• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

People are way too low on Bradford

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a few articles and done a fantasy draft now and I've seen a wide discrepancy of opinions on Amendola and Bradford. Here is an excerpt from Bill Barnwell's 'Bottom 8 teams in the NFL for 2013' which leads with a picture of Bradford:

"The difference between Sam Bradford throwing to Danny Amendola and Sam Bradford throwing to anybody else has been very stark during Bradford's brief NFL career. He gets about as much on each throw regardless — 6.1 yards per attempt to Amendola, 6.3 yards per attempt to all the others. Where he's differed has been in completion percentage. Bradford has completed 66.5 percent of his passes to Amendola, which has helped make his numbers look better and left him with a safety valve during those times when Amendola and Bradford were both healthy. When throwing to other receivers, Bradford has completed just 56.8 percent of his passes. In other words, he turns from an efficient-if-conservative checkdown artist with Amendola into the 2012 version of Blaine Gabbert without him.

At this point, Bradford is basically a ruthless checkdown artist; the Rams are the ones paying millions of dollars to put something they don't really understand or have any use for up on their wall right now, and since they've already done it once, they keep doing it. Bradford routinely doesn't see open receivers downfield or doesn't see them until the window is already closing. Just 6.8 percent of his passes since joining the league have gone for 20 yards or more, which is the lowest rate in the league for passers with 1,000 attempts or more over that time frame. The average rate for those quarterbacks is 9.3 percent, which tells you just how little of an impact Bradford has had. You can be a good quarterback in this league by checking down a lot — Matt Ryan is at only 7.6 percent, and Peyton Manning is barely ahead of him at 8.4 percent — but you need to complete 65 percent of your passes in doing so to repeatedly move the chains. Bradford is at 58 percent. If you want to succeed while completing 58 percent of your passes, you have to be like Cam Newton, who leads the league in this stat by turning 12.2 percent of his pass attempts into 20-plus-yard gains. If you're not completing a lot of passes and those passes aren't going very far, you're not pushing your team in the right direction."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lies, darn lies and statistics, I say. Year 1 was with Shurmur and year 2 was a waste so I feel that using those statistics to tell us anything about what Bradford will do this year is pointless.

His completion percentage last year was .5% lower than his Pat Shurmur rookie year when he was Captain checkdown but his yards per attempt went from 6.0 yards to 6.7 yards while doubling the number of passes over 40 yards and increasing his touchdowns by 3 and lowering his Interceptions by 2 all while taking only 1 more sack. As a result, his QB rating went from 76.5 in his rookie year to 82.6 in his 3rd year. Thats notable improvement especially when you pair it with the fact that the NFC West defenses he has been playing have gotten A LOT better.

I also thinks its important to note that a lot of stats that deal with Bradford's life without Amendola come in that dreadful Year 2 when everything went wrong.

So I think there is hope that Bradford is good enough to use the weapons around him. Givens really did help take the top off the defense on more than one occasion. Tavon Austin might be the first YAC receiver that Bradford has ever had. Bradford has only had 1 player in the top 40 of YAC in his career and that was Amendola in his rookie year (likely because Bradford was feeding him the ball right at the line of scrimmage)

Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola had catch rates of 62% last year. Austin Pettis had a catch rate of 63% last year. The sky isn't falling. Bradford is an ok QB and he should be a little better this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Counselor Chris

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that article pissed me off mostly because they could never rely on amendola heck he's only bringing up amendola because the media loves the patriots. Then he suggests that Bradford is essentially Blaine gab bert without him. Yet he threw for 3700 yards and 21 touchdowns last year and has a better supporting cast this year. Another thing Bradford doesn't have to be great for the rams to win games. The defense is so good an average performance can get it done.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are a guide to what has happened in the past. Stats are raw data rather than the whole truth. Sometimes stats correctly point out the cause of a problem but they can sometimes be the effect of a problem. Stats don't tell you who someone played with, played against, or what the situation was. Stats are like snapshot photographs of a building. You can't tell what it's like to live and work in a building just by looking at photographs. Bradford played well as a rookie, which is to say that he was just above league average as a QB that year. He was poor in his 2nd year. He was injured early that year and most of that offense was decimated by injuries. He was just below average last year. Some of that was on the team but equally Bradford was to blame for some of the poor decisions and bad throws. This off-season Bradford has looked extremely good, as in looking like a top 8 QB. We'll soon see if he is. People who haven't seen him play this year will base their opinions of him on his last 2 seasons.

For the record Bradford has strong footwork and throwing mechanics. Gabbert, (and Weeden who is very similar), have poor footwork and mechanics. They will likely always struggle because of them. Please don't bring FF in here. There's a FF section for people who want to talk about it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are a guide to what has happened in the past. Stats are raw data rather than the whole truth. Sometimes stats correctly point out the cause of a problem but they can sometimes be the effect of a problem. Stats don't tell you who someone played with, played against, or what the situation was. Stats are like snapshot photographs of a building. You can't tell what it's like to live and work in a building just by looking at photographs. Bradford played well as a rookie, which is to say that he was just above league average as a QB that year. He was poor in his 2nd year. He was injured early that year and most of that offense was decimated by injuries. He was just below average last year. Some of that was on the team but equally Bradford was to blame for some of the poor decisions and bad throws. This off-season Bradford has looked extremely good, as in looking like a top 8 QB. We'll soon see if he is. People who haven't seen him play this year will base their opinions of him on his last 2 seasons.

For the record Bradford has strong footwork and throwing mechanics. Gabbert, (and Weeden who is very similar), have poor footwork and mechanics. They will likely always struggle because of them. Please don't bring FF in here. There's a FF section for people who want to talk about it.
Oh, I fully agree on FF and what you say about footwork and mechanics.

I actually don't think Bradford was good his rookie year. I think he was given training wheels and a Charmin soft schedule. He was good for a rookie. I also think he has noticeably improved since then by taking on real defenses and attacking them with real passing routes.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford won the OROY award in 2010. It was a weak year but he was good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford won the OROY award in 2010. It was a weak year but he was good.
That whole year was smoke and mirrors. The team we had last year was much, much better. Certainly Bradford was. His QB rating went up and the NFC West went from one of the worst divisions ever in sports to arguably the best in football. Certainly the best on defense.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
put down the kool-aid, stop being a homer.

Sam has a good test versus AZ defense in week 1.

show me

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prediction: Sammie throws for 4200 yards, 25+ TD, <13 INT. Heard it here first folks.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25TD is too low for the weapons he is surrounded with this season.

He needs to be over 30.

I know you said 25+, but it needs to be 30+ to show everyone he is a franchise QB. The problem the Rams have had since Bradford has been here is inefficiency in the red zone. That needs to change.

He threw 3 more TD's than Ponder last season. I think most would agree that is not acceptable. He needs to take that next step. 4TD's more than last season is not the next step. It needs to be more.

Maybe I am being a little critical, but I think most would expect more from a QB that was taken #1 overall. I know I do.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25TD is too low for the weapons he is surrounded with this season.

He needs to be over 30.

I know you said 25+, but it needs to be 30+ to show everyone he is a franchise QB.
He isn't getting 30+ TDS. I'm going to tell you that right now. If thats your bar then he will fail. He isn't Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees and we certainly don't have the offensive weapons that Matt Ryan has.

Arizona's defense is somewhat lacking due to Daryl Washington being out and the secondary having some turnover. The Falcon's defense is starting 2 rookie CBs, IIRC. If Bradford doesn't have 4 TDs after week 2, Ill probably be a bit nervous but Im fully on the bandwagon right now.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not Clayton?

They moved up and drafted Austin because the guy could score from anywhere on the field, not to be a check down Charlie.

Cook gives Sam an athletic TE with speed that he has never had before. Givens and Sam will be in the same system as last year and be better for it. Pettis is serviceable and if Quick realizes his potential, I see no reason for Bradford to take a big jump in TD's this season.

He also has the best OL in front of him compared to his previous seasons so he should have the time to open up some of those longer routes.

If he doesn't hit 30, it better be close to it or it will be a disappointment to me.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the young and inexperienced backs the Rams have Sam should be passing a lot in the Red Zone...hopefully that will increase his TD total.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out real soon whether Bradford is a "prime time" QB. So far, when I think about the "great" QB's in the NFL, Bradford's name NEVER comes to mind.

I am hoping this season he'll give everyone a lot of good things to think about.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not Clayton?

If he doesn't hit 30, it better be close to it or it will be a disappointment to me.
I don't think Jeff Fisher has ever had a QB hit 25 let alone 30.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not Clayton?

They moved up and drafted Austin because the guy could score from anywhere on the field, not to be a check down Charlie.

Cook gives Sam an athletic TE with speed that he has never had before. Givens and Sam will be in the same system as last year and be better for it. Pettis is serviceable and if Quick realizes his potential, I see no reason for Bradford to take a big jump in TD's this season.

He also has the best OL in front of him compared to his previous seasons so he should have the time to open up some of those longer routes.

Geez ALR, those are some pretty high expectation.

Better yet, let's put this expectation in perspective.

In about the last 50 years (If not all time however I can only confirm since 1964) there have only been Eighty 30 plus TD's season by a QB. Of these, only 41 were by different QB's and only 3 were Rams.

Kurt Warner 1999, Jim Everett 1988, Vince Ferragamo 1980.

As a matter of fact, HOFer Joe Montana did it one time in his entire career.

Yep Sammie should do 30 minimum this season or it's a bust year and we should trade him for a late round draft pick while we still can. :L

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Sam kills it this season and shuts up all the doubters. He may have had a slow growth over his three seasons but he has gotten better by the season.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 passing TDs? I'll take the over. Fisher demonstrated last year that he's not the conservative dogmatic coach that he was reputed to be from 10 years ago. I haven't forgotten last year's fake punt, fake FG, 4th & goal attempts, etc. Throwing on 4 & goal from the 2 is statistically likely to outscore the points from FG attempts. Running the ball is likely to be worse than FG attempts. I'll be happy if we throw on every play from inside the opponent's 10 yard line. This would be true even if we still had a Steven Jackson type RB, but we don't. I expect our passing TDs to increase because we'll be wasting fewer plays. Last season Bradford threw 21 TD passes. We had 5 team rushing TDs, including 1 from Bradford.