• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Philadelphia Phillies 2023 Baseball Season

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the thing.
Dodgers didn't hit. They lost.
Braves didn't hit. They lost.
Bottom line, Phillies didn't hit. They lost.

The DBacks did all the little things they needed to do.
That's what wins games in the post season.
Props to them.

All this stuff about Thomson and analytics is just noise.

Look at the box score of Game 7.
Phillies used 5 pitchers. DBacks used 6.
Both teams used 5 pitchers in Game 6.
Both teams used 8 pitchers in Game 4.
Both teams used 5 pitchers in Game 3.

Talk about analytics and matchups all you want, but one team executed better than the other team.
We can blame it on Kimbrel in games 3 and 4, but we had our chances in games 6 and 7.
We simply didn't execute.

I'm hot happy with how this season ended, but it was still a good season.
We need to have the Nola conversation.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, they're fine. They weren't trying to win anyway. They just wanted to string you along for a while so they could let you down. Did it work?
Yes, I was super excited.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That must have been rough sitting in the barracks, following the games on that shitty dial up internet they had back then, only to have them piss away their lead in two weeks.

Anyway, thank you for your service.

Internet? This was ancient history. We did a have radios back then. Only some Defense networks could communicate with each other through the ARPANET which evolved into the internet when TCP/IP was invented in 1983. Damn, I am freakin old.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 344274

Hope it stings for these 4.

They need better focus for 162 games. Can't win on just energy.

Hard to believe these four superstars would get shut out in the two most important games of the year. No one could have imagined such a dismal performance from these big money guys who played well all season. 3 of the 4 losses to the DBacks were by a total of 4 runs. Damn frustrating and sickening. So, credit AZ pitching staff.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now there is this about Thompson.

I had forgotten all about Walker for some reason. The guy had a great regular season record, most wins, 15-6, 4.38 ERA. He gave up 20 HR, while Nola gave up 32 HR, with a 4.46 ERA. However, his ERA was high in September, averaging 4 ER in each of 5 games so I guess Thompson saw him as a risk. It does seem like he earned a berth in the post season though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree jvett. Along with a lot of mismanagement by Thompson, a weak bullpen in a number of areas, and the big four overpaid stars going nearly completely silent in the batting department in Games 3 through 7, all contributed to letting the D-backs back into the series where they just took it.

Dildoes arrived in Game 3 and stayed. I don't think things will change in the future until the FO gets their heads out of their asses and begin to make some much needed changes. They also need to find a bunch of new pitchers who can get things done and add some more bats while moving the mentally weak ones out the door!

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year along with the “bullpen game” they should implement a “benchwarmer game” in which all of the scrubs warming the bench will play instead of the starters