that is worth. Maybe Fox has an escape clause, and they do actually want someone who will stay on a minor league deal, Gimenez seems more likely to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Illinest

Thanks for all your help... and thanks for the opinion that I am not a fan of this team, and I do not like to discuss the players on it... But you will of course understand that since you consider me a troll and you seem to think I give a shit about how you perceive my internet reputation...That I do not really care!

We might not ever agree on anything...but even if we differ in opinion, we are still talking Pirates baseball... about players on the team...

And I do not care if Mags or someone else sends you a PM and strokes you off...What has that got to do with Discussing Evans or the Pirates?

absolutely nothing.....

So instead of the help... why not get back to Evans and you know the Pirates

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Etrius,

Illinest is fully capable of responding for himself, if he chooses to do so (and if he hasn't chosen to ignore you).

Meanwhile, I will point out that he NEVER posted an opinion that you are not a fan of the Pirates. That is another totally false assertion by you.

What Illinest DID post is, "Lets clear one thing up. You do not like discussing the pirates. You dont discuss anything. You make proclamations and you argue." (Emphasis added by me.) Thus, Illinest made a fair characterization of much of what you post.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nah i put him on ignore. It was his idea after all. You should do it too. I doubt you'll ever miss anything useful.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah i put him on ignore. It was his idea after all. You should do it too. I doubt you'll ever miss anything useful.

I understand why you did it, and I considered it myself..... because I KNOW I wouldn't miss anything useful.

But my next thought was, there's probably nothing that he'd like better than to be able to post all of his nonsense with impunity.

Bottom line: He doesn't deserve impunity and the board doesn't deserve letting his nonsense stand with impunity.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gimenez better than Fox, for whatever that is worth. Maybe Fox has an escape clause, and they do actually want someone who will stay on a minor league deal, Gimenez seems more likely to do so.

A curiosity question for you, element:

What do you see in Gimenez which puts him ahead of Fox for you? (.....other than the likelihood that he might stay on a minor league deal.)

I've never seen Gimenez play, and haven't seen Fox all that much..... but based on their stats, Fox looks better to me than Gimenez:

Jake Fox Baseball Statistics - The Baseball Cube

Chris Gimenez Baseball Statistics - The Baseball Cube

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags I was thinking the same thing. I never seen Gimenez play but not a telling sign for Jake Fox is that I totally forgot they signed him!

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mags I was thinking the same thing. I never seen Gimenez play but not a telling sign for Jake Fox is that I totally forgot they signed him!

Yeah, Fox seems like an afterthought, and no one (including me) is giving him much chance to make the team. But there are a few things about Fox which I find somewhat intriguing:

- He's only 29 (30 in July). I prefer a younger "never-was" to an older "has been."

- Although Fox played almost exclusively as a catcher early in his minor league career, his playing time in recent years (both majors and minors) has been spread around between OF, C, 1B, and 3B, indicating that he is reasonably versatile. His ability to serve as an emergency catcher, in addition to a bench bat and a corner fill-in, provides some potential value.

- He's shown some decent pop in spurts (although that likely would be challenged at PNC Park)..... and he almost surely has more power than Evans (although Evans is several years younger).

Assuming that NH fails to add an additional viable candidate for 1B, I think Evans has the edge over Fox for a roster spot..... but Evans can't catch. So, what Hurdle and company decide to do behind Barajas will play into the equation as well.

Maybe one of these years, the Pirates will enter Spring Training with fewer holes and fewer questions. But that would mean that the team has more proven players and is more competitive. I'm hoping I live to see that day.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A curiosity question for you, element:

What do you see in Gimenez which puts him ahead of Fox for you? (.....other than the likelihood that he might stay on a minor league deal.)

I've never seen Gimenez play, and haven't seen Fox all that much..... but based on their stats, Fox looks better to me than Gimenez:

Jake Fox Baseball Statistics - The Baseball Cube

Chris Gimenez Baseball Statistics - The Baseball Cube

I think it is the fact that I have seen Fox play a decent amount, and I know he is awful, in the way I knew Steve Pearce was awful. Although Fox's AAA stats are impressive, his 2009 numbers are video game numbers.

