• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pitching injuries already

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, can we please have pitchers who are healthy for once. Ryu and now Anderson:

Hyun-Jin Ryu - Los Angeles Dodgers - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Brett Anderson - Los Angeles Dodgers - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

With Maeda's elbow being a question mark and McCarthy not coming back until July, I am not so confident in our starting pitching depth. I am sure Ryu and McCarthy will be fine but it might take longer than we think. Anderson has only been healthy for a year and Maeda's elbow appears to be a time bomb.

I want to know the concern level of the front office with this. Bottom line is that Kershaw, Wood and Kazmir are the only pitchers who are 100% healthy at this point. If the season started tomorrow, we would be in a bad spot. Of course Maeda in not injured but something is off with his elbow. Lets hope the De Leon can step in if needed and that Ryu gets healthy quick. The sky isn't falling but I am already concerned at this point.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Dodgers season is going start with the fans seeing a lot of Bolsinger & Beachy. I wouldn't expect any of the young arms to be thrust into the rotation early on in the season unless more injuries mount up.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is on our front office. Playing Russian Roulette has finally caught up. The season isn't over but with 7 x-GMs in the front office I am sure they know baseball comes down to pitching and health. The kids (De Leon and Urias) aren't ready and surely they had to see Anderson's injury coming a mile away. Why in the world did they give him a qualifying offer? We bid against ourselves and are paying him about 16 million to stay injured. Add Maeda's elbow issue and it doesn't look good. Hopefully Ryu and McCarthy come back strong but it takes time. I wish they would have signed healthy players who can get the job done.

If LA doesn't make the playoffs, it will be due to the pitching circus that is going on. You can't throw 15 different starting pitchers out there and hope to stay competitive year to year. The fact that LA has over 100 million invested in pitching and only has 4 starting MLB talented pitchers (Kersh, Kazmir, Wood and Maeda) is a joke. Injuries are part of the game but avoiding the medical history of players is irresponsible I feel.

Sorry for the rant but its absurd that they are doing this to themselves. Maybe....just maybe they have something up their sleeves. I love the Dodgers and support the Front Office even though I am confused as to why they do what they do.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this sucks

But no I can't "blame" (for lack of a better term) the front office here because this is exactly why they brought in all this pitching depth in case of injury. It sucks it happened this early especially at least in terms of where we're at depth wise right now. When Ryu comes back it'll lessen the blow considerably, but as for now we're in a tough spot.

And man I just hate when people say "I seen this coming from a mile away" please nobody can predict injuries, especially coming off a season a guy was completely healthy. It just sucks it happened to us.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the now the 5th starter spot for April is completely up in the air... Bolsinger, Beachy, Frias, Lee seem to have the best chances. Hopefully one of these guys kills it in Spring to earn the spot, of course I'd love for it to be a younger guy like Lee, I'd say De Leon has a chance if he kills it but that seems highly unlikely.

If nothing else this gives us a storyline to follow very closely now this spring.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With baseball pitchers, injuries tend to mount and become more frequent. The fact that Anderson has had maybe 2 or 3 healthy years in his pitching career tells you he is injury prone. The fact that he stayed healthy last year was a huge surprise. Throughout his career he is on the DL more than not it appears. He is just injury prone and I doubt he gets another chance to start in MLB because he cannot stay healthy.

Bottom line, we should not have resigned him as he was mediocre at best and has not had back to back healthy seasons in his career I believe. It was mistake and hopefully we move on from him after this year. He was awful in the post season.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderson has only one season of pitching over 100 innings since 2010. That is not good and we should start doing our homework with some of these players. That is all I am saying.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With baseball pitchers, injuries tend to mount and become more frequent. The fact that Anderson has had maybe 2 or 3 healthy years in his pitching career tells you he is injury prone. The fact that he stayed healthy last year was a huge surprise. Throughout his career he is on the DL more than not it appears. He is just injury prone and I doubt he gets another chance to start in MLB because he cannot stay healthy.

Bottom line, we should not have resigned him as he was mediocre at best and has not had back to back healthy seasons in his career I believe. It was mistake and hopefully we move on from him after this year. He was awful in the post season.