Probably more of an indictment on Fox, and not that I actually like Gimenez, either way, I don't want to see either on big league team unless it is on an emergency basis.

FWIW, it seems Gimenez is more of a catcher than Fox, so he's got that going for him.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well let me ask you this mags

You see yourself as some sort of internet hero... You say I do not deserve to be allowed to post without you stepping in and saving the board... Which is what you said... But let me ask you this.

What is more disruptive? Me posting my opinions about players or what the future holds... ( which you can ignore or silently agree or disagree with... or you making a point to start this shit all over again every time in every thread... over and over and over.

For example

If I said I think a player is going to hit 40 homeruns next year... you can go fucking bananas ... list their last season and link an article that says otherwise...Say I am crazy.... delusional... adding nothing of value to the board because it is not factual enough for your liking...

....... OR.........

You could say instead... based on previous performance by that player I disagree..

See how much easier that would be?

But no... you have to save the board ... and throw words around like "impunity"

A lot of people can take the time to throw big words around Mags.. I used to be employed writing for a living! But I work long hours now with an organic farm and I come on the internet to unwind and chat pirates baseball.... If I was retired like you and this board was my life I could get a spell checker and a thesaurus out and go over people's posts like you do also.

You have made this a vendetta... and your words here prove it...

Thing of it is you cannot help yourself... You feel compelled to do this... Over and over and over. This obsessiveness you feel is a problem Mags.. I suggest you talk to therapist or something.

Even when someone asks you stop... you know someone you consider to be adding value to this site... You refuse.

FWIW, I considered finding another place to chat about the pirates...but there were several decent posters that came over here, and I actually valued their opinions on this baseball team.... So I came here...

I thought you might be a problem Mags... I just did not envision you being this much of a prick... It took all of what 1 post for you to start this shit again?

I am tired of the arguing and the shenanigans Mags, but if you want to continue down this road.... So be it...

Make your posts, disrupt the board even more... and do your worst.... I have in the past asked you to stop, or to ignore me... but you have time and time again refused...

So this is what we are left with... I will not be bullied by you! I will post predictions, opinions and ideas concerning baseball and the Bucs... handle yourself accordingly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:

Seriously though, settle down.

I'm a giant Muppet, I can settle you down. :D

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry Darkstone...

But lines get drawn in the sand...

Just the way it is... If he wants to play this game, we will play this game.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ETRIUS ALERT

ETRIUS ALERT: Can't let all THAT nonsense stand unchallenged:

You see yourself as some sort of internet hero... You say I do not deserve to be allowed to post without you stepping in and saving the board... Which is what you said

No..... false..... that is NOT what I said.

- I do NOT consider myself "some sort of internet hero" (just more of your nonsense). I DO consider myself a credible poster, no different from the other regular posters here (except for you).

- I did NOT say anything which can be miscontrued into you "do not deserve to be allowed to post without me stepping in and saving the board." What I DID say is that you should not be allowed to post nonsense with impunity. No one else (including me) should be allowed to do that either.

What is more disruptive? Me posting my opinions about players or what the future holds... ( which you can ignore or silently agree or disagree with... or you making a point to start this shit all over again every time in every thread... over and over and over.

Easy to answer, without qualification: You are more disruptive, because you post so much nonsense (no need to re-hash..... the details are described in many other posts) and then endlessly deny that you posted nonsense. Stop posting nonsense, and I will stop posting rebuttals.

Another false claim: I do NOT post "every time in every thread." I post ONLY when you post something which I consider to be wrong, misleading, ambiguous, etc. That is indeed frequent, but FAR from "every time and every thread."

Seems reasonable to point out that you can "ignore or silently disagree" with my posts, as well, but you indicate no inclination to do so. At least I am posting "Etrius Alert" at the top of my posts to enable anyone to skip them if they so choose.

For example

If I said I think a player is going to hit 40 homeruns next year... you can go fucking bananas ... list their last season and link an article that says otherwise...Say I am crazy.... delusional... adding nothing of value to the board because it is not factual enough for your liking...

....... OR.........

You could say instead... based on previous performance by that player I disagree.

See how much easier that would be?

So, in addition to more false statements, you're making stuff up now?

- Interestingly, the "example" you posted never happened.

- I have NEVER "gone f***ing bananas" (as most readers would define that phrase). Instead, I have pointed out many specific instances where you posted wrong stuff..... along with rebuttals and corrections, backed by facts and references. I have done that without calling you names, cussing at you, or making inappropriate personal comments about your family (all of which you have done).

- I have NEVER called you crazy or delusional. What I HAVE said is that you post a LOT of non-value-adding nonsense and that you don't care about your facts or accuracy or logic. I stand behind that.

- By the way, as someone else once said, "You're entitled to your own opinions, but you're NOT entitled to your own facts."

But no... you have to save the board ... and throw words around like "impunity"

A lot of people can take the time to throw big words around Mags.. I used to be employed writing for a living! But I work long hours now with an organic farm and I come on the internet to unwind and chat pirates baseball.... If I was retired like you and this board was my life I could get a spell checker and a thesaurus out and go over people's posts like you do also.

You have made this a vendetta... and your words here prove it...

Thing of it is you cannot help yourself... You feel compelled to do this... Over and over and over. This obsessiveness you feel is a problem Mags.. I suggest you talk to therapist or something.

Even when someone asks you stop... you know someone you consider to be adding value to this site... You refuse.

FWIW, I considered finding another place to chat about the pirates...but there were several decent posters that came over here, and I actually valued their opinions on this baseball team.... So I came here...

I thought you might be a problem Mags... I just did not envision you being this much of a prick... It took all of what 1 post for you to start this shit again?

I am tired of the arguing and the shenanigans Mags, but if you want to continue down this road.... So be it...

Make your posts, disrupt the board even more... and do your worst.... I have in the past asked you to stop, or to ignore me... but you have time and time again refused...

So this is what we are left with... I will not be bullied by you! I will post predictions, opinions and ideas concerning baseball and the Bucs... handle yourself accordingly

A LOT of nonsense, self-justification, and name-calling here, most not worthy of comment, but here are a few thoughts in reply:

- Do you have problems with a word like "impunity?" Seems to me that such a word carries more meaning and value (especially for someone who claims to have been a professional writer)..... than "f***ing" as used by you.

- I do NOT go over posts (yours or anyone else's) with a Thesaurus or a spell-checker. (Yet another false claim.) I am interested in and comment on opinions, ideas, thinking, information, and facts..... NOT on spelling.

- No vendettas, compulsions, or obsessions are involved (on my part, at least)..... only a desire for high-quality and value-adding discussion about baseball and the Pirates.

- Clearly, you take no responsibility and you continue to blame our exchanges completely on me. I have made this pledge in the past, and I repeat it here..... you stop posting nonsense and I will stop refuting it.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the fact that I have seen Fox play a decent amount, and I know he is awful, in the way I knew Steve Pearce was awful. Although Fox's AAA stats are impressive, his 2009 numbers are video game numbers.

Probably more of an indictment on Fox, and not that I actually like Gimenez, either way, I don't want to see either on big league team unless it is on an emergency basis.

FWIW, it seems Gimenez is more of a catcher than Fox, so he's got that going for him.

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing.

I agree completely about NOT wanting to see either Fox or Gimenez on the big league team, given their past performance. But wouldn't it be great if one of these guys suddenly found himself and forced his way onto the roster? Rhetorical question..... admittedly low probability and unlikely, but I continue to dream of such things. Shame on me.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mags

I said the 40 homerun hitter was an example... I was giving you an example of something I might say that would be an opinion... Like... Pedro will hit a specific amount of homeruns.. or Burnett would have a specific ERA or strikeout total.

But you clearly missed that... Too busy with the whole..."You do not add value" spiel.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
AND

when you go back over every word and every line of my posts you are going bananas... And as a writer sometimes the best word is Fucking... so it applies...as it did when I said you went fucking bananas.