Don't sign a guy who was completely healthy last year? lol

Dodgers got a freakin' bargain when he accepted that QO. If we could tell the future, life would be a lot easier, huh?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is on our front office. Playing Russian Roulette has finally caught up. The season isn't over but with 7 x-GMs in the front office I am sure they know baseball comes down to pitching and health. The kids (De Leon and Urias) aren't ready and surely they had to see Anderson's injury coming a mile away. Why in the world did they give him a qualifying offer? We bid against ourselves and are paying him about 16 million to stay injured. Add Maeda's elbow issue and it doesn't look good. Hopefully Ryu and McCarthy come back strong but it takes time. I wish they would have signed healthy players who can get the job done.

If LA doesn't make the playoffs, it will be due to the pitching circus that is going on. You can't throw 15 different starting pitchers out there and hope to stay competitive year to year. The fact that LA has over 100 million invested in pitching and only has 4 starting MLB talented pitchers (Kersh, Kazmir, Wood and Maeda) is a joke. Injuries are part of the game but avoiding the medical history of players is irresponsible I feel.

Sorry for the rant but its absurd that they are doing this to themselves. Maybe....just maybe they have something up their sleeves. I love the Dodgers and support the Front Office even though I am confused as to why they do what they do.

I see Kershaw and Kazmir as the only certain quality starters, and Kazmir has over a 4.00 ERA over the past 5 years, so he isn't all that, although i think he will be better pitching in NL and at Dodger stadium. Wood has shown flashes of being decent and Maeda is a uncertain commodity, he has never faced major league hitters, so we really don't know what we have or don't have in him!
The rest of our starters are all injury prone, so we don't know what we will get out of them either, the kids just might have to ease their way in?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't sign a guy who was completely healthy last year? lol

Dodgers got a freakin' bargain when he accepted that QO. If we could tell the future, life would be a lot easier, huh?

I wouldn't sign him. He has been completely injury prone, had a 3.69 ERA and has only pitched over 100 innings once in 5 years. For almost 16 million....pass.

Of course he took the offer because nobody would have offered him anything close to that on the open market.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maeda's elbow is not a question mark. It's a possibility from concern, sure, but he has never had an issue with his elbow. Not one elbow injury. That's very important to remember.

With Maeda, I worry more about adjusting to MLB hitters, the ball itself (it's different in Japan), and pitching every 5 days instead of once a week.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maeda's elbow is not a question mark. It's a possibility from concern, sure, but he has never had an issue with his elbow. Not one elbow injury. That's very important to remember.

With Maeda, I worry more about adjusting to MLB hitters, the ball itself (it's different in Japan), and pitching every 5 days instead of once a week.

Gee something I agree with him on? So basically he is saying that Maeda is a question mark? We really don't have any idea what we have in him?

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't sign him. He has been completely injury prone, had a 3.69 ERA and has only pitched over 100 innings once in 5 years. For almost 16 million....pass.

Of course he took the offer because nobody would have offered him anything close to that on the open market.

Who cares? It's a 1 year deal

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but we passed on other pitchers because we thought he would be able to contribute to the rotation.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but we passed on other pitchers because we thought he would be able to contribute to the rotation.

Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody thought he would contribute. And probably still will.

Doctors said their is only a 10% chance a guy would injure the same disc in his back after a prior surgery. So no we didn't "see this coming."

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might have not seen the "back injury" coming but some sort of injury was a high likelihood. He has NEVER had back to back healthy seasons and has only pitched over 100 innings one time since 2010. He is one of the most injury prone players in baseball.

If he is back in 5 months, that would be August. After rehab starts, it would be September by time he is ready. So....yes, it was a bad call on our part. We should have gone with a pitcher with a better health history I feel, given Anderson's injury history throughout his career.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell me why he didn't get hurt last year? By that logic he should've been hurt last year too.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, he hasn't had back to back healthy years in his career. He had multiple injuries in 2014, however 2015 he was healthy.

Brett Anderson (baseball) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not going to argue with you. I had laid out the facts and I was against re-signing him due to his injury history. I was right as he probably won't pitching until September for us if at all. That is almost 16 million down the drain.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"back to back healthy seasons" what does that mean? who cares? that's just some made up equation

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"back to back healthy seasons" what does that mean? who cares? that's just some made up equation

It means that he can actually go to full seasons without getting hurt again. He has never been able to do that in his career.

Bottom line, it was a gamble by our front office and it didn't pay off. It was mistake, so at least now we know and can move on. We should not have re-signed him.

I doubt Anderson will get another real opportunity to pitch again. He will probably get an invite to camp or signed to a Minors deal but he cannot stay healthy period